Reality vs Grandeur

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Exodus2, Aug 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Exodus2

Exodus2 Avatar

I love what this game is. I love whatever it will be. I love the people making it.

What I fear is what I saw Peter Molyneaux do with Fable in 2004. The hype around that game was that every choice had a direct effect forever. You can get a scar as a youth and keep it into adulthood where you have a family and raise your kids then play as them... there was just a lot of seemingly groundbreaking stuff that never made it in. People were outraged by it and Mr. Molyneaux had to give a public apology for the broken promises.

Throughout these forums there are some incredibly creative ideas. Far more creative than anything that's ever come out of my mind.. and it's not atypical for these ideas to be considered and accepted. Recently an idea about underground, player owned cities was accepted. There's more than a handful of ideas like this.

I played R8, and the game is really fun. I can't say that I have ANY knowledge of the engine or the capabilities that the devs have to implement complex ideas like what I find on these forums. I am simply worried that the game is blowing up into an unrealistic mass of ideas and some people will get their hearts broken when things inevitably end up on the cutting room floor.

Has anyone else felt this way? Am I being unrealistic considering the game will have multiple releases? Maybe the ideas that are being accepted are generation 3, 4, 5 implementations? I'm interested in how the community feels.

Gaelis and Soleidad like this.
  2. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

Your concern is understandable. However, the dev team is mostly made up of seasoned veterans. I think they're well aware of what they can and can't deliver. I believe Port only takes on ideas they know they can realistically put in the game.

Gaelis, Soleidad, Siriustar and 2 others like this.
  3. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

They have Dwarven underground player housing in LotRo, yes there's is only instanced housing but so is SotA's. I'd imagine the only difference is when you enter that towns hex instance instead of sky you appear to be in a large cave with a rock roof when you look up.

4. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

One of the side effects of doing a kickstarter campaign is you have to meet the goals you set there, which is what I EXPECT of the final product.

The rest of the ideas in the forums are nice(Sometimes) to have items not required.

Logain and Joviex like this.
  5. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

I am more worried about the items expressed as a "sale" point from the KS being done. Forget the forum noise.

Lord Beaumaris likes this.
  6. Angor

Angor Avatar

There will always be some Ideas that won't make it this early in the game development. There will always be those who feel they have been let down or even duped as time goes on. This community will change and grow as time goes on. So as long as you voice your opinion, don't get hurt if something you want isn't implemented your way, and as long as you can adjust to the many changes that are coming, and keep an open mind. You will enjoy the game. And isn't that what we are hear for?

Lord-Galiwyn likes this.
  7. tekkamansoul

tekkamansoul Avatar

What I worry is that sometimes people forget that its the details that take forever to implement and must be considered carefully; ideas are plentiful and there's always a ton of great ones to choose from.

Port has to settle on the ideas now so they have time to implement the details in a realistic frame. I think the worst thing that can happen is backers continue to chime in awesome ideas and the game a) gets delayed past prime public interest or b) doesn't become what the backers want and the game loses momentum post-R1.

8. Biblik

Biblik Avatar

Actually, as far as I know, you don't have to meet ANY of the goals there people just complain when you don't and say things like 'YOU PROMISED DURING KICKSTARTER BEFORE DEV WORK WAS STARTED ON YOUR UNBORN CHILD THAT YOU WOULD HAVE (feature) IN THE GAME!"

There are plenty of kick starters that get funded and never give ANYTHING back.

9. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I never played the game. It looked very interesting and ambitious. But I didn't have a PC or console that could run it at the time.

Later, I watched some development videos of Fable II, I remember a dog playing fetch with a ball. I also remember the lead developer saying something about making the first game in history where they would create "Love". That still makes me laugh. That's also when I stopped taking that game seriously.

Of course people feel like that. I feel more or less like that depending on what day of the week it is.

But the developers clearly have a plan and have shown they are executing that plan well. I don't think this game is going to be feature rich until Episode I releases and even then it's probably going to be Episode II before it starts to really feel like we've arrived at a destination that seems satisfying to most people. I'm more than ok with that however because I understand that there's a process to follow, limited resources that can be used, and people's expectations are often misguided even when the development team communicates or manages flawlessly (which any development team rarely does).

Kaisa likes this.
  10. Exodus2

Exodus2 Avatar

Great thoughts so far! We are pre-alpha and I've never been engaged with a project this early. Perhaps we are still in a stage where ideas are being stockpiled. I too share the additional fear above that an actual release may be delayed based on wanting to put in as many ideas as possible into episode one. I will leave that stress to the developers and LB himself to bear. Fact remains the same that what I've played so far has been fun.

Gaelis and Soleidad like this.
  11. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Actually no. The person who runs a kickstarter is libel....kickstarter is not...there actually have been people sued.

I'm not saying I'm thinking of that...just disputing your point.

Joviex likes this.
  12. Orion Astrium

Orion Astrium Avatar

I can't see where ideas are ever bad. There are 5 planned episodes so there is plenty of time to add a lot to the game.
    If a great suggestion nudges the dev team in a slightly different path early on all the better.

I think everyone agrees the most important thing is the core game features are implemented and the game meets all it's initial goals at launch, such as a meaningful story. Nobody wants to see any of those bad reviews at the beginning from trying to do too much too soon, and I have confidence Portalarium knows enough about gaming to make sure that doesn't happen.

Personally, I love everything about boats, but we are starting on one main land mass, so we really don't NEED mobile boats in episode 1, but ohhhhh when they are here.....

13. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Hehe I love the irony in this thread... did anyone tell you who exodus is in Ultima yet slayer exodus ? :D

14. Exodus2

Exodus2 Avatar

I played the classic Ultimas. I guess the irony is that he got sealed underground and was made "silent"? haha

15. Lordy

Lordy Avatar

Rune, sadly KS is FULL of failed projects...with creators going away with money and nothing happening....

Imo SOTA is, so far, very close to what we were promised during KS....

tekkamansoul likes this.
  16. Sole

Sole Avatar

Likewise. I mean this game and the whole community have already given me so much and it's PreAlpha!

My guess is that we need to wait actual release date few months longer than what was on original plans. And about wild and creative ideas community generates? I'd save part of them for future episodes, just to make them more interesting.

Am I being too optimistic? Don't think so. I mean those guys know what they are doing, they know the industry.

Siili, Slayer Exodus and Gaelis like this.
  17. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

hehe yea...

I also think the team knows what to do to give us back value, but I've rarely seen a digital kickstarter that diverge so much from its original goals.

It's like the team didn't even take time to verify Unity was really the API to use, and its possibilities to realise the goals they wanted for us.

I must say the main reasons I invested thousands in this game was for kickstarter goals that will never see the light of day (officially confirmed).

I also had NO idea Lord British AND Darkstarr could make a come back and alienate all their PVP fans, cause thats the truth they were fans, like deep fans, those who you can't usually get rid of.

If they had stayed with a background role I would understand... but seeing king Gariott relatively spit on this whole player niche was eerie at best. He and Darkstarr created them with chaos and order, factions and whatnot.

Anyways to get back on topic, yes I feel like we need much more social engeneering than elves in the game. Yet even without getting into an argument with anyone, I just know elves is on the platter... just like EA.

In fact I feel like Portalarium is imitating EA, almost point for point.

Thats just a feeling, I doubt thats the goal for our liege, but someone is pressuring him down that road, possibly having him convinced this is the only way to "last" and make money while having fun in this competitive industry.

I beg to differ, yet my voice is like a ghost we'd rather exorcise than face.

I have also seen INCREDIBLE contributors, both in art and design, leave with an anger I have rarely seen. Theater people, graphical artists, philosophers, mountains of UO lore...

They left and they're not coming back.

Slayer Exodus and Joviex like this.
  18. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

You do know that he alienated a lot of his ultima fans with UO right?

19. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

EA's UO.

Rune I love you, at least you're there and you don't just look down.

You have to understand yet many things about the depth of the abyss that was opened with UO.

I have had the privilege to see what Lord Gariott, Lord Darkstarr, Lord Lum, Lord Iolo, Lord Hickman... and so many others had wanted to UO.

I have had the ... "privilege" to be thrown in the center of it all and seeing everyone at work daily, and much more I cannot speak about without sounding completely crazy.

I have also had the """privilege""" to see this whole dream being torn apart by the guardian from an out of time perspective.

My whole stance is formulated as a sincere apology, because I have played and I have destroyed so much, and only through the truth and virtues I can ever repair the harm done. In my heart and from all I have seen, Portalarium deserve patience and understanding as they get a grip on this. Lord Gariott deserve I call him king.

I am a humble companion, and you know... you just know what that means.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.