Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

The Palaces in Ardoris

Discussion in 'Release 10 Feedback' started by Greymarch, Sep 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greymarch

Greymarch Avatar

I got to play for a bit last night, didn't have time to do much but I did get to go through Ardoris in order to progress the tour quest and explore the Palaces. I was anticipating this from the last release and was pretty disappointed by them when I finally saw them in this release.

Now two of my big concerns were addressed in other posts I see. Namely that the Advisors to Siri never have their nameplate change, and all the guards in the Palace of Wind have the same name. Also the fact that the guards in Ardoris will often demand you halt but never really do anything to stop you. I see that there's supposed to be lever they pull to let you in that wasn't implemented so I guess that explains that. Just seems funny to have a guard yell halt and just run past him "YOLO sucka!"

But my main concern was the size and quality of the "palaces" themselves. I was really expecting something a bit more grand tbh. I've seen some of the player housing that looks larger than these which basically boil down to an foyer, side room, dining room, kitchen and upstairs bedroom. Not much of a palace for the rulers of "one of the largest cities on Novia".

There is a fair amount of empty space outside within the outer walls which doesn't really appear to be used for anything. I'd rather see the palaces expanded that just having a bunch of space for no reasons. If some smaller outbuildings or gardens or something are going to be added later that'd be fine but right now it seems to be a waste.

Ultimately though the thing that got me down about the palaces was just how drab they seemed. Bare unpainted stone walls, crates lying around in the middle of the kitchens barely any decoration, lack of NPCs. One nice thing in Ultima was going to Lord British's castle and talking to the servants and stableboys and all of that. Here there's just the Lord/Lady, 1 or 2 advisors and a few guards.

Are the palaces still be worked on or is this what is being envisioned size/population/decoration wise for release?

2. selbie

selbie Avatar

I agree, the size and design of the palace and grounds are way out of proportion. I also don't understand the lack of structural "sense" the devs have when they place these hovering balconies sticking out of the buildings. You simply cannot cantilever such a huge span without gigantic steel members to support its weight.

3. Greymarch

Greymarch Avatar

The lack of guard rail at the end is also disconcerting ;)

AvatarGG and Sunswords like this.
  4. adaamhimself

adaamhimself Avatar

This is madness!

5. Lum the Mad

Lum the Mad Developer Emeritus Dev Emeritus

The palaces are still being worked on, especially as regard to NPCs.

Not to Banting! He has a dialog entry referring to how he thinks you should use them. :)

Ask him how to get to the palace of the winds...

6. Sunswords

Sunswords Avatar

More disconcerting is the fact I could leap off the balcony and not die upon impact with the ground. :D

7. Greymarch

Greymarch Avatar

Such is the power of LOVE

8. AvatarGG

Knowing that Richard Garriott loves greco-latin history, I think it is some kind of Tarpeian Rock.

9. Ao Soliwilos

Ao Soliwilos Avatar

Palaces like these should be huge labyrinths with hidden rooms and be fun to simply explore. As they were now, they really did appear small and uneventful.

10. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

I agree with Greymarch's (OP) point.

I also find a lack of guard rails disconcerting. Maybe I need to pay more attention.

11. Rondar

Rondar Avatar

The Palaces/Castles in Ardoris to my liking do not have enough complexity. Since they may be designed around the SotA's story line I can't say how many more rooms and hallways or maybe hidden passages are needed, but they do seem sparse to me. But what bugs me most is that the Palaces are all almost identical.

All in all I did enjoy my visit to Ardoris what with i'ts maze of alleyways and viaducts. Most of all I enjoyed the Oricale confirmatory with the eyes that follow you as you moved.

12. Rondar

Rondar Avatar

Instead of a guard rail perhaps a magical glowing/sparkly energy field would be appropriate.

13. adaamhimself

adaamhimself Avatar

They probably designed it this way so it fits on a plot and they can sell it in the add on store.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.