Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

DO NOT Give Out Exclusive Items in a Release!

Discussion in 'Release 10 Feedback' started by VZ_, Sep 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tartness

Tartness Avatar

I am having the same issue I usually have, not being able to patch the game in time to play it.

[​IMG]

Since the client randomly just stops updating after completing some patches(which are VERY slow to begin with), I have to keep coming back to my PC to check. If stopped then I need to kill the Launcher and restart it. This has been "updating" for over 24hrs now and is the main factor why I am unable to test.

I will E-Mail them I suppose and see what they have to say. I just would like to say myself that it is very frustrating not being able to test this game and even more so when seemingly exclusive items are given away for doing so, especially when the patching process takes longer to complete than the game test window runs for.

2. smack

smack Avatar

Koldar likes this.
  3. Tartness

Tartness Avatar

4. smack

smack Avatar

BurningToad posted a link to it in the Bug Forums, here.

Svahn and AvatarAcid like this.
  5. Tartness

Tartness Avatar

Well thank you smack. I can't keep up with the forum, I've got too much on. They should include this in the release instructions which I do read. Is that the first time they have done this? Or have I now missed every build because I can't keep up with the forum?

I will have to keep patching normally though this time, I've got three days until my monthly quota resets. I don't have enough left to download 1.7gb more!

6. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Another tip is that they seem to always do a short 2-3h trial with dev+ one or two days before release.
    So download etc back when you see the first bug report in the release forum.
    Then when it is public it was only the last patch that needed updating.
    That way one could take the big bunch during low-traffic as we'll, depending on ISP that could give some more hmf.

7. 3devious

3devious Avatar

Every time they announce the release, they give a link to the direct download and it seems they have been doing this since at least release 8. It is also in your account info on the main site and has been for some time.

I admit that it isn't perfectly intuitive but it's not like they've been hiding it on you. We just need better documentation and to help each other. I get that you're busy. I'm too busy and sick to even try much of the game right now and I get to log in and read this. We all got our cross to bear. I hope that the direct download takes a good burden off of your patching issues. (Good luck fighting the good fight with data caps, that I one of my favorite soapbox issues and I will help carry your banner just name the place!)

8. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

I love these new quests that give exclusive items......hope there is a lot more of them.

It encourages people to actually log into the alpha and test it.

I do feel for those who are unable to complete the quest for whatever reason........however this is no different from an event in a live game, some people can get there, some people cant, some people will have a poor connection, some people might crash half way through, the item might be limited and you wont get it.

I see no problem with these exclusive items at all.

EDIT:
    Remember everyone will still have the opportunity to obtain the items anyway through buyers/sellers when the game launches.

9. DyNaMiX

DyNaMiX Avatar

Do you honestly see no problem with that?!

Caliya likes this.
  10. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Nothing in life can perfect all of the time......number of times I've been involved in raids or quests on other games and I've crashed and not get the special items......you just move on and get over it.

If anyone remembers the early days of UO on dial up when you would lag out and die to a lizardman (and full looted by someone) will know exactly what I mean. I remember the landrush at the AoS launch, placed a house and the server got restarted and rolled back several times.

At the end of it there are more important things in the game than a pixel hat, if you want one I'm sure you will get one at some point.....just not worth getting upset over.

11. Kain3

Kain3 Avatar

I crashed about 2-3 times trying to get to Ardoris. The key is persistence. I did the quest and got the item. Even if I didnt it wouldnt matter much because its an event token. There will be other tokens in the future, even after launch. No need to worry about it. :)

But in regards to exclusive items that mark a milestone or event in the game pre-release, I think they should have them. People will sell them at some point (not all mind you) and as Invidia said, there will be other tokens either similar to the cavalier, or an entirely different item.

12. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

I'm not sure I'd call it a "must have" item. Believe me, I'm all about criticizing Portalarium's business model with the Addon Store and the Pledge Rewards, but this is just a hat that doesn't offer any protection or do anything special at all.

13. Logain

Logain Avatar

I would like to offer you to run to the 'tour guides' (if we catch each other online), so you'd simply zone to me, talk to the NPC and zone back out. I doubt you'd see anything more than you might see on a screenshoot in the update news, so it's hardly going to spoiler anything for you.

14. Akrondar

Akrondar Avatar

If it helps to bring people to test the game, welcome!

Maybe there could be alternative ways to get the reward while testing featured systems by devs without spoiling lore content (maybe gathering, crafting quests?)

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  15. DyNaMiX

DyNaMiX Avatar

And my other point:

It does. And in doing so I'm discovering another crash issue ergo I'm not receiving the hat as a result? That's backwards logic there. Or is my contribution to testing not worthy of a hat because I actually encountered a game breaking bug?

Joviex likes this.
  16. Kain3

Kain3 Avatar

Actually it spoils nothing. The tour guides are not hidden deep into areas. In fact the lot of them are near entrances exactly for this reason. The only spoiler (if one could call it such) is the where each place lies.

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  17. Akrondar

Akrondar Avatar

It helps the devs and the game you backed to know that you crashed in R10. I guess it is not totally fair if you finally dont get the hat, but maybe thanks to your feedback the devs could resolve the problem and you will be able to participate on the next releases.

Maybe if one backer post the crash file on the forums the devs could deliver the hat anyway? That way people would be encouraged to test the client even if it crashes.

18. Akrondar

Akrondar Avatar

I noticed that too, all the quest NPCS are at the entrances of points of interest, but i understand if someone doesnt want to spoil the game before final release.

19. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

All depends how precious you want to be over a hat.

The real reward is knowing your submitted a bug and that it is going to be fixed to enable the game to be better.

20. smack

smack Avatar

Thanks. I may consider something like that, but Chris also suggested I play in /classicmode too :D

Arianna likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.