Now Seeking members of the Council of Scribes

Discussion in 'The Library' started by FireLotus, Aug 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kambrius

Kambrius Avatar

So will this wiki be something comparable to Chris Avellone's Fallout Bible? In other words, will there be a timeline to reference specific events, questions about lore that can be asked and answered for clarification purposes, a full compendium of stock towns/cities, flora, fauna, monsters, spells, reagent. important NPCs, etc.?

Time Lord likes this.
  2. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

I dont see why that comment was removed.

It was a legitimate question. Will this work be seen by Richard Garriott, and will it be moderated for scary or questionable material (I assume murder? ****? etc...)

And how will the people who vet this content be watched themselves to make sure they are not pre-emptively editing people's work, i.e. what are their bona fides?

I think it was a good and serious question.

Bramagola and Time Lord like this.
  3. FireLotus

FireLotus Royal Bard & Master Dabbler Dev Emeritus

The post was removed by the original poster, Joviex... which is within their right to do. :)
    To answer your questions:

1. Yes, Richard will see these, and be part of the final approval process.
    2. Yes, content that violates our Terms of Service will be prohibited.
    3. Scribes will be overseen by me, a Developer and Content Writer on the Dev Team.
    4. Scribes will be unable to edit an original post, just like other users can not edit what you post in other areas of the thread. (They do NOT have any moderation permissions.) Any edits and feedback will be made in a followup post to the original post.

4. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Ok here's my question.. the immediate goal is to fill in the world lore.. but are there plans to continue this group's activities post launch? I can see some value in providing assistance to new authors, helping to establish player run libraries.. that sort of thing.

Gabriel Nightshadow and Joviex like this.
  5. FireLotus

FireLotus Royal Bard & Master Dabbler Dev Emeritus

That would be their decision, but I would certainly hope so, as there will be live events and lots of new content in future Episodes that will need to be kept up with. :)

6. Knight Grant MacGregor

Knight Grant MacGregor Avatar

Would like to throw my hat in the ring as well. :) I'm not a huge writer, but have some ideas and would like to contribute.

7. King Dane

King Dane Avatar

8. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

*Stories including other player characters or Dev characters without their consent will most likely not be approved/accepted.
    "For the Public Record"

The ~Time Lord~ name can appear in any story anyone cares to use it in and has my full permission to do so in any way, shape or form.

In my opinion, the Time Lord belongs to everyone as he has been a part of Ultima Lore forever...

I'm just a guy who role plays him :( But I am very happy to here publicly give my permission to everyone and should not be cause for anyone's work to be disqualified or disapproved of.

Use that name any way you see fit my friends ;) because it belongs to everyone :D Not just me... :p
    "Everyone Has My Full Permission"
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

9. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Unfortunately, the Time Lord is also a well known Ultima character. There could be legal issues involved that you have no control over. Unless Portalarium tells us it's ok then it probably won't be accepted.

Fireangel and Darlok Brimstone like this.
  10. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

I also submit the name Baldrith to be used in any written stories.

11. Asclepius

Asclepius Avatar

And in the unlikely event that anyone wants to use Asclepius in any story, poem or artistic creation of any type I give full and free permission in perpetuity for unfettered use of the name and/or reference.

(BTW, I think Time Lord is also generic - the Dr Who reference is obvious. I don't think it is anything exclusive to or owned by Portalarium or Ultima)

12. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

[​IMG]
    I would have to say that the Time Lord has been around much longer than any Ultima there ever was...
    Or I would be sued for naming my Avatar this because it's trade marked somewhere?...
    Hawkwind? That's older than any Ultima as well.

But maybe check on that for us Lady Firelotus just to be sure and certain for everyone please :)
    Then moderate this permission post publicly for offering my Avatar's name so others won't have disappointment when submitting there works ;) Thank you Lady Fire Lotus if you can clarify that for us :D

13. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Portalarium isn't the problem. EA is. Also I'm well aware the name Time Lord was ripped off of Dr. Who. That doesn't change the fact that it's also the name of a prominent Ultima character and Ultima is owned by EA.

And for the record.. I've seen every currently available episode of Dr. Who since 100,000 BC. :)

Gabriel Nightshadow likes this.
  14. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

OK... but it needs to be clarified officially by FireLotus no matter if "you believe it or not" :D

"I'd just hate for people to be under the impression that they can use it or not use it by only our two small meaningless permissions" :p

If my chr name is out, then people should not waste there time creating things that include "him"... EA hasn't contacted me yet :)
    But if my chr's name can't be used, then it needs to be officially known!

(Dear Lady FireLotus please check on that for us and then "you have my permission to delete my offer and all this other unintended dribble ;))

15. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Are you talking to me? :)

Time Lord likes this.
  16. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

There's no body else talking about it silly :p
    As the holder of this name, I owe it to our public to have this clarified because he, ~Time Lord~ belongs to everyone and thus I need to have that answer well know to the public for their creativity sake.
    My friend is funny ;)

PS) I want it well known to Portalarium that it's no sweat off my back and won't upset me at all if that chr name is somehow a hassle to be used. I just don't want anyone to waste their creative time up when that name cannot be used in an official in game book within this competition.
    "I believe that we both deserve to provide that answer to the public"
    Thanks Portalarium ;) ~TL~

17. smack

smack Avatar

Jaana was also a prominent character in Ultima, yet it's clearly being used here in SotA. Seen the map lately?

Perhaps the legalese here is that she's a character in Ultima vs. the name of a river or town in SotA.

Likewise, we also have Mariah the character in Ultima, yet the Mariah Mountains in SotA....

So Time Lord could perhaps be something else in SotA and it wouldn't infringe upon EA as being a derivative work.

18. Floors

Floors Avatar

Uh it's pretty funny the talk over time lord because I'm pretty sure Richard poached it from Dr. Who in the first place.

So a little circular logic going on :)

Time Lord likes this.
  19. Sir Korvash

Sir Korvash Avatar

A name itself, cannot be held to copyright infringement, such as Jaana (a common Finnish name) or Mariah. However, if they are used to name a character that has similar traits to another character with the same name, then that would run the risk of copyright infringement.

Considering the Dr Who 'Time Lord' originated approx 20 years prior to the Ultima version, I would find it difficult to believe there would be a case for Copyright infringement, considering the Ultima variant is if anything infringing on the Dr who 'Time Lord'

Time Lord likes this.
  20. Winfield

Winfield Legend of the Hearth

Hail there everyone! I'm Winfield and am helping get this group launched. I am honored to be a part of it.

I'm the current Master of the Council to help recruit people to be Lore Keepers and Scribes: those who help document and track the Lore; and those who write, edit, and/or review the submissions of books and new Lore.

We already received more than 10 Conversation (PM) responses to FireLotus' Call for Members. This is great! We can take more too! We ask people to give a little background on your writing, editing, or lore tracking/interest abilities and what you would like to do on the Council.

We are in the Forming stage and have not Stormed yet as a Council. BUT... we are already looking for submissions to help us create and test out our processes -- see FireLotus' Tales from the Vale thread. We are looking specifically for "tales about your adventures in the Vale" for this early test run on our process.

Happy writing and reading!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.