PaxLair Player Town

Discussion in 'Player Owned Towns' started by Winfield, May 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Azoetia Dragon

Azoetia Dragon Avatar

When I heard that PaxLair would have a presence in New Britannia I told myself that getting involved was a must. I am very much looking forward to SotA bringing back the actual RP in RPG.

As a player owned city I assume then there will be an abundance of lots? I have a town deed and would very much like to set up residence.

2. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

I congratulate you on your Town! I have not found a city yet but i am looking for a row house lot in one of the player cities also id like to direct you to this it may be of interest to you and your city! :)

Arena/Gladiator Tourneys "Gladiator Games"

Numa, Winfield and Time Lord like this.
  3. Polution

Polution Avatar

PaxLair seems the right place for me. I would like to join and live in it if i'm allowed. :)

4. Mata

Mata Avatar

Congratulations!
    I had already to be allowed to visit the pleasure of your city.

5. Winfield

Winfield Legend of the Hearth

Oh I am so sorry for my late reply. It's been a very busy week, and I do apologize! We are honored by your kind statement about bringing RP back in RPG. We try hard to be realistic inside the Realm as much as we can!

Sir, I'm pleased you are interested in PaxLair! Great! We hope to see you in the pre-alpha releases.

Our allocation of lots isn't sorted out yet. Right now we are meeting people through the forums and in the pre-alpha releases inside the game. We want to test ideas in the pre-alpha releases too, like world-wide / multiple time zone events in R7, books in R8, more community crafting, PvP effects on a player town, government ideas, and much more. All these things will help everyone decide if PaxLair is the right place for them and each other.

So we aren't allocating lots yet. But we are committed to meet people, get fresh ideas, find out who is interested and what they want to do in and around PaxLair. Thanks for your patience!

6. Gubbles

Gubbles Avatar

Hi Winfield,

In the Player Towns thread, you mentioned there will be a PaxLair government. Are there currently any penciled in details about what this will entail?

Time Lord likes this.
  7. Winfield

Indeed!

See our PaxLair Wiki Page here. (still under development)

We are still detailing out the government, areas of interest, how executive, legislative and judicial bodies will work, etc. But that is where you will find things as we build the ideas. There will be sub-pages for the government roles and areas.

Some of the "government" areas currently listed are cultural in nature, like libraries and news. Those may not always be designated as government areas. But for now we just roll everything up into "government" to keep things simple and on topic.

8. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

9. Winfield

I've updated the PaxLair Wiki Page a lot. Also see the Town Hall we have been building for the last 3 Releases. The Town Hall should be a main building we keep working on in each Release as more player-town and housing capabilities are ready for testing.

[​IMG]

I also had more discussion and made statements about PaxLair on another thread (Are any RP towns forming yet?), probably worth reading for those interested in PaxLair.

Thanks!

10. Winfield

I added more to the PaxLair Wiki Page. We are open to comments and questions. The areas added are below:

COMBAT IN AND BY PAXLAIR

http://sotawiki.net/sota/Community:PaxLair#Combat_in_and_by_PaxLair

The town of PaxLair physical location has not been defined as a combat area yet. More details are needed on how combat can affect the player owned town, visitors, citizens, events, and establishments.

PaxLair is neutral to good and evil, knights and assassins, but is not neutral to griefers. Multiple PaxLair combat forces (and probably their allies) will put aside any differences to combat griefers. PaxLair's goal regarding combat is realism and immersion (and no drama).

PaxLair may have the following combat groups (PVP and PVE):

PaxLair Guards will engage in combat as needed wherever and against whoever it makes sense. They are entrusted to protect PaxLair's citizens, property, and interests. The Guards are not considered PK or Anti-PK. They are just a combat force. Therefore, it does not matter if they are good or evil in their actions as long as they execute and complete the combat missions assigned.​

NOTE FOR PRE-ALPHA RELEASES: The PaxLair Guards will be testing all aspects of PVP, so they are not honor-bound to their oaths to only attack in the interests of PaxLair. Please don't take offense to being killed by a PaxLair Guard in an open combat situation.

PaxLair Knights will engage in combat to protect the town's leadership, perform acts of heroism, participate in royal tournaments, and attend to various ceremonies and chivalrous activities.​

PaxLair Bandits will take on combat as rogues and evil-doers. They are mainly out for their own self-interests while having fair respect for PaxLair laws and justice. They may tend to attack the town guards with discretion and venture outside PaxLair on their own to fight others who are willing to fight.​

PAXLAIR EDUCATION AND TRAINING
    PaxLair Education and Training is an important aspect to the town, its citizens, and its visitors. There are several programs to help people learn about PaxLair and also become familiar with how to live within the realm. Some classes are fairly basic while others are more advanced. PaxLair does not and cannot provide all desired education and training. There are additional means and methods to learn things through community-wide education and training. There is also a potential Education and Training Consortium that helps integrate schools, academies, and universities throughout New Britannia
    PaxLair classes are under construction and will be tested in the pre-Alpha Releases as best we can.

PaxLair Orientation
    • Objectives: The student will learn about the PaxLair government, establishments, culture, society, and citizen responsibilities.
    • Duration: 2 hours
    • Format: classroom instruction, town tour, and student exercise
    • Maximum class size: 10 students
    • Prerequisites: none
    • Student preparation: none
    • Advisories: none
    • Resources: books from the PaxLair Library
    • Examination: none
    • Completion award: none
    • Continuing education:
      • Reading at the PaxLair Library.
      • Involvement with PaxLair citizens and visitors.
    • Instructors: Winfield
    Basic House Decorations
    • Objectives: The student will learn about how house decorations work in New Britannia.
    • Duration: 2 hours + 1 week of access time to the practice house as a Kindred. Will have a house tour (and video) at the end of the design week.
    • Format: classroom instruction, town tour, and student exercise
    • Maximum class size: 5 students
    • Prerequisites: Basic crafting skill.
    • Student preparation: Bring various resources or items for decorations (nothing extremely valuable).
    • Advisories: Do not decorate the practice house with any high-value or unique items. All students will have the ability to place and remove items with Kindred permission. The house will be cleared of all items before the next class. Students will be removed from house access after the class. Students may take items they crafted or contributed during the class, or they can donate them to the PaxLair School for future classes.
    • Resources: books from the PaxLair Library, various items to use as decorations within the class, use of the PaxLair Decorations House.
    • Completion award: Participate in the end-of-class tour where screen shots and a video is possibly made.
    • Continuing education:
    • Instructors:
    PaxLair Guard Initial Training
    • Objectives: The student will learn about the PaxLair Guards, rules of engagement, basic tactics, combat skills, and expectations.
    • Duration: 2 hours
    • Format: classroom instruction, demonstrations, field training.
    • Maximum class size: 6 students
    • Prerequisites: PaxLair Guard Recruit
    • Student preparation: none
    • Resources: books from the PaxLair Library, combat equipment from the PaxLair Armory.
    • Completion award: PaxLair Guard Trainee certificate
    • Continuing education:
    • Instructors: NANOC, Grimlar Mithrax
    PaxLair Guard Combat Training
    • Objectives: The student will learn about the PaxLair Guards, rules of engagement, basic tactics, combat skills, and expectations.
    • Duration: 2 hours - may be conducted at the discretion of the Captain of the Guard.
    • Format: at the discretion of the instructor
    • Maximum class size: PaxLair Guard roster
    • Prerequisites: PaxLair Guard Trainee or Guard
    • Student preparation: Guard uniform and equipment
    • Resources: as defined by the Instructor.
    • Completion award: continued service in the PaxLair Guard
    • Continuing education:
      • Combat Exercises - in another town
      • Knight Training - in another town
    • Instructors: NANOC

11. Gaelis

Gaelis Avatar

I like these ideas very much :) .... and I would like to make a suggestion for your Basic house decorations :)
    Maybe it would be nice to have the same Items for every class ( prepaired and sort in chests). After all, screens could show the great variety of decoration with the same Items, even after some more classes.
    The students maybe can craft some basics of furniture as a task, they have to bring the resouces of need ( which told before)

Arianna, Noctiflora, Winfield and 2 others like this.
  12. tribes10

tribes10 Avatar

Hi Winfield,

I am a player from Hong Kong, it is great if I and my brother can live in the town of PaxLair
    May i know any process needed to be done or how to apply it?

Thank you

Gaelis, Arianna, Mata and 2 others like this.
  13. Winfield

Greetings tribes10, nice to meet you! Glad you are interested. We are doing all we can to help people from around the globe get involved in PaxLair. In Release 7, we ran events 3x per day and plan to again in R8.

We don't have a process to join PaxLair yet since the public release is several months out. So in the meantime, we are getting to know people in the Pre-Alpha Releases and doing many things; next one is Release 8.

I've updated our SotAWiki.net page for PaxLair with information about Joining PaxLair and our Town Development ideas. So maybe that will help you and others? We hope to see you in Release 8!

Right now the Wiki Page says:

JOINING PAXLAIR:

PaxLair is not actively recruiting new people at this time. As the SotA public release approaches, more defined ways to join PaxLair will be stated.

Interested people should get involved with PaxLair during the pre-alpha releases and keep an eye on the main SotA Forum PaxLair thread. That thread also links to each "Building PaxLair Player Town - Release XX" thread. Doing things with PaxLair during these releases does not commit anyone to joining PaxLair.

PaxLair is always dedicated to meeting people, getting fresh ideas, and finding out who is interested and what they want to do in and around PaxLair. A person does not need to own a house in PaxLair to be a citizen or friend in order to participate. People may also have their houses in other towns and still be a part of PaxLair in some manner.

People wanting to join PaxLair should think about a few things:
    • Why do you want to join PaxLair? What interests you?
    • What type of "avatar" are you?
    • What can you contribute to the town?
    • How can PaxLair help you meet your goals?
    • Are you a role-player? If so, in what manner?
    • If you want to place a house, what will you do with it? Set up a shop? Have a private home? Kindred several people to live in your house?

TOWN DEVELOPMENT

PaxLair is a player owned town of metropolis size. Lots are not allocated yet for the public release. Town development is in progress and currently focused on:
    • participating in the pre-alpha releases
    • designing the PaxLair town government, guilds, societies, and cultural opportunities
    • working with our PaxLair veterans from Old Britannia
    • meeting new people who may be interested in becoming future citizens or friends of PaxLair
    • getting to know other towns and guilds
    • defining lot sizes to best match all of the above

Arianna, Net, Numa and 1 other person like this.
  14. Mandra

Mandra Avatar

Well hello Winfield. I don't know if you remember me at all but I was in The Band waaay back in the 90's along with the likes of Thelorn, Arundel, Sir Lock, Stamm Steelheart, etc.

So far I have only been checking in on SotA occasionally and reading the emails they send me. I never even installed it yet actually. Imagine my surprise when I saw "PAXLair" mentioned in today's email!

I hope you've been well and it's good to see you're still active in "Ultima." I may just have to install this thing and come check things out :cool:

15. Winfield

Welcome Mandra! Did you go by Mandra in The Band? I don't know if I have still have old listings from the old pre-beta days, beta, and first 2 years. I've been looking for people from The Band! Do you know any other old The Band members who may be in SotA or could like to join SotA.

I do hope you do install SotA and run it in the Releases each month. We have a blast in PaxLair and all around New Britannia. We do many fun things from Plays to Combat.

Wonderful! Please stay in touch and join us in Release 9! See the PaxLair Wiki page too - PaxLair Wiki page

16. Mandra

Mandra Avatar

Yes, Mandra was my old UO name. I started playing UO in Beta phase 1, but I don't think my first encounter with TB members was until Phase 2 in Covetous -- I'm pretty sure it was Sir Lock, Arundel, Stamm and a few others and we fought our way through to the end. That still stands as one of the all-time most fun experiences I had in UO or any game.

When PaxLair came into being I was already starting to drift away from UO so I was only around during the beginning of PL. Lots of fond memories though from beta and early release (having forgotten all the incessant frustration with the crashes, disconnects, lag, constant changes to game mechanics, etc.) About the only person I occasionally stayed in touch with after UO was Stamm Steelheart, though I'd occasionally bump into Cyberkhan playing Action Quake. Stamm and I actually communicated as recently as a few years ago but I know he was having some health problems and the last time I reached out to him a year or two ago I did not hear back unfortunately.

I've played UO Second Age on and off the last two years. In fact, I was there when LB made a guest appearance to talk about SotA and then go on a dungeon romp. I had hoped I'd bump into some old TB member on UOSA but never did. It seems like it should be possible to put a public call out somehow to get a hold of some.

I will make a point of trying to get online during the next release. My life is such that I'll never be able to put as much time into any game like I did with UO in '97 but hopefully SotA will be a game that can be enjoyed without devoting 40 hrs a week to heheh.

Time Lord likes this.
  17. Winfield

PaxLair Working Hours
    Saturdays!
    9AM to 1 PM Central US Time
    I have started the idea for regular "working hours" for PaxLair so we can have some periods of time where PaxLair citizens and friends can work together in "real-time". We invite other towns and guilds and people to certainly join us during these periods of time!

The PaxLair Working Hours are posted on the Avatars Circle Calendar:

http://avatarscircle.com/community-events/

Since PaxLair as a town is actually a "real-world worldwide" group of people in many different time zones, we will likely add MORE "PaxLair Working Hours" hosted at different days/times.

For now... since I am in Central US Time, I have set the first PaxLair Working Hours on the calendar to:
    • Every Saturday through end of December 2014 more or less.
    • 9AM to 1 PM Central US Time (14.00 to 18.00 GMT during U.S. Daylights Savings Time, 15.00-19.00 GMT during Standard Time in winter)
    • Always use http://avatarscircle.com/community-events/ to calculate your time zone.
    The "services" we can use during these Working Hours are:
    • In-Game SotA when it is operating
    • IRC irc.ultimacodex.com:6667 #PaxLair channel
    • TeamSpeak 3 PaxLair channel
    • SotA Forums
    • Google Drive and Calendars
    • Google+ Hangouts (private or public)

I will be looking for additional people to help me host those PaxLair Working Hours across other time zones of interest.

"See" you next Saturday!

Time Lord, RDouglas, Soleidad and 6 others like this.
  18. Winfield

PaxLair Google Drive
    Buildings Folder
    See PaxLair Buildings organized by Type of Building​
    Each folder has a series of images according to the Release, e.g., R06TownHallxx.jpg​
    Please view with your browser or mobile device using Google Drive
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    We have many more images and buildings to upload for PaxLair in the pre-alpha Releases. Our focus is to document the main types of buildings we hope to have in PaxLair after the Public Release starts. After all, the pre-alpha Releases is a great time to design and test.​
    Please give try out this buildings folder and comment back on how well it works for you on different devices and browsers. We seek to offer a reliable and easy repository and album system for viewing our history, house developments, events, and much more.​

Time Lord, RDouglas, Soleidad and 5 others like this.
  19. Mata

Mata Avatar

I use Mozilla and i have no problems to see your Albums.
    Great work!
    :)

20. Samlee

Samlee Avatar

Using Internet Explorer, I can access the folders, and utilize the zoom to view the .jpg images in great detail, with drag to various portions. Samlee Bowman is present in some of them!

I hope to continue to be a participant in PaxLair's development, even if I am the just loony old geezer living in Karrie Reed's garret until the Dev's create a livable workshop on wheels, with two spotted ponies to pull it!

-Sam

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.