Why is Sota so WoW Like?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MauganRa, Jul 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MauganRa

MauganRa Avatar

After playing a lot of release 8 and partying with and speaking to many other players, I have come to the conclusion that SOTA is a WoW rip off. After running around and casting spells that have cool downs and using skill trees that have EXACTLY the same skills and spells as WoW, it seems exactly what I was doing in WoW and many other people who played SOTA over the weekend felt the same way. I understand that maybe the introduction with the cards is a good idea and maybe their crafting system is Unique, but lets be honest, it isnt, its just utilizing what WoW already have in a slightly different way. I really think SOTA have made a huge mistake here and that to many players said to me that they would rather just go play WoW because at least they can run around on a seamless map, for some reason SOTA have made the game so instanced based that every place in the game is an instance. They should have stuck with their unique style of gaming they brung to the world when they released UO. Now I fear this product will never be popular, specailly with Shards Online coming and Skyrim Online coming out.

All I can say is, I feels like they just cant be bothered making a game that is truly unique and different to all the other games out there. They went from being the creators of MMO's to the Sheep of MMO's. I wish I had never paid my money to support this product.

Attrib, Time Lord, tamino and 4 others like this.
  2. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    *must resist urge.......* *leaves thread*

3. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

[​IMG]

This topic crops up with alarming regularity.

4. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

MauganRA, what was your first MMO?

5. Lord Artia

Lord Artia Avatar

After playing WoW for 7 years I can honestly say this game is nothing like WoW. All games take something from another. WoW wasn't original either, it copied many things from other games as well. However WoW is a mindless game that has become the easiest MMORPG to play ever. I can start a character right now and kill the final boss within 5 days? The crafting and housing of this game alone make it immensely different. As you said crafting is also very unique. But combat in Shroud is completely different than WoW. No this game will not be a UO clone. But it will be the best parts of UO with the creation of what we the players want out of a MMO. Also this game will not be for everyone. However, the players that do play it will love every aspect of the game and will play it for years to come.

6. pkarapan

pkarapan Avatar

LOL is this some kind of bizarro world joke? SOTA is a WoW ripoff????????????

7. Montaigne

Montaigne Avatar

I think it's going to be Skyrim Online!

8. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

I asked the question because I think it is something important for the community to understand before assuming that trolling is going on (albeit that has often been the tradition in MMO game forums for a decade).

There are a number of gamers here who have great context and a lot of memory to compare to. To those of us in that age bracket that affords such wisdom, WOW is nothing like UO or SOTA.

To a gamer who never saw something that came before, or some diversity because they were limited by what a parent might let them play, things can look different.

I just offer that having a little compassion to understand that context before jumping to the troll conclusion would be a good thing for community building to make this group different than what goes on in other forums.

That doesn't mean that we have to feed trolls. Just ask good questions to start, right? If someone reveals themselves as a known troll, then they have done themselves in, vs. the community making a mistake.

9. Montaigne

Montaigne Avatar

You make some great points and an excellent reminder that compassion is the best first approach. However, looking at the OP's recent post history it seems that he just wants to give this game a bad name.

Royou Vengeance and Logain like this.
  10. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

Hmm I don't remember any housing in WoW...

11. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

I remember an outhouse with a key in it one time......muhahahah well it is a house :p

12. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

I remember that house! My character really Needed it at the time :eek:

13. MauganRa

MauganRa Avatar

UO. Played for 12 years.

TemplarAssassin likes this.
  14. MauganRa

MauganRa Avatar

I
    It is nothing like UO, not even in the slightest. Oh wait the only thing its like UO is you can have a house, and that's about it. The crafting, all the recipes are listed on SOTA Wiki so that really isn't anything new to be honest, you get materials and you make stuff. Your really going to spend all this time playing a game because of its Crafting system? Seriously? Its nothing special.

But if you could please tell me exactly how its like UO that would be great. Because right now there are a lot of concerned people who have paid a lot of money based on that premise that it would be like UO. But honestly its turning out to be more of a Level based Grind.

TemplarAssassin likes this.
  15. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

*hugs* *sniffles*

Royou Vengeance and Time Lord like this.
  16. MauganRa

MauganRa Avatar

Are you really surprised that it keeps popping up?

Im not.

Attrib and TemplarAssassin like this.
  17. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Can you tell me what you do like about this game so far, there has to be something keeping you here, right?

18. Akrondar

Akrondar Avatar

Sorry, but i think he is talking about people that givea bad arguments to defend a flamming statement.

19. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

This game is kind of a combination of the offline Ultimas and UO...not just UO...It has the persistent housing like UO. We will see more UOesk features I'm sure.

I agree with you on the crafting system thus far...it's not fun for me...but it is not done. They will add events and additional features to make it more interesting.

Still in Pre-Alpha :)

20. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

Ey! At least we don't have more topics about the cloth map overworld.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.