Why is Sota so WoW Like?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MauganRa, Jul 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MauganRa

MauganRa Avatar

I did the same thing, but with Hero Engine. Even Hero Engine offers a much much better straight out of the box combat system lol.

2. Morgnes

Morgnes Avatar

Well, I'd say you're wrong, specially in retrospect, most hated it because it was tough, now everyone cries about WoW being to easy....

1) Concerning the argument whether SotA = WoW (which is/was your point of view), you just made a statment against it
    2) It was said several time SotA isn't intended to be a new UO

Since I didn't play UO or any of the current Releases I can't comment on that

1) We're still in "pre-alpha", meaning core elements, story is held back on purpose, we are nowhere near feature complete, any judgement now on what will be in the game at release it just misguided, imho
    2) The store, ah the store one of my favorite topics: In my opinion ripping you off was certainly their intention.
    3) "Ingame advantage" that's where this nasty p2w taste in your mouth comes from...

Just to repeat myself:
    1) We're still in "pre-alpha", meaning core elements, story is held back on purpose, we are nowhere near feature complete, any judgement now on what will be in the game at release it just misguided, imho

Maybe, but just maybe it's not about what you think is a great combat system, but rather what the devs think is a great system, but I could be wrong on that one....

3. leilakin

leilakin Avatar

Because it's nothing like WoW. At all. IN any way.
    SKill trees in RPGs have been around since before WoW, fyi...

Jynx likes this.
  4. redfish

redfish Avatar

How is a raven like a writing desk?

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  5. Undelivered

Undelivered Avatar

Its nothing like WoW, if anything WoW was like Ultima Online. Last thing I have to say is this is pre alpha, so yes it does have pvp and combat and crafting what mmo doesn't?

Jynx likes this.
  6. mindmage44

mindmage44 Avatar

I could see your point in it seeming to be a bit like wow. The UI enhancements of wow at the time where great. Less clicking basically. It was easier to organize your hot bar setup. (Though it lacked the amount of abilities you could get in UO). Spell effects as well as concepts in this game .. eh maybe a few of the melee abilities seems like WoW and some Diablo as well as other games.

I feel the games concept is more about everything then just one aspect of the game. Many people love player versus player, player versus monster, role playing, crafting and harvesting. What do you like about this game? What do you want to see the game have? Is there an enhancement to some ability/skill/craft/monster etc that you want to see?

It is easy to say "This part of the game is lacking." Its harder to come up with a solution (idea/concept) that will update this part of the game, without harming the balance or enjoyment of other parts of a game.

This is Shroud of the Avatar, a new world, with it's own ideas. Using mechanics that have been proven to be successful throughout the history of all MMO's. Shroud of the Avatar will not be the first to do these things, nor will they be the last. If you ask me, it's about time the grandfather of MMO theory and design step up years later to lead us into another revolutionary world in which we will enjoy for years to come.

7. Derium

Derium Avatar

Our experiences might be different, but my entire guild was pretty pissed, as were other high end raiders. The FIRST quest that gave you green boots were better than your Naxx gear. The only reason you kept full T3 on was because the set bonuses were better. Sad it took us over a year of raids, and clearing Naxx for hours a week, just to have a "go pick that up off the ground and give it to me" quest give you gear that blew T3 out of the water.

but yes, Wow is too easy now, that's for sure.

Jynx, Leos and Kaisa like this.
  8. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

9. Gix

Gix Avatar

You know, the OP compares SotA to WoW and... honestly, I don't blame him.

Hear me out:
    He's comparing the games based on systems that are in the foreground for the player: UI, cooldowns, skill trees, tab-targetting, etc. So yeah, in those regards, SotA is similar to WoW... much like every other MMO out there... much like WoW was a to EQ and UO back in the day.

Now, I'm not here to say that SotA is the best thing ever and blah blah blah but what I will say is that, if you look underneath the foreground elements, SotA is drastically different than most modern MMO.

- That card system for combat adds a "Magic: the Gathering" element and achieves what the original GuildWars was almost able to do.
    - This is the only modern online game where player housing is NOT instanced. Not to mentioned the houses aren't a chore to upkeep.
    - The dialogue system seems to originate from Ultima 4. Its simple yet adds so much sophistication to the interaction with NPCs I'm surprised RPGs don't do this more often. The iOS "Siri"-style dialogue recognition algorithms should be a boon provided it works as advertised.
    - The original GuildWars-style instances can/will provide encounters specifically tailored for you while the persistent cities/town/villages will act as hubs and offer a sense of membership (with player towns and houses).

These are only but four elements that are completely missing from games like WoW.

10. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

When I play I feel like a mix of UO, guildwars and diablo... not much WoW although I must admit in combat I often feel as in WoW...

It's a strange feeling, very contrary to what I felt when playing (or even opening) UO

As the intro video states in SotA my heart would race, I would lean forward on my chair and log in, it was so strong even hackers and pks wouldn't bother me. I had fun listening to that small video, but when it ended I was pulled back on my chair, no this is not a sandbox... this is a social media game...

I got my house cleared in UO twice by hackers (no I did no lose my keys, they used the sac of flour bug) and I didn't even mind a bit, I went back and walked the walk.

Now... well I think I said enough. When I complain people tell me well then go in your corner and decorate your house alone. Yeh what a great sense of community we have...

Sir Cabirus and Lord Baldrith like this.
  11. Duke William of Serenite

Duke William of Serenite Avatar

This is obviously a troll post. If you want to find a game that is exactly like WoW try rift. But this game is all on its own.

Gestankfaust likes this.
  12. Gestankfaust

Gestankfaust Avatar

So completely this ^

Yet these type of threads always work as food for said trolls.....

:rolleyes:

13. crsuch

crsuch Avatar

I agree with the above poster... It doesn't have the same sense of exploration that came with UO. In UO you could literally run for an hour, get lost in the woods and really explore. The limitations of the current instancing/zone system is a pretty big draw back for me. I really feel like an isometric MMO with modern combat and graphics would have been a better model. The world would have been more easily built out with less zoning issues that we currently see... And honestly, the card system adds a bit of fun, but it's just a small tweek to what bores with me with current MMOs namely cooldowns and channeling bars.

Dane, Joviex, Lord Baldrith and 3 others like this.
  14. Lathiari

Lathiari Avatar

We don't have to convince anyone to like something, if you don't like what this title is doing you are free to leave. If however you feel so inclined to make a post on the games forum about the fact that you are leaving could you at least present a better argument as to why? You call the game a wow rip off but that is kind of like calling Lemonade a Water rip off.

You should spend more time in your post showing which parallels bothered you the most and how they are similar, every single thing you posted there is completely vague. I do not fault you for finding criticism but I do fault you for not making it constructive, you are helping nothing and all of this bellyaching will amount to a fart in the wind in the end. If you just want to leave, then leave but if you want to tell the people or the developers WHY you think the game is bad then do it in a way that helps us to see it.

I also take fault with the fact that you list 2 areas where the games are vastly different only to dismiss them one sentence later. You can't dismiss facts to support your argument, that's crazy! The crafting system in this game is MILES ahead of anything World of Warcraft ever attempted - even in a PRE ALPHA state. The cards system is an excellent early combat entry that will grow and improve with time as well and again, is completely different than the dial-a-combo WoW style.

I'm sorry that you have not the patience to see what this pre release product will grow into with the rest of us and I respect that you say you played UO for 12 years.. but if the idea that even a fraction of the fun you had in those 12 years could be recaptured within SotA is not enough to entice you to stay, then I wish you well in your quest.

Gaelis, crsuch and Kaisa like this.
  15. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

16. Greymarch

Greymarch Avatar

I sometimes get the feeling that a lot of people here have only played UO and WoW and base all their posts between these two extremes...

Silent Strider likes this.
  17. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Maybe they were traumatised Greymarch, try to have some compassion, they're really passionate :p

18. Lordy

Lordy Avatar

I know I could sound rude....but really I had problems which for the last 3 days prevented me to go to the toilet for the "number 2 thing"....seriously after reading "SOTA is a WOW rip off" ....I had to jump straightforward to the toilet.....woooot!!!! thanks man....you made my day.

PS
    I have something like 5 characters on WOW all level 90.... i made my university thesis on the Macro Economical system in WOW....just to point that i know the product :D

I'd say SOTA it's actually the opposite of WOW....(thing this that, of course, many people could also call negative) ^_^

19. Nemo Herringwary

Nemo Herringwary Avatar

It really isn't fair to call the original post a troll; he just has a differing opinion on where the game should go, and where he thinks it already has... and almost certainly it's one he honestly believes, so why shouldn't he have the right to express that opinion?

A far better criticism is that he's not prepared to honestly answer his own question.

Why is the game so much like WoW? Well, let's assume it is. It would be for the same reason WoW is such a gigantic success story, and that after Ultima Online's early years, every successful MMO learned from UO's mistakes and went down a similar path... the idea of a sandbox, "full loot", "full pvp" game just doesn't have an audience of more than 50-100,000 players worldwide at most. And it usually has a totally toxic public reputation too; even where the basic game includes PvP and proves popular (FPS games, MOBA games) toxicity in the community has to be constantly tackled to keep its success. And when it comes to actual game content, people prefer the theme park progression, or safe from griefing sandbox. Facebook games crush even any MOBA for users.

Threads like this are just a wail of despair that the authors still don't understand why their playstyle is a minority. And on that level, that's perfectly fine. But the facts are long in; even for UO for that matter, subscriptions continued to rise long past Trammel, despite the claims of people who don't want to believe that. What killed the game was Age of Shadows rather, and it's horrible Diablo-esque itemisation.

There's lots to honestly be concerned about with regards to Shroud; it's far from perfect. Is it exactly like WoW? Clearly not, WoW doesn't have housing for a start. Nor does WoW have offline play. Shroud's sins, when the final design makes it way to the stores, will be entirely it's own. But assuming you can just roll back nearly 2 decades of MMO design and experience is ridiculous; nothing would ensure the game fails in market terms than listening to people who cannot face their assumptions are frankly outright wrong; They aren't wrong about what they personally enjoy or don't... they are wrong about is what other people enjoy. And that's not WoW as such, but the things WoW does which allows them to find that enjoyment without the negative influence of other people; yes Shroud has that too. Any MMO that wants to thrive will too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.