Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

In game advertising

Discussion in 'Release 7 Feedback' started by Gubbles, Jul 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gubbles

Gubbles Avatar

@smack, I think that idea is a fairly good compromise. Pretty much allows everyone to do what they want. The downside to this though, is each individual player will have to manage it, instead of benefitting from it being managed by moderators.. But this negative for me, is probably someone's positive. So yeah, I think its a good solution.

Beaumaris likes this.
  2. Gubbles

Gubbles Avatar

@Joviex, I think the mob mentality could be easily mitigated. Players don't get to decide the rule or policy, they simply help identify what might be TOS violations. I think in the scenario you describe the 'mob' is griefing the mods. There are a number of things that could be done if this became a burden.. Some things that come to mind: 1. A cool down could be used, one report per week, for example. 2. Players that abuse the notification / bubble up mechanism are marked as repeat offenders and thier notification is simply ignored, and not counted towards the threshold required for bubbling up the report. 3. To produce a bubble up report require a count of some number of players that have 2-3 degrees of separation; essentially not counting your buddies, or your buddy's buddies notifications. This way the count among all your buddies are normalized to 1 count.

Joviex likes this.
  3. prospereau

prospereau Avatar

4. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

This is my exact stance on PvP. You make a system that is based on the player policing themselves and you end up with people finding ways to use that systems against others. It's impossible to fully police ourselves.

So what do they do, make a better system. In the case of the pic in this thread, the owner of the lot is at risk of losing their account which means losing their lot - something of limited quantity and valuable.

1. Allow lot owners the option to prevent others from dropping items on their lot.
    2. Loose item placement is tracked. The decay rate is increased based on quantity of items placed on the ground.
    3. Make advertising actionable by the ToS.

The ToS is only one part of the solution, the catch all. The prevention comes from many sources, one being a better system, and I am betting this team has had to deal with this problem before.

Joviex and Duke Gréagóir like this.
  5. Alexander

Alexander Avatar

They also create lag and client crashes for some. I'm expecting Chris to set the limits on item placement within each property lot. This should reduce lag and probably deal with this other issue as well.

Joviex likes this.
  6. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

The maze didn't necessarily create lag, it was the 4000 items they stuck in the shelves :p

7. Alexander

Alexander Avatar

Well, depends on the machine you are running and your network speed. As it is now, I can no longer log into the game because I crashed in Owls head, near two houses with lots of stuff on it. I had a similar problem last weekend with Valemark.

Edit: The 4000 items in the shelves didn't help either. Hopefully, this will be dealt with by next release.

8. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

Caps were mentioned for next release as well as other optimizations :)

9. Alexander

Alexander Avatar

Yea, I know. I'm looking forward to it. At least I had some time in this release. :)

10. Andrew Knightowl

Andrew Knightowl Avatar

It's easy thing to do if i did not like something i seen i walk away from the location>Ignore /walk away :)

smack likes this.
  11. Carlin the Druid Archer

Carlin the Druid Archer Avatar

Yeah, I think the mazes etc should be done with specific 'pieces' - I think @Chris is working on that!

Alexander likes this.
  12. smack

smack Avatar

True, that responsibility would be on each player to "squelch" the lot decorations, but that's going to be the case for any in-game issue. The mods/GMs ultimately still need to deal with each and every reported infraction, however minor. They could also impose cooldowns or limitations on the repeated spammer, such that they can't decorate for some amount of time or lose their lot or ultimately get banned.

I had thought about an in-game reputation for spammers, such that you can subscribe to this "spammer ignore list" -- which is maintained by the mods/GMs -- and those lot decorations would be turned off or the spammer is squelched in chat for you automatically. You can override of course. A player maintained one can be done, but it would apply only to your party or guild, and only for as long as you're a member of one of those.

Regarding other ideas in this thread, such as imposing decay rates on items, limiting number of items on the lot, etc. I think those are ok temporary solutions to solve the technical bugs that they need to solve. They should continue to optimize the client and server code to raise those limits as much as technically possible.

But again, just a good TOS in place and let the players report it as they see it, and then let the mods/GMs deal with it. Everyone can continue to enjoy artistic freedom without also being punished for the infractions of others.

Tarsin likes this.
  13. Alexander

Alexander Avatar

Easy to do if you don't end up crashing while trying to walk away, which is what happened in my case :)

14. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Regarding the opening post, it is a fantastic example of the flexible creativity that the game will allow but also a portent of how it might be taken to extreme. Finding the right balance between sense of immersion and sense of freedom/flexibility to express oneself is going to be a tough balance for the dev team to find. Ultimately, I believe that if they limit the number of items that one can place based on lot size, that these kinds of things ultimately will be self-policing though. If there are plenty of cool things to place in a home or on a lot, players will want to divert their quota of items to that vs. creating a boneyard of item stacks.

15. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

We'll likely leave that kind of stuff up to the town owner to deal with in player owned towns. They will have the power to evict people who misbehave. We'll definitely not allow stuff this blatant in the real game but exactly how we deal with it is still in question. Through a special bank overflow container, we have ways to evict people from a lot and and put all their items in storage. I suspect we'll just do that for people who grossly break immersion like this but as always, don't lawyer me bro. I'm sure we'll have lots of discussions on this as players try and push and find where the line is.

16. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

I can see it now. An entire player run metropolis full of avatars standing outside someone's tricked-out lot with torches and pitch forks...... :)

NRaas likes this.
  17. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Probably more like a flood of mail messages sent to the owner to remove the offending "art work", since the owner could easily play SPO mode and not even see the lynch mob outside their house.

Then when that doesn't work: A flood of mail messages to the town owner petitioning an eviction. :)

18. Andrew Knightowl

Andrew Knightowl Avatar

Then in that case i hope they(Dev's)have a fix for that issue >we still have basement's being added too are home's .

Alexander likes this.
  19. Duke Lorimus

Duke Lorimus Avatar

I admit I agree with Op , many things said after the fact also make allot of sense .... I hope we can stop things like that once the game is released but I would feel bad for people that enjoy (and I would enjoy) strange but creative things on during special times Ie ,, the U.S... Independence day this week end is a big thing so someone removing their house for the weekend to make something festive is Sweet,Awesome, and appreciated .. but anything ...... Selling this lot ,,,,, selling goldfish, or I hate life statements just has no place in the active world,,,...... So how can we do this for fun on special days but not have it on normal days ..... *sigh* :O)

20. Duke Lorimus

Duke Lorimus Avatar

Oh and Im not harping on the person that made that yard . it is creative and its pri alpha so im ok with it .... but the rest of my statement stands :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.