Music for my holdfast?

Discussion in 'The Bards of Poets' Circle' started by Deloria, Aug 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deloria

Deloria Avatar

*Shy wave*

Is it possible to make my own music play in our holdfast? I have a few selfwritten themes I would like to have playing.
    I just wonder how much we can customise with our own music?
    Would I need to get it approved or put in the shop?

2. Santa Clause

Santa Clause Avatar

Hi Deloria,

I have no idea about getting specific music to play in your holdfast but, I would probably suggest formally submitting your song(s) via the process laid out in the thread at the top of this sub-forum and see if you can get it officially in-game that way.

Hope that's somewhat helpful.

3. Mata

Mata Avatar

Nice idea Deloria!

4. stile

stile Avatar

With the addition of the in game radios. If they go into the game and work as currently planned, you can tube them to any soundcast or icecast server.

With that being the case you could get one or the other and put what music you want on it, then tune the radio in your house to it.

I believe icecast can be set up fairly easily and at no cost of you have a web service, but dont quote me on that!! I do have some project ideas in mind that would use icecast and its on my to do list to look at it. Once i get around to it ill pop back in here and let you know my findings.

5. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

I did suggest that in the HotA Playertown - They liked it and Chris said that it is not so hard to implend.

Watch from minute 55.

So background music for the hole playertown hex adjustable i hope.

6. Deloria

Deloria Avatar

It was helpful thankyou :) The whole submission thing makes my hair hurt (and the brain beneath it) I checked the songlist but it gives me the same feeling when someone asks me to do math :p

I think I would like just to make a point in the map that if you step over it music plays, and somewhere you can pick the music. I would like to make my music official - it would be nice to share it and see it in the game, but one or two tracks I just want to have for myself. Ish shelfish.

Awesomesauce!

7. Kailef

Kailef Master Bard

Deloria,

For what you're wanting, I don't think there is currently an official means of submitting music. I've been pretty closely involved in the music creation process (as much as a non-Portalarium employee can be, anyhow) and I can say with reasonable confidence that the admittedly intimidating "brain-hurting music submission spreadsheet" you mentioned really isn't geared towards what you're looking to do.

Despite that, I've heard and read in more than one place that Portalarium is at the very least considering allowing player-owned communities to have their own music. At this time though, I think that Portalarium is currently focused on "baking the cake", and fun details like custom town music are probably going to happen later on in the "frosting and decoration" phase.

Currently, there's no official word on if it will indeed be allowed. Even if the decision to allow it is made, Portalarium will still need to define the processes and procedures for submitting music for that purpose before it can happen. So, at this stage, I'll pull a item from the Jedi playbook and recommend patience.

My suggestion for what to do in the meantime would be to review the songs that have already been accepted by Portalarium as in-game music, and the suggestions that Richard Garriott posted. Both of those things can be found in the "Crowdsourced Music Final Submission Thread". If you make sure your music meets those guidelines and examples, you're a step ahead of the game. That way, if and when the time comes that Portalarium starts to consider implementing player town custom music, you'll have something prepared that's already matching their criteria for acceptance.

I hope that helps!

8. Deloria

Deloria Avatar

patience is for hospitalce.

I will try and wrap my hair around the submission process and hope some of it rubs off :p

9. Duke William of Serenite

Duke William of Serenite Avatar

Yes she has had some great ideas...

Change your name to Matron Malice!!!

10. adaamhimself

adaamhimself Avatar

I'll buy a holdfast if I'm allowed to play bananaphone on loop for my residents.

Filthy Peasant likes this.
  11. Silverglade

Silverglade Avatar

It seems the submission information is only for avatar creations. How about things outside that scope if its a purchased piece of music as an example?

12. mike11

mike11 Avatar

Perhaps a alternative and a way to 'bypass' the submission process, maybe there could be a streaming radio devices item that could be placed and would then be heard by those in its immediate radius?

Those radios could be streaming looped songs.

The only problem might arise when another player entering that zone could hear that music playing. And if that was not approved music, then that would mean that players could hear modern metal or electronic music, or anything!

Gasp!!

It could be immersion breaking... But still maybe something like that would be useful, still.

Sent from my GT-S5690M using Tapatalk 2

13. Kailef

Kailef Master Bard

By the way: If you guys haven't listened to Deloria's music, you really should.

Deloria's Soundcloud page

It's very, very good.

For example:

and

Definitely worth taking a little time and listening to, I think.

14. Sole

Sole Avatar

Yes, definitely woth listening!

15. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

That shouldn't be an issue, I believe the radios are tied to each individual client, and the station heard is based on your computer's config file. So her residents will only hear the specific station Deloria wants them to if she instructs them as they move in, to change their config file. (then all radios in all of Novia will play that same station for these residents.)

Deloria: Not only are you an excellent writer/poet, but a songstress? <bows down to the Masterful Minstrel> <clicks Follow>

16. lock426

lock426 Avatar

That'd be a nice feature to add. At the very least I'd like to be able to veto certain songs that are already in the game for my town. Nothing against people who like bagpipes but they give me a terrible headache and I have to mute the game every time they play in the background.

17. Jynx

Jynx Avatar

Suggestion:
    As owner of a player town, you should have access to a playlist of the available Portalarium approved tracks. From that you can then pick and choose the tracks that fits your theme best.

18. Holt

Holt Avatar

I have to concentrate on the music Portalarium has indicated it wants produced, but I am open to the idea that owners of holdfasts be able to commission theme-appropriate 'extra music' from Poets' Circle composers or other musicians who are contributors to the soundtrack.

I think that music should undergo the same process that current music is going through to get into the game, but if the soundtrack is compressed into .ogg or some other ultra-conservative format, it shouldn't be too much extra kilobytes.

When the time is right, I will represent the holdfasts in asking that this (or something like it) be allowed.

19. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    I have made up a rough draft for a music theme for "Sawtooth Hollow". I would appreciate any feedback on it. Thank you.

20. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

I'd be fine if someone entered my holdfast got blasted with "I really really really really really really like you. And I want you, do you want me, do you want me, too?" Or some nice Cetlic music instead.

Ravicus yours is awesome! :) Makes me think I shall skip your town if I hear that. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.