[Depreciated] Music Submission Process

Discussion in 'The Bards of Poets' Circle' started by FireLotus, Jul 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FireLotus

FireLotus Royal Bard & Master Dabbler Dev Emeritus

Please follow this procedure when submitting your musical compositions:
    1. Consult the Crowdsource Music Request List + Naming & Placement Guide to see if any of the pieces available capture your musical imagination.
    2. Develop a sound sample (basic idea and/or chord structure) for the piece you would like to claim. Upload it to Soundcloud.
    3. Send a PM to Holt and Kailef with FireLotus cc'ed with the title "Music Submission: <category from Spreadsheet> <Title from Spreadsheet> <date>". Include a link to the sound cloud file for your song sample in the PM request along a (optional) short description of your proposed idea.
    4. Once the PM is sent, we will review your request and send an approval/denial notice (depending on if it has been claimed, not quite what we're looking for, etc).
    5. From that time, you have 7 days to complete and upload the final track. That track will be marked as "lockedout" on the music spreadsheet for those 7 days, or until completed and approved, whichever is sooner.
    6. The final track will be reviewed, and if it meets our criteria, it will be forwarded to Richard and the SotA Team for final review and approval.
    7. If the final piece does not meet the criteria needed for official review, the lockout will be lifted and the spot will be up for grabs again. You are welcome to continue refining the piece, but you must wait 5 days before requesting that track again. Once a lockout is lifted, anyone else can claim that track.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
    Sir Stile Teckel and Koldar like this.
  2. FireLotus

FireLotus Royal Bard & Master Dabbler Dev Emeritus

PS. You are welcome to start a thread about your piece and be as open with the creation process as you want. It might even help aspiring artists to see the process in action! However, we understand the creative process and that some may wish to work privately on their piece until it is complete, which is why we decided on the above process.

Feel free to post any questions and or suggestions you have on the process, as we want to be sure we are meeting the needs of the community while maintaining a sensible way to organize things for ourselves.

Holt likes this.
  3. Holt

Holt Avatar

4. smack

smack Avatar

You might want to mention that there are MAJOR spoilers in that Music Request List, as they reveal things/places that have never been mentioned publicly before.

Holt likes this.
  5. Drax

Drax Avatar

I may have done something incorrectly... I "started a conversation" with a submission a couple days ago (I did not see a way to do PMs) and I haven't heard anything yet. Is there a long queue, or do I need to do something else?

6. Holt

Holt Avatar

You must start a conversation with Firelotus and Myself. PM and Conversation are the same thing on this forum. Be sure to include both our names, separated by commas. Please try again if we haven't gotten back to you, or the message somehow was not sent correctly. I believe we went over everything in our inboxes.

Drax likes this.
  7. Drax

Drax Avatar

Thanks, Holt, that's good to know! I've got you both listed in the conversation that I sent -- maybe I'm too new/young and there's some filter in the code? I just replied to the old conversation to see if it would re-spark anything, but I'll send a new one shortly (I just don't want to spam you with stuff). Thanks again!

8. Kailef

Kailef Master Bard

I've posted this elsewhere, but I think I might be good for it to be here in the stickied "Music Submission Process" thread for the benefit of anyone interested in submitting music, or who is uncertain what the process flow looks like. Plus, I updated it a bit to include more detail.

This is the music submission process as I am aware of it today:
    1. The artist submits a song, or at least a melody idea, for one of the tracks on the "Crowdsource Music Request List + Naming & Placement Guide" (which is currently not locked out, in progress, approved, or paid) via PM to 'Holt', 'Kailef' and 'FireLotus'. (A PM on this forum is the "Conversation" function accessible in the "Inbox" menu on the upper right hand corner of the screen.) Make sure you name the PM as follows: "Music Submission: <category from Spreadsheet> <Title from Spreadsheet> <date>"
      • It is important to note that all song submissions should be uploaded to Soundcloud. When you submit the song in the PM, you go to your song's page on the Soundcloud website, copy the address, and paste it into the PM. If you do not have a Soundcloud account, you can create a free one which should be all you need for for these purposes.
    2. If the preliminary song or melody idea is approved by Poets' Circle and FireLotus, the artist is given a one-week "lockout" on this song, where nobody else can submit a song for this particular track, and the "Crowdsource Music Request List + Naming & Placement Guide" is updated show said lockout and it's expiration date. (Note that once you have a lockout on a particular track, you cannot apply for a lockout on any additional tracks until you either receive "PC Approval" on it or your seven-day lockout period expires)
    3. During those seven days, you have time to work on the song to your liking. (I recommend getting feedback from Holt and others within Poets' Circle as you progress, in order to maximize the likelihood that the final submission will meet Portalarium's guidelines)
    4. Before those seven days come to an end, the artist needs to get Poets' Circle Approval (PC Approval) to submit the song officially to Portalarium. You get that by uploading your completed track to Soundcloud and pasting its URL inside the conversation you started with Holt and Firelotus, along with a request for PC Approval.
    5. If your song receives "PC Approval", the artist needs to post their finalized submission in the "Crowdsourced Music Final Submission Thread" (using the aforementioned Soundcloud URL) and inform Holt and FireLotus via PM.

-- At this point, the path branches --

Possibility #1: Your song is reviewed by the Portalarium staff handling music, but is not accepted. (It may take some time after your submission for this to occur, depending on how busy Richard and the the Portalarium staff are at the time. I've seen it happen the same day, and I've seen it take upwards of several weeks if they are in the midst of a release or are busy at a convention.)

1. The lockout on that particular track the artist was working on is lifted, so other people can apply for a "lock" to submit their own song ideas for that track. (Note that the other artists have no rights to the songs you have worked on, and nobody can take your work and continue it without your permission.)
    2. After five days, you can apply for a "lock" on that track again. (Assuming it isn't currently locked out by another artist, in which case you need to wait for it to be available again)

Possibility #2: Your song is reviewed by the Portalarium staff handling music, and is accepted. (It may take some time after your submission for this to occur, depending on how busy Richard and the the Portalarium staff are at the time. I've seen it happen the same day, and I've seen it take upwards of several weeks if they are in the midst of a release or are busy at a convention.)

1. The Portalarium staff reviews your song and contacts you to work with you regarding any final changes they would like made to the track. Once the changes are made you re-post the modified version of the track to the "Crowdsourced Music Final Submission Thread".
    2. Once any additional changes that Richard and Portalarium team request (if any) are completed and your song is accepted, you will be paid according to the information in the "Crowdsource Music Request List + Naming & Placement Guide". (I do not know the timing or method of said payment, but Firelotus will coordinate with you on that.)
    3. Your song then becomes licensed to Portalarium based upon the license terms stated in the "Crowdsourced Music Terms of Use" thread. Front Line and Major pieces share the same licencing, and Tavern/Travel/Filler pieces share a different, less restrictive license.

I'll modify this post moving forward any time I am made aware of changes to the music submission process, keeping it as close to current/accurate as I am able.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.