Companions

Discussion in 'Avatars & NPCs' started by High Baron Asguard, Jul 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. High Baron Asguard

High Baron Asguard Avatar

Why has nothing been said about companions virtually since the end of kickstarter. We are supposed to make judgments about a combat system with no idea of how companions are going to be implemented. Are we going to have to look at a mage or a fighter or a ranger balanced for solo play if you are looking at single player only or will we be getting the companions to fill out a party?

2. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

I want to know about this too. But regardless of the answer, characters should be balanced for solo play, not left balanced only for party play and forcing single players to take companions. I want options.

3. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Yeah, companions are a very important feature for me, too. I have so fond memories of wandering around in Britannia with Iolo, Shamino, Dupre and all the others beside me, giving hints and their opinions and having their own backstory. Complex and deep companions would be such a huge benefit for the game and such a huge loss and disappointment if there were no companions in SotA. At least it would be a nod to those people who want to play SotA as a single player-Ultima-like RPG which I thought would be possible according to the Kickstarter.

4. Robby

Robby Avatar

I one proposed an idea where you create a character and have like 4 other NPC's that could follow you and that you could command so that you could walk around the world in party formation and quest that way. You could choose the skills for each of these NPC team mates. So if your a pure prospecter you could have a couple of them that learn all out lumberjacking and mining and then two of the NPC's could be all out combat. One would be the "main" who would carry your title and all, like if your edelmann the main of your party would carry the title and all the others on your team would carry standard names without titles. You could take command solo style of any one. This would make solving dungeons more in-depth because you could have puzzles where one half of the party has to be in one room and the other half has to be in the other room to push switches at the same time or something. Of course all this could be done with a friends-only team with real live players, or "PC's" I guess is what you call em.
    This idea didn't make it far, got mostly negative reaction. It was awhile ago though. It would make PvP somewhat complicated perhaps.... or perhaps not?

Destroying Angel likes this.
  5. High Baron Asguard

I hope they go further than that, what made ultima so great was the depth of its companions. Parties like you suggest are not inherently bad but its always more fun when the companions have there own needs and desires and interact with you and eachother

Sir Cabirus likes this.
  6. Jebediah

Jebediah Avatar

I don't have a problem with companions per-say. However, I do hope that companions are restricted to single-player. Companions are a part of the Ultima games and with this being a "spiritual successor" it is only right they are included. But i've seen other games get ruined (in my opinion) due to there being companions (typically called mercenaries) in multiplayer gameplay.

7. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

Joviex likes this.
  8. Floors

Floors Avatar

Iolo interrupts..."Excuse me Avatar... but how couldst thou say such a thing!"

docdoom77 likes this.
  9. Lord Spaz

Lord Spaz Avatar

who needs companions if u got taming?

10. Owain

Owain Avatar

God invented time so that everything doesn't happen all at once. They'll work on it when they get the time.

High Baron O`Sullivan likes this.
  11. Moorlander

Moorlander Avatar

Indeed. Also why waste the time on disposable companions anyway?

12. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Probably because they mentioned them when the game was being kickstarted and many of us are actually quite interested in it. Why waste the time on other parts that were never part of the original kickstarter...which they have already.

Tedds, Caliya, Sir Cabirus and 4 others like this.
  13. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Animals are animals and companions are companions. If I can travel with Iolo, Shamino and Dupre, talking to them, hearing their backstory and getting hints from them why should I instead travel around with a tamed animal?

Companions are an important element in an RPG. They add to the atmosphere, they enrich the story. I would even say that for single player fans companions are as important for the game as PvP is for MMORPG-fans. So yes, they should definitely spend as much time as possible on creating complex companions.

Sir Cabirus, wagram, Joviex and 2 others like this.
  14. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Well, you can definately tell who played the original ultima's and those that just played UO by the responses this thread is getting.

15. High Baron Asguard

absolutely

though was sherry a companion or a pet? :p

docdoom77 likes this.
  16. Lord Spaz

Lord Spaz Avatar

sounds like you look down on UO players for some reason :p no I started out with Ultima7 and you madea perfectly valid point but I still think the companions dont have their place in an MMO

17. Lord Spaz

Lord Spaz Avatar

because this is not Ultima

fantalio likes this.
  18. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

but this is not a traditional MMO

Joviex and docdoom77 like this.
  19. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

so elite...

Lord Spaz likes this.
  20. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Ultima was not the only RPG that had companions or a party. Many single player-RPGs have one. And if SotA wants to be a single player RPG, too then a party should definitely be considered, especially if SotA wants to be the spiritual successor to Ultima.

Caliya and Sir Cabirus like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.