Why is Sota so WoW Like?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MauganRa, Jul 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TemplarAssassin

TemplarAssassin Avatar

Really amazing, isn't it? A true paradox.

It seems to me that the world of MMOs really lacks true artists who could make really beautiful things.

MauganRa likes this.
  2. Duke Lorimus

Duke Lorimus Avatar

That was a whole lot of opinion when it sounds like your only upset because the rogue isn't in game yet. *Shrugs*

3. fumblefingers

fumblefingers Avatar

Sorry my friend you missed what he said , thou it did kinda run together. he was saying SotA had housing making it better.

Point is all games take a little from other games ,hopefully it makes the next a little better .Richard G. has some awesome ideas that could make this game far ahead of the pack. But honestly the programmers, in my opinion,, have dropped the ball in the basic game play. If i cant run, jump,cast or fight as well as we did over 20 years ago in Ultima something is very wrong .rather its not finished in alpha or ever what that's just basic programming for any game.

We all can say oh i loved this or this was horrid in lots of other games we have played,But if your going to lead with something all new, your team best be able to program basics first..

MauganRa likes this.
  4. Akrondar

Akrondar Avatar

I would love to see some of your work as a programmer on pre - alpha games.

5. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

Over twenty years ago puts you squarely in the timeframe of Ultima VII... and that had a combat system that you couldn't do the former half of what you just said, and from all reports (foggy memory included), it didn't do the latter half very well, either.

Compared to now, where it does all four, and with some upgrading, fleshing out, and alpha/beta polish, will do them very well.

Silent Strider and Kaisa like this.
  6. fumblefingers

fumblefingers Avatar

Maybe you don't like my opinion , and you have that right .

But this i know, most programmers of this age aren't old school programmers, that wright the entire thing. they are masters of pulling bits from here and there of basic programs .
    Rather it be day one [alpha] or ready for release , its still basic for any game . you can get most of the tools to do this in high school programming classes . Fine tune to suit your needs .

As i understand it by what Richard, says ,, his team has many games under there belts,and are not new to the industry . So it should go unsaid they should have a better then average understanding
    of how to make a program with basic skills , without a stretch goal to get it in the game.

Okay just maybe i'm a bit impatient , I but i did down load Unity, and took a look at what they could have done with Avatars just for one , and came away with ,, your kidding and this is what we got.
    I'll keep hoping things get better.

MauganRa and tamino like this.
  7. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Things take time/time costs money.

That's why things are part of stretch goals....geez this is getting old.

8. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

A sword swing is a sword swing, a fireball is a fireball.... It's going to come down to features and story.

Combat is one feature, but there's also housing and crafting, which are departures from the much (and unjustly) maligned WoW. Stealing, once it comes around will most likely be different as well.

Oh and did I mention the storyline? Yes I did....

Gaelis likes this.
  9. Jimmy Haffa

Jimmy Haffa Avatar

World of Warcraft to me was a simplified and streamlined version of Everquest with a radical art direction. I didn't find it all that original but it didn't really have to be and I enjoyed it for a quite a few years. Every MMO takes things that work (and sometimes things that don't work) from others and fits them into their own because they are proven. Not to say it's right or wrong, but it's a safety net vs creating something entirely new and having everybody hate it and throwing all your money away.

From the beginning I knew this wasn't going to be UO 2. I would have loved for that...but it's just not. I'm not quite sure how it will turn out for me in the end as it stands but I can't be sure of anything yet because it's pre alpha and they have a lot more work to do. This is the double edged sword of letting us play it this early in production. You risk a lot of people hating it in an incomplete state and writing it off forever but I actually enjoy getting to play it in this state with the understanding that there is a lot of work to be done. You can watch it grow up from the buggy mess. If I don't like it in the end? Well....I payed for a game I didn't like. Meh.....I've done that countless times in the early gaming years so may as well get a reminder that it can still happen.

Jynx likes this.
  10. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

Don't know if you've been playing the same game as me. I find the movement and combat better than any game I've played to date and the combat is just starting. I was able to kite and fight multiple mobs on my squishy mage. It's good to go into the pre-alpha testing with an open mind.

Graphics are top notch to me too. I can't wait to see even more epic happenings in our game.

11. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

Yup, combat system definitely takes some getting used to and a lot of work needs to be done with regards to gameplay balance (especially in PvP), but I agree that they're off to a good start! Combat system really rocks in PvE :D

Gaelis, Duke NRaas and Lord Baldrith like this.
  12. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

Skyrim Online has been dead for over 6 months.

Shards Online is a year away at best.

This is not an MMO, it is selective multiplayer.

Did I miss a memo?

Cool story bro.

13. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

They never answer that question.

14. Favonius Cornelius

Favonius Cornelius Avatar

The kool aid drinkers never listen to the answer.

15. draykor darkale

draykor darkale Avatar

You move your avatar and cast spells/hit things, therefore WoW.

Dryxaline and docdoom77 like this.
  16. Derium

Derium Avatar

Just like to remind you all. that WoW was indeed a UO rip off of sorts. But then again, UO was a WoW rip off before WoW even launched.

We all owe the murder of UO in 2003 to the most hated man in MMO history. Tom Chilton (seriously, google him, no one likes him). He was lead designer on AoS (the most hated UO update), and he heard about WoW coming out. So he decided to "compete" with WoW and change UO from a sandbox and implement many rails. Then he jumped ship. He joined WoW, and ended up becoming the lead designer for BC (the most hated update in WoW history).

No matter what, UO and WoW copied each other to different extents (albeit, all due to one VERY stupid moron). And that's pretty funny. Considering UO is/was the biggest Sandbox ever. And WoW was the biggest themepark ever. But as time goes on, UO adds more rails, and WoW adds more sand. It's all really stupid.

Dane and Logain like this.
  17. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Hmmm, I fail to see how that was constructive at all.

18. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

I sit here, ears and mind open to new ideas... Try me.

19. Angor

Angor Avatar

*shakes head*

20. MauganRa

MauganRa Avatar

Thanks, what kind of what I was trying to say.

I never said SOTA sucked ass, I just simply said that some of its features are a lot like WoW's features. Plus, its not trolling, its providing valuable feedback to the developers, who hopefully will see that people may have followed and back RG because they believed he would carry on the success of UO. But unfortunately that isnt going to happen.

Firstly - UO was a Seamless map, this map is tedious, every-time you run in to another area, you are in an instance, like a WoW Dungeon, so the only way to get out of the instanced area is by running out the way you came in. I prefer to just run around a massive map on my horse, looking at Vendor houses and encountering situations that required others to either help you or some inattentiveness. Feels like flying vendors from WoW but even WoW's map was kind of Seamless, this isn't at all.

Secondly - Even though there is a card based combat system, I still prefer the old style Spell book and skill of Magery from UO. It creates a much more flexible unique style of game play, this is just more skill trees where you cast spells that have cast bars. Seems a little boring to me. Not only that but doesn't it seems like the Team PVP is just like an Arena from WoW? I mean it has a strikingly similar feel to it.

Thirdly - There is so much focus on Housing, I feel like that's all they wanted to put in the game. At first they told us, you better buy your house now because they will not offer it past a certain point, now it seems it just going to be a permanent addon to the store on the website. Feeling rather ripped off that I rushed into purchase something I felt I would have an ingame advantage over others.

Fourth - Options are limited about what you want to do, in Wow you go around kill stuff, get better armor and weapons and kill more stuff. Besides housing, how is this any different than the mindless killing of WoW? Surely someone is going to make an MMO that has put some actual though into better killing themes!? Maybe some other activities that will differentiate this product away from other MMO's that just involve killing.

Making an MMO is of course no easy feat, but its the same as any other product, unless its unique it may just feel similar which wont really entice customers to stick around. Besides some ambiguous crafting system and housing and maybe a different style over graphics, this products has many features that WoW has, from a casting bar to the skill tree its similar, just because it has some cards really doesnt make it that special.

Sir_Hemlock likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.