WoW Clone or something ground breaking?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by chipset35, Jul 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chipset35

chipset35 Avatar

I would like to know if this game will be something ground breaking and innovative that breaks the current trend of WoW clone MMOs?
    I expect Richard Garriot to be able to finally break that trend and move MMOs to their next level.

2. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Ground Breaking.

3. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

It entirely depends on what you think makes a WoW clone. Everyone has their own opinions on that subject.

SoTA is doing some groundbreaking stuff. The selective multi-player format is pretty ground-breaking. But, for people who think the only way to avoid being a WoW clone is anarchic freedom to do whatever you want to whomever you want.... well for them SoTA will be a bit of disappointment.

So, we need more information to properly answer your (loaded) question.

Ragnabrock, Retro, Olahorand and 9 others like this.
  4. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Despite it being a completely loaded question that will likely result in a 1000 reply thread and the OP never to be seen again...it's not really that hard to answer. It's ground breaking. Any more questions OP? :)

5. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

I will break the ground here!

6. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

I broke wind. Does that count?

7. Mata

Mata Avatar

Welcome

Olahorand, Lord Baldrith and Gaelis like this.
  8. KingPramus

KingPramus Avatar

I really don't like the narrative you're trying to paint here. What you say is "anarchic freedom", people on my end of the spectrum see it as "realistic immersion". Both camps want the game to be great, just differing opinions.

Honestly though, I feel as though this game should not be called sandbox if there are such restrictions on PVP. And sadly I also believe that will be its downfall

*shrug*

Betamox likes this.
  9. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

I apologize if my wording offended, but my intent remains the same. SoTA is NOT a game where you can do whatever you want to whomever you want. I think it's one of it's best features.

Actually, I was trying to side-step a huge non-consensual vs. consensual PvP explosion. It may be inevitable. :p

10. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

It indeed, will turn a few away, but it will gain more than it loses I believe, the hardcore gamer is usually a lonely gamer in todays world. Many games have come and left because of the open world/full loot/griefing "realistic immersion" which you speak of. I know many people have sentimental value in the system you talk of, but it is not in the cards in this game as it was in classic uo, but it will have pvp and it probably will be a blast, you just will not be able to gank unwanting victims.

11. Colt47

Colt47 Avatar

This game doesn't seem anything like a WoW clone. The game reminds me a bit more of a better done Ultima 9. Especially given how easy it is to end up dead at the hands of a monster.

12. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

I'm sure there will be many things like WoW as WoW has taken many of the best ideas from many games over the last 10 years.

No one is going to try to clone WoW on their budget though. They have to find some niches and be innovative.

Silent Strider likes this.
  13. Athelstan

Athelstan Avatar

It's just another Mazewar clone.

;)

14. draykor darkale

draykor darkale Avatar

Not a wow clone, far removed from that, but ground breaking and innovative? No, not really. Its pretty Niche and does have some innovative ways of making an MMO but need to be really careful throwing around things like groundbreaking.

15. KingPramus

KingPramus Avatar

Not a WoW clone, but definitely NOT ground breaking. In my opinion, if people are looking for ground breaking you might want to wait for ArcheAge or The repopulation. Both of those seem like better examples as to what a sandbox game will be. Now, don't get me wrong. I'll still pick this up for s&gs, but to say this game is groundbreaking, especially since it's just going to be heavy on the PVE side (like nearly every other mmo out there) I just don't see it being anything more than a niche title. Best thing to do is wait and see though...

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

16. Silent Strider

Silent Strider Avatar

And I always find it funny when I see people complaining that SotA doesn't plan to take PvP and player looting far and suggest other games that, in some areas, have even less of that.

In ArcheAge the only looting allowed on "blue" players is taking their resource packs (used just for some dailies related to building things, and apparently free players won't have access to building things) or extra backpacks (they increase the inventory size, but slow down the character). Gear can only be looted from "red" players (and pirates are perma-red). SotA seems to actually feature more, when it comes to looting, than ArcheAge, even with the current ransom system.

The Repopulation will start with just the "normal" servers, where player looting is disabled and PvP is completely optional (the devs have pledged to have the full range of difficulty levels inside protected zones, allowing players to basically do anything PvE while completely opting out of PvP), though down the line they plan to add "hardcore" servers.

SotA is not skimping on PvP. It's just making sure that players that don't want to engage in PvP are given that option, exactly like one of the "innovative" games you mentioned, The Repopulation.

NirAntae, Retro, docdoom77 and 2 others like this.
  17. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

Yes, because anything sandbox or PvP heavy is "groundbreaking." We've NEVER seen those things in a game before. :confused:

I think some people confuse groudbreaking with "my preferred playstyle." And stale with "not my preferred playstyle."

18. KingPramus

KingPramus Avatar

I'm not confused at all. What's groundbreaking to me might not be so for you. Its all a matter of opinion at the end of the day. In the short while I've been here I really have grown weary of the anti-pvp circle-jerk present in most the threads here regarding whether it will fit in the game or not. I'll just leave it as a agree to disagree type of thing and just leave the discussion all together. Have fun guys.

19. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

Groundbreaking is not a very subjective term. It means "doing something new" or "doing something in a new way."

Also, if you don't want to participate in PvP vs. PvE arguments, you probably shouldn't use PvE as the core of your argument. It invites said discussions.

There's no need to get mad about it.

As to your last statement. Thanks! I will have fun!

20. Angor

Angor Avatar

You could go to You Tube and check out the videos of the other releases and decide for yourself. I think you will find its not a WoW clone, nor anything unheard of. But it is a totally different take on the MMO's that are out there now.
    That's just my two coppers.

L.M. Avorin Swiftslay and Kaisa like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.