Are any RP towns forming yet?

Discussion in 'Player Owned Towns' started by Sarg, Jul 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sarg

Sarg Avatar

Hello there,

Search comes up with distressingly few mentions of the word "roleplay" in this forum. Are any groups forming that have RP as their foundation?

Thanks for any assistance!

Mata likes this.
  2. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

RP is somewhat implied in most of the ones so far. Artair's holdfast for example is intended for druids and ranger types. Duke Greagoir's has a celtic theme etc. I'm not sure on the others. I haven't taken a close look at any of them yet as I have my own interests. PaxLair has a lot of RP going on just in terms of community and culture.

I'm really starting to look forward to seeing how they all develop.

Samlee and Duke Gréagóir like this.
  3. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

All of them. That's really the purpose for buying a town.

4. Beli

Beli Avatar

Welcome Sarg. Yes there is a strong community of Rpers here, their voices have kind of been whispers of late while they wait for other aspects of the game to be deployed, but yea there is a major foundation of RPers here.

5. Mata

Mata Avatar

Welcome

6. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

Yes! Just like in UO; the first official player town in SotA (stated by devs) was/is PaxLair! http://sotawiki.net/sota/PaxLair

I'm more of a casual RP type person myself but I can tell you with the amount I've hung around they are immersive RPers and really nice people... I would suggest you check them out!

7. Biblik

Biblik Avatar

This is incorrect there were plenty of player towns prior to PaxLair in Ultima Online.

*Edit* I am not trying to rain on everyone's parade in regards to PaxLair I just feel like when you go around and saying that the first Player town was PaxLair you are trying to change the history of the game to tailor it to your altered reality. The truth is that PaxLair is probably the *longest running* player town but was not the first.

Soleidad and Golem Dragon like this.
  8. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

I'm referencing to what has been said by Lord British about UO... I wasn't there for the start and came in during t2a

9. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

Will PaxLair have all the various lot sizes?

10. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Thank you Bowen for mentioning the "Celtic Holdfast".

More information out what we are doing is at http://www.sotamuseum.com/CelticHoldfast

We are 100% committed to bringing this Celtic themed town to Shroud of the Avatar that the Holdfast is purchased and planning has begun.

The final name has not been selected yet so we are going by "Celtic Holdfast" for the time being.

All Druids, Bards, Rangers, Shepards, and Knights wanting to live in a Celtic themed town or anyone wanting to visit and down a pint of ale while sitting down by the water/trees/Standing Stones Circle are welcome!!

11. Golem Dragon

Golem Dragon Avatar

Arx Draconis on the Atlantic shard of UO was the first player town in UO to my knowledge, based on just timestamps... I wonder if any of those peeps from that shard are bringing it back... I know I enjoyed the Great Lakes shard player towns cause I was on that shard, but I always preferred living off in the wilderness...

kadumel likes this.
  12. mdsota152

mdsota152 Avatar

I’m probably the odd-ball here. I’ve purchased a holdfast for my lord marshal for his ‘summer retreat’ (and a few other vain reasons)… but I don’t plan on advertising it ahead of time or on the forums… I’m very much a RP’er and I want to do it all in game. For me it's very immersion breaking to be playing something in game then ducking out to forums/blogs/facebook/wiki’s to check on things or post notices. I’m hoping Port implements a lot mailbox or town bulletin board (or allow a means to adjust what the town criers says) as a means to pass on information while staying in character and in game. (I’m not sure my lord marshal is up to learning about forums and web etiquette ;).)

13. Winfield

Winfield Legend of the Hearth

Correct, PaxLair was not the first player town in UO. PaxLair was established on Chesapeake on January 19, 1998 as we have always stated. I emphasize this more clearly now in the History section on our http://www.sotawiki.net/sota/PaxLair wiki page. Thanks.

On June 12, 2014, Lord British said PaxLair "was the first town in any online game. It was built in the beta of Ultima Online and it still exists to this day. " which is not accurate regarding PaxLair specifically as we know. Our founding Guild: The Band was in UO beta on Atlantic, then moved to Chesapeake in the Yew Prison guard zone and set up Band Isle as a little village of guild-member houses. Then we moved to where PaxLair is now in UO on January 19, 1998 because we ran out of space on Band Isle and wanted to be in a combat zone. So the legacy goes back to Beta, but the town did not exist until January 19, 1998.

Our established date for PaxLair in SotA is the opening of R5, April 24, 2014, as the first player town in SotA (according to Lord British).

Thanks for helping us ensure our documentation is correct!

14. Winfield

You are not the odd-ball at all here. I very much agree with your ideas cartodude. We of PaxLair are maintaining and writing on a Wiki that will have a lot of information transferred to in-game books, plaques, letters, mailboxes, messageboards, house signs, etc. if/when those things become available.

In fact, that is how we are designing (and testing) our PaxLair Town Hall. When new capabilities come into the game for the Releases, we will try them out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Winfield

PaxLair is being built with a metropolis-sized player-owned-town add-on. So we can have house lots of all sizes. We are working on what size lots are needed for our town which is not simply based on who will be there on Day 1. It is based on what the town needs for an immersive town environment over time. We hope the town lot sizes and layout will last for many years to come.

You can see in our PaxLair Wiki Page a list of buildings we are planning, as is natural for any kind of town management planning.

At the time of this writing, the planned buildings are:
    • Arena
    • Armory
    • Barracks
    • Castle
    • Cemetery
    • Courthouse
    • Crafter Hall
    • Embassies
    • Fleet House
    • Library
    • Merchant Hall
    • Museum
    • Tavern
    • Theater
    • Town Hall
    • University
    • Welcome Center
    All the buildings may not be established right away on Day 1; our thinking is PaxLair people will start as "settlers" in New Britannia, wondering how we got there from Britannia. We will meet new people in New Britannia, become friends, and build PaxLair together.

16. No Longer In Use

No Longer In Use Avatar

This thread gave me the final push I needed, I guess. Holdfast purchased. I have a lot of diagrams and website information to assemble. ;-)

Applications for player-residents welcome!

17. mdsota152

mdsota152 Avatar

Winfield... I've been following what PaxLair has been up to and I think it's pretty cool. I'm hoping Port eventually put's more functionality into towns (like guards, small upgrades like walls, traveling merchants, etc) once they finish with the core of the game. I plan to use the writable books extensively to track things in game too. As a cartographer I was hoping they'd make the maps mark-able also.

By odd-ball I partially meant I was creating a holdfast for less altruistic reasons... it literally was for my lord's retreat and so he could get his name on the map (hey as a cartographer I've always wanted to do that!:rolleyes:) But the hold will be open to any other RP's that want to get away from city life.

18. Winfield

@cartodude

In UO long ago, we had some villages and locations specialized as "retreats" where city officials and people could go to relax, have an "off-site" discussion, and do a little fishing. There was even some friendly sparring.

I could certainly imagine your holdfast something like that if you desire. What about even the idea of people coming, placing a house for a week or two or a month (unlock a lot, lock it back up later), then they depart with their house and belongings. It could be a "vacation" spot?

Just brainstorming a bit with the concept.

Maybe people could come from other player-owned-towns, where they don't lose their original lot location in their home town -- it could be a bit fun to move around between towns a little. Maybe even set up your holdfast for things like Halloween with scary people. Or people come and work with you as they create a huge Christmas/Winter Village for a season. I think possibilities are endless given creative minds and flexible game mechanics.

19. mdsota152

mdsota152 Avatar

That sums up what i was planning on doing with my lord... I was hoping they would allow fishing spots but from what i saw elsewhere that's not to be. I do plan on setting up a house on a village lot that can be used by others for "offsite" meetings.

Gaelis likes this.
  20. No Longer In Use

No Longer In Use Avatar

If I may ask, where did you see the info about fishing spots in player-owned towns, and who posted it?

Lord Baldrith and Winfield like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.