Last time I checked Portalarium was based in Austin, TX ...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AvatarGG, Jul 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Athelstan

Athelstan Avatar

So since they are based in Austin all the characters should look like this?

[​IMG]

2. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

I can work with that. He has got a melee weapon, ranged weapon, combat pet, a fabulous satchel bag, and what could be some kicking light armor.

And as a bonus: A darn nice hat, which is clearly place-able on the open ground.

Good stuff that. :)

3. AvatarGG

They don't have to. But I think the average SotA (a western old-school RPG) player will not like this kind of weapons.

[​IMG]

4. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

I love the buster sword!
    +1 for GIANT swords!

Gabriel Nightshadow likes this.
  5. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

Well, I've played a couple hundred Western and Japanese-style RPGs over the course of my lifetime, and I would have no objection to carrying a massive sword like that around :D The Final Fantasy series rocks :cool: It's not wise to make assumptions about what the average SotA player might like...o_O

High Baron O`Sullivan likes this.
  6. MulGirtab [BEAR]

MulGirtab [BEAR] Avatar

I played UO since 1998 plus a bunch of other types. You probably should not speak for everyone in the "average SotA" community.
    We need to open our minds and let the imaginations out.

7. Vendetta Beretta

Vendetta Beretta Avatar

^^^ THIS. Yes I did expect to see this type of weapon in this game.

8. AvatarGG

Fair enough. Let's say that I do not like that kind of weapons in an Ultima spiritual successor. But I think it is fair to say that the average SotA player is not like the average Final Fintasy-like player.

9. AvatarGG

Please, do not start a "I started playing Ultima before than you" war. I did not speak for everyone in the SotA community. I just said that I think the average SotA player will not like this kind of jRPG weapons, just like I think the average jRPG player will not like the classical Ultima style. I think it is not an extraordinary assumption.

Anyway, I also think that we need to open our minds for SotA (it's not a remake, it's just an spiritual successor), but a giant sword would me too much for me.

10. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

Although the sword in the OP is a big tall I would say it's no where near as big as the Final Fantasy 7 Cloud sword you posted. I definitely say there are many other bigger issues to worry about other then swords being too tall.

11. AvatarGG

I completely agree. But that does not mean that we can't chit-chat about minor issues ;)

12. Sweetmcpwnsauce

Sweetmcpwnsauce Avatar

I, personally, hope that there are multiple types of weapons ranging from realistic to fantasy styles. I love realistic looks, but also that bulky fantasy look that would never be possible to pull off. <];D

13. Lord Artia

Lord Artia Avatar

I actually love most final fantasy games and I mainly stick to western Rpgs. Large weapons are great to take down fantasy large dragons with.

Ziluzzin and Gabriel Nightshadow like this.
  14. Jambot

Jambot Avatar

I personnally have to say I don't really like that style either. I love some J-RPGs but I could never get into the aesthetics. To be honest, I don't care about any shape or length of weapon as long as it doesn't look like it weighs more than, say, 10 pounds or so (pretty much the difference between Cloud's and Sephiroth's sword).

Edit : and even if they do look heavy as hell, I don't mind them being in the game, I just won't use them.

15. Floors

Floors Avatar

Okay I was only facetious earlier.

Personally, that type of art style is not my thing.

I would prefer my weapons to be closer to traditional weapons. for a great sword, a Scottish Claymore or similar weapon, for a long sword, the type XIV (or any of the 'types' actually) vis: http://www.worksofrichardmarsden.com/historyofthelongsword.htm

However, I am not opposed to broad swords, viking swords, roman type swords or even glass (crystal) swords or magic swords... in a fantasy game. I just would like to see a variety of types.

The above sword is a little towards the eastern style, but it's not as bad as that over stylized look just posted from final fantasy... the sword shaped like a giant blunt metal lollipop or something (smh)

In general, I would just like there to be variety of models for each "type" of sword we have, so everyone can be happy.

I don't want there to be "just" one "long sword" for example.

Ziluzzin likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.