Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

the new method of creating combos

Discussion in 'Release 10 Feedback' started by jiirc, Sep 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

It's not so much a new method but an additional method.

With yesterday's build a second way to create combos was added. The first way was introduced last release, the second method is being introduced this release. combining two of the same cards together is an interesting approach to combos. I do like the idea, but my comments are about the implementation. I'm wondering why the current system of creating combos wasn't used as well.

Being in battle and having to stop attacking to drag two skills or spells together to get a benefit borders on being useful. It also means spending a few more seconds looking at the bar than being able to move. I was finding myself wanting to be able to use the keyboard to combine the spells rather than dragging. So why couldn't the current system for combining skills and spells be used to combine two or more of the same spell?

I also wonder about the disparity between the combination effect when comparing the combining effects between magic spells and combat skills. But that's for another post.

2. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

I agree. I would like to be able to combine cards (or glyphs or whatever they're called now) using the keyboard. It seems like that would be easy enough to implement. Maybe you could double tap the card you want to combine and then double tap the final card in the combo series. So, if you wanted to combine three cards in the 1, 2 and 3 slot.. you double tap 1, tap 2, double tap 3 to finish off the combo.

3. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

.. or if double tapping wouldn't be feasible for the devs, you could hold down the first card in the combo.. then after you hit the other cards you release the first card. Example: You want to combine 1, 2 and 3. Hold down 3.. hit 2, hit 1, then release 3 for the combo.

Spoon likes this.
  4. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

Right now there is a hot key, x by default, that lets you create combos. When you press the key, the glyphs that can be combined light up (ie. they have a highlighted border). You then press the two keys that would form the combo. This is the way that the R9 combos worked. Because you could combine more than two cards that are the same skill, you'd probably have to press the key again to say you've combined all the cards you want to combine. There is some further logic needed to separate the two systems so that you couldn't combine the same spell multiple times and then try to combine that combo'ed spell with a different glyph. But it doesn't seem that hard. ;)

5. redfish

redfish Avatar

Bytor,

Or it could just involve right-clicking one and then the other, or shift-clicking, control-clicking, middle-clicking, etc.

ByTor [MGT] likes this.
  6. Borg

Borg Avatar

In my opinion having to click on the glyphs to combine them or having to press R key and then press hot keys is a cumbersome way to implement combos.
    If two glyphs can be combined to create a combo wouldn't it be better to just casting them in the right order and right timing?
    This way the combo effect will be triggered if you cast the second spell at the right moment.

AdamZax and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  7. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

What about insta cast spells or spells that have a very short casting time?

8. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

However, I may have been pressing the wrong keys last time. At lteast that's my story.

It turns out that with tonight's test, and Chris mentioning it, you can in fact use the hot key (R by default) to combine glyhs to do what the devs are calling a power up combo. That is what they are calling the same glyph combo. Hit the combo key, press the numbers then press the combo when ready. There isn't any 'finished making combo' key; just hit the key with the combo. So hitting r starts the combo building. If the glyphs are in 123 then hit 123 to combine them and 3 again to use the powered up combo.

9. Borg

Borg Avatar

I find it annoying and unnecessary I would see more immersive and natural a combo being the effect of a successful casting sequence,
    it would be something like the crafting system but adding timing and order, so if you cast the correct spells in the right order and timing you trigger a combo effect as final result.
    There would even be the same try and discover effect in adventuring skills to find the right combination to trigger a combo, as we have right now in crafting skills to find the right resources combination to find a recipe.

Hazard likes this.
  10. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

Well the power up combos are pretty obvious. :) For them you are pretty much describing what happens. You are hitting keys in sequence. I find that I do the power up combos and use it right away. So I would hit the combo key, the only addition to the sequence, then hit the two keys and the third key to fire it off (they changed the sequence to two keys for the combo or I thought three keys were being combined and they weren't). So hit r, the keys and boom fire it off; just like you are requesting. I don't find it either annoying or uneccessary. IThe added benefit with this method is that you can save a glyph by combining it and opening up a space, both beneficial action in my eyes.

As for try and discover, I imagine a lot of people finding a place where they can grind and mash keys on single mobs. While it probably would be ok from a story perspective, I hate using the word immersion, I feel it needs to be balanced with a quality of life perspective. For me I lean towards the quality of life perspective.

11. Borg

Borg Avatar

No, is not the same, I cant' explain it better to let you see the difference.
    About grinding, is not grinding what people is actually doing on the crafting system to discover new recipes?OFC a trial and error system implies certain grade of grinding.

12. AndiZ275

AndiZ275 Avatar

I'd love to see those power up combos automatically. After doing some testing in combat, it's highly irritating for me and takes me out of combat too easy. Sadly it's the same problem I have with the normal combos. This dragging of glyphs tends to take me out of the action and lets me stare at my skill bar half of the time...

The sad thing is, I love the combo idea and combining different skills, but often I'm not fast enough for this or loose track of the combat itself (or my health bar)...

Hazard likes this.
  13. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

Don't drag them, use the combo hot key. It's R by default, iirc.

14. Greymarch

Greymarch Avatar

If you plan on using combos extensively increasing your discard time to max is pretty much necessary. I didn't know about the shortcut, gonna have to test that out tonight!

15. AndiZ275

AndiZ275 Avatar

I'd love to see Cards don't discard at all, so you have plenty of time to prepare your combos before combat (only discard through right click) and only have to bother about the skills you played... At the moment even with longest discard speed, it's hard for me to manage without being stressed. But I'll test it more... (the "r" key sadly doesn't help much for me)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.