Why is Sota so WoW Like?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MauganRa, Jul 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

UO2 was never promised nor even implied and this has been said repeatedly for more than a year now.

2. Blitz101

Blitz101 Avatar

Did you ever play WoW? Did you see their crafting system? Did you see any housing in WoW? Did you see yellow exclamation marks on the tops of peoples heads? This is nothing like WoW.

3. Kaisa

Kaisa Avatar

As someone who played WoW for several years I cannot see how someone could see this game as being some kind of WoW Ripoff. It just makes zero sense.

4. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

As has been said before, there is still a LOT left to add. And, to date, nothing that has been added is remotely like WoW:

Combat: Static skill bar (WoW) vs barely fleshed out Deck building system (SotA)
    Similarity? Not seeing it...

Housing: It exists (SotA) vs Nada (WoW)
    Strike two....

Crafting: Craft skills that have recipes that players will have to learn on their own (SotA)(Yes, I know that will be nullified within about a month or two after release by fan-based wiki sites...) vs waiting to reach skill level x so I can go buy my next set of craft recipes (WoW)
    Hmmm... I hear a song playing... I think the words were something like "One of these things, ain't like the other..."

Please see the quote below from the kickstarter, that says they would be extending MP capabilities akin to UO, but the virtual world that is being used as the base from which to spring is U7...

So sorry, it has been said multiple times before in just the last couple of months: If you are coming here looking for UONext... Enjoy your stay while you look ;)

There is that whole "Deep, rich multi-player capabilities" part... I think they have already pounded that nail home, pulled it back out and set it in place to pound it home again, and they aren't even done yet!

5. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

Why is Sota so WoW Like?

I wouldn't know. Only played wow for a few minutes. Got bored immediately. Sorry. T_T

6. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

[​IMG][​IMG]

hmmm well not seeing it, but here's a couple of ways SOTA is not like WOW. I played wow for 4 years, all kinds of character types, had lots of goods times, and also grindy times too. You'd just get a set of armor after tons of grind and it would be obsolete. We won't have the armor grind. Some story and questlines in WOW but pretty average quests, a couple of fun ones, not much depth or ability to change the way the story goes or even the ending. No housing, very little interactive, they have flying, we won't that I know of. Truly not the same game, but what is your point? and even if this were a glorified and updated version of wow, which it isn't, what is the point, what is your gripe anyway.? People fall back on it's just like wow I think if they want to cause static.

7. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

actually for me... WoW is very RO-like... LOL

8. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

is that the highest setting?

9. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

[​IMG]
    Not sure if it is the highest setting. I was definitely noticing sheen to the leathers and shine to the metalics. I thought it was really cool. A noticeable difference to me.
    I don't have the top of the line video card either. Wish I did.:(

10. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

After reading this much of the OP, I decided you had no idea what you were talking about. However, having never played WoW in my life because that's not the kind of game I would ever play, I decided that you must have a valid point. Then I remembered that I'm one of the very few people in the world that has never once played W0W because I knew exactly what it was without ever playing it.

In my judgement, and I freely admit that my judgement is ignorant of any experience actually playing WoW; SOTA is ridiculously far from what I would expect to find in WoW. Which is probably why I feel so justified in putting my money and my time into it. So I suppose anyone reading this really has three choices, they can rely on your judgement, they can rely on my judgement, or perhaps they could rely on their own judgement keeping in mind what WoW is and what WoW is not.

11. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

It makes sense if you put it into the proper context. For example, what if someone wants full loot and random killing of n00bs but doesn't see that happening in SOTA? Then what if the same person decides to create a forum post comparing the game he's getting to a game that he and many others would never want (WoW)? In this sense I could see where the comparison would be valid. But because that's clearly not happening here, I have to agree with you, Kaisa. It really doesn't make sense. :)

Vendetta Beretta likes this.
  12. Dryxaline

Dryxaline Avatar

Indeed i played WoW for years among other mmo's, and this game is nothing like WoW. Nothing. As you said a pointless thread, except to maybe get a rise out of people. hehe.

13. Athelstan

Athelstan Avatar

UO came before wow... if anything WOW is a UO ripoff.

... also... consider letting them actually finish the game before starting the fake arguments please :D

14. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Odd, I don't recall cooldowns while using the glyph system in R8.

Mind you, I didn't use the "Like every other MMO style combat bar" approach, so that might be the reason. Silly me. :)

15. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Well, I'm hoping it is more akin to u7 then wow or UO. You will never appease the very old school UO crowd.

AndiZ275, Ned888 and docdoom77 like this.
  16. Dwalin Bombardin

Dwalin Bombardin Avatar

I am a huge fan of Richard and the Ultima series. The story-telling brilliance of the SOTA team will carry it I pray. I've played Asheron's Call for many years and some WOW lately, and there are some similarities--MMOs will always have similarities.

That said, I have to say that OP has valid points concerning the instanced nature of the game. Richard has stated himself that he wants that travel-journey experience to be significant, and I just attribute the choppy feeling to SOTA being pre-alpha.

I hope this community will be objective and take pointed criticism constructively. In the end it'll just make the product better.

17. Jynx

Jynx Avatar

-1 to OP

I played UO for many years and I played WoW for many years. They do have some similarities: you need a computer, a connection to the interwebs.

The first glaring difference is that with WoW you don't really need to read to play. With SotA, you not only have to read, but you also need to actually think and consider.
    WoW was pretty linear in questing and gameplay. SotA promises a spidery web of options and consequences.

There simply is no comparison really. Except that both are games and each attracts it's own kind of player.

Derium, DizzySol, Asclepius and 6 others like this.
  18. Gretchelle

Gretchelle Avatar

Don't give in to Trolls.

Resurrected and Montaigne like this.
  19. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

Given WoW's artificial boundaries to PvP... (i.e. no team killing, and so a limitation on who you can attack) and no loot off of people you kill, I think you hit the point exactly ;)

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  20. Lord Spaz

Lord Spaz Avatar

I dont thinmk thisd will be like wow but also it wontr be UO 2. The simple reason for that are rthe developpers, Ive never played wow myself butz Ive read about, heard stories about it and watched friends play it but I played any other blizzard game and one thing that really represents blizzard is their aim for a very large comunity including the very younbg folks, thats why their game are so peaceful and cartoon like, no heads chopped off etc. Richard Garriot on the opther hand is a fan of gore it seems (or realism?) thats the simple reason this game will be nothing like wow

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.