Stealing

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by ghostthealienhunter, Apr 22, 2014.

?

Should SOTA have the stealing skill?

1. Yes.

76.5%
  2. No.

8.8%
  3. Maybe.

14.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

"These are all great thoughts!"
    and made by testing players that should know something of what They're talking about.

I know that at times, the Time Lord can seem as if he's thinking too far outside the box to the point of the reader thinking that they're reading something written by Peter Pan o_O but this is New Britannia where such thoughts can bring better minds to bare on the subject.

There's no chance that any Rogue styled skill set can be well designed by Public Release #1, but I for one am very happy about this. That's because we will have had time to have experienced our new SotA styled New Britannia and that will help us begin to start thinking with our better SotA heads, rather than with our old UO styled thinking o_O

Yet there is one thing we must keep in mind and that is that we must leave room for those coming Rogue styled skills so the Mages and the Knights do not tread on the skills that belong to the Rogue. Because any Rogue style skills that ether the Knights or Mages have, will have to be less than what the Rogue will have... because he's the Rogue and not them. Specialized Skills, just as those of the Mage and the Knight must be more special to each of them, the Rogue's skills need to be just as special to his skill tree with the same special dominance.

I personally believe that even our creators, have many UO thoughts they need to leave behind them to create anything Truly New. I do think they are doing well at this, but I also feel we all will be thinking with a much more clear SotA head after public launch and we've begun to "live it" :D

~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

2. Xail

Xail Avatar

Interesting the poll is in favour of stealing...
    I hope democracy will win :)

Time Lord likes this.
  3. Radicast

Radicast Avatar

i would like stealing it was always fun looking over your shoulder gives the game a more realistic feel to it.
    mind you i would like the chance to call guards or run the thief down myself. but would be fun

4. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

I believe stealing can be valuable in SOTA. It in my opinion could only be used in flagged pvp combat but it can work. Especially in guild warfare and factions. I look forward to more discussion on this as I am very interested in this subject. Also bards did tie in with thieves in most fantasy works. :)

Time Lord likes this.
  5. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

I don't just want to be a common pick pocket :( but I would like to be a bank robber ;)
    I just wonder if I'd do it with the ~TL~ chr or not...2nd account maybe o_O
    Na'.... If I did it, I'd do it strait up... ~bad Time Lord~ :(

6. Super Ki

Super Ki Avatar

Everytime i look at a thread in there its the same thing. Some people who loved the old UO and tries to get just a little of that feeling back, and a lot of players who basicly wants a game like every mmorpg out there, just with houses and boats.

If you just want to grind gold and items - Never have the chance to loose these items and never have to fear for anything other than running back to your corpse - Then why not just play WoW or any game out there.

I dont understand why you are trying to stop this great chance to make a different game then all the others out there?

I personally feel that if they make the option to opt in and out of everything in this game, they might aswell have different servers. Hardcore and Bunny servers. Cause there is nothing fair about some people being able to get killed and stolen from and other half never having to fear anything.

They great thing about UO was all the different things you could do LIKE stealing, Pking, mining, animal taming.

RancidRat likes this.
  7. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

I admit there was some fun stuff in UO for a thief but I realize this is not UO. I am leaning more toward the D&D rogue/ranger. The one that you needed in the party but didnt want. He was a loner, but had certain skills that where useful to a party because of the value of the skills such as lockpicking, detecting, setting and disarming traps, infiltration and information gathering. This is possible in this game through factions and guild warfare. I understand and do not wish to steal or grief anyone that does not wish so, because in this game, that is their right. Personal property rights are very important to me in real life and in game. I wish not to force my playstyle on anyone, without consent.

Heradite, Noctiflora and Time Lord like this.
  8. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

This made me think of an important SotA quest line I hope to see:

"Kinga Kidnapped! / Rescue the Princess of New Britannia!"

With thievery we could be on either side of this quest line, and it could lead to some passionate guild vs. guild PvP too.. :D

Time Lord likes this.
  9. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

10. Silent Strider

Silent Strider Avatar

I just want what was promised from the start. An Ultima-like game where I have the choice of to which extent, and in which way, I will interact with other players.

Because, sincerely, I will never, ever, engage in non-consensual PvP, steal from another player, loot another player, and a few other things; and if any such thing can be done to my character without my explicit consent, I will not play. Without the strong promise that I will be able to opt out of any player interaction I see as detrimental to the game I would never have backed it in the first place.

A few of those are highly subjective. I saw early UO as, quite frankly, worthless as entertainment exactly because players could steal from and PK each other.

Noctiflora, Time Lord and Ned888 like this.
  11. Venusada

Venusada Avatar

I would not mind thieves as long as they are not able to steal items from players that are highly valued physical items which was bought from SOTA website store.

12. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Small irritating theft is just that... "for irritation value"...
    If there were quests involved or banks to be robbed or NPC's to be kidnaped, then that is very different and I'm all for those...
    I just think a pick pocket is a cheap thrill only for one person and an irritant to the other.
    Challenging and Fun for All!
    that's the way any game should be.

Eriador and Lord Baldrith like this.
  13. Silent Strider

Silent Strider Avatar

Yep, that is one of the most obvious uses for NPCs; fulfilling roles that players wouldn't want to fill. While I would likely not do it — I often find it hard to enjoy playing evil, or even just ambiguous, characters — stealing from NPCs, or even doing worse things with them, is perfectly fine as long as it is properly balanced in order to avoid overshadowing other career paths (and to be competitive with those other career paths).

Time Lord likes this.
  14. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

I think the real question of whether or not stealing would be good or bad, is exactly what it would add to the game.

If it winds up being a toolbox for PvP and griefing, to sneak up on someone on the battlefield and clean out their inventory (as they somehow don't notice their pack becoming fifty pounds lighter...o_O) and then attacking them, so they can discover themselves defenseless without all their items... meh. It's unrealistic, and I would see that as a gimmick.

If on the other hand it becomes a great new type of adventure, people can have their entire house "flagged for PvP" with traps, and locks, and magickal wards and guardians, designing little mini-adventures in their homes... and thief characters can break in and risk dieing in return for looting a wealthy player's mansion... that would be awesome!

I have long enjoyed playing stealth or stealth/hybrid characters, it's one of my more common approaches, and games that let you use stealth to do things differently, solving problems in unique ways via skill and misdirection instead of brute force, have long been an entertaining and much loved pastime for me.

I remember fondly VANILLA WoW instances that sometimes had entire "stealth routes" through to crucial bosses, traipsing along gutters and elaborate scrollwork, dodging wandering patrols (with stealth detecting dogs!)... none of which were even apparent to people assaulting the front door. A couple of stealth characters could experience a dungeon as a TOTALLY different place than when played with normal "kick the door in" style tactics. To have that become part of SotA, having not only monster filled dungeons, but towns, PvP guild fortresses, warzones, and major plot events like that? AWESOME.

Then again, I remember WotLK, where 50% or more of the mobs in every instance were given stealth detection, just 'cause, the PvP became centered around large objectives that sent up flares when triggered, unconcealable vehicles, etc... that completely devalued and insultingly crippled stealth tactics, so that the role of the Rogue type character became to occasionally open a door or interrupt a boss ability, or go into open world PvP and look for some lone enemy to murder (and, having searched for hours for just the right one, murdering him over and over due to lack of other targets, thus forcing griefing-esque behavior)... LAME.

I think that PvP towns should be theft enabled. You want to live there, fine. The land is cheaper. The houses are cheaper. Your place can get totally broken into and robbed and burned to the ground. But you still own that plot of land. Feel free to rebuild, better this time.

I think that PvE towns, the ones established by the devs as plot and quest centers, should be theft disabled, with the land and housing more expensive, and your tax dollars (or gold, or marks, or silver talents, or whatever) paying for well trained guards who spot Rogues, guard-dog patrols, magickal scrying defenses, etc, so that thieves cannot just sit around in the equivalent of the local bank stealing fortunes in seconds.

15. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

RIGHT ON! GREAT POST! :)

Time Lord likes this.
  16. Johnny Black

Johnny Black Avatar

First post!

I hope that there is some sort of pickpocket-esque play style available in this game. Though it should be within reason, i.e. I can't steal a bastard sword of someone's back. I think if I could get a five-finger discount on some gold that someone isn't paying attention to, that would be suitable. Also, being able to lift keys of guards in dungeons, as in DnD, would perhaps make the rogue style of player more socially acceptable (make us useful to adventuring). I plan on playing a shady character and if thievery is added to the game, then it will make it into my repertoire; if it does not make an appearance in the game, I will just have to fill my time with other nefarious deeds.

17. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

and your first like good sir!

Time Lord likes this.
  18. Johnny Black

Johnny Black Avatar

Thank you good Sir

19. Super Ki

Super Ki Avatar

How are those skills worthless? For a lot of people they were the best memories and the most entertaining part of the game. I mean, i just dont get how you can call it worthless? Can you specify whats entertainment for you, if not the thrills?

20. Silent Strider

Silent Strider Avatar

I didn't say the skills were worthless. I said, instead, that a game where I can be attacked by other players without consent, or stolen from by other players, is simply not worth playing for me, because I don't find it fun in any shape or way.

I don't get enjoyment from merely defeating other players. It's that simple. My brain is not wired for liking that kind of competition.

On the other hand, both causing setbacks on others and having setbacks caused on me by others make me feel bad, which means that any system that allows players to harm each other in lasting ways is a pure negative for me, reducing the enjoyment of the game without adding anything worthwhile.

As for what I enjoy in games like this: about everything else apart from non-consensual PvP, or any kind of PvP with meaningful penalties for the loser. PvE challenges (both solo and group), jumping puzzles, questing, crafting, building and decorating a house, PvP when it's consensual and there is no penalty for the loser, roleplaying, etc; as long as it does not involve non-consensual player interaction, or else players causing setbacks to one another, I likely enjoy it.

Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.