Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

DO NOT Give Out Exclusive Items in a Release!

Discussion in 'Release 10 Feedback' started by VZ_, Sep 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DyNaMiX

DyNaMiX Avatar

You were able to conclude that people are putting their entire priority in cavalier hats from just this post? How insightful...

I'm pretty sure my PC smashes the requirements for this game. And requirements are hardly applicable for a pre-alpha release. You cannot possibly know what the final requirements are when the game is not finished.

No-one suggested that incentives weren't allowed. As I said quite clearly, "specific" incentives might not be a good idea. This may only reward someone who logs in and completes an arbitrary quest. Yet the ones who cannot log in, but provide meaningful technical data would be led to think they are missing out. A few members pointed out that this isn't quite the case and those who provide the technical data for crashing will still receive the reward (which is a good idea and pretty much the primary solution for my entire contention).

Did you actually read the topic? No-one here is angry, upset, unhappy or otherwise. A few people, such as yourself, have attempted to quantify the item. But that's not the point of the post. The point of my post is that some people will miss out on an item because of a technical issue out of their control which is still contributing towards testing in principle. And that's not quite fair, and something we've come to learn the developers agree on.

But I will say this, because you're one of many who have done it. Quantifying the issue for others, based on your own experience, is a very negative facet of this community at times. The fact that a technical issue can be so quickly swept away because of the apparent inherent value of a digital item is rediculous and is starting to show a very materialistic trend in some of the attitudes of people here.

If this were a housing issue, can you imagine the tears from those who have invested large (or absurd) amounts of money? Imagine if no-one supported you simply because they deemed your hundreds of real life dollars for a "virtual house" were inconsequential and insignificant? You'd be unhappy.

So for the final time, the hat is not the point. The point is that exclusivity may arise as a result of factors outside the control of players and possibly developers and that an alternative solution or arrangement needs to be in place (which we know is). As I said earlier, I wasn't aware initially until my post was made and I've already contacted support and expect an answer in the next few days, if not already.

Caska DiFumarate and Joviex like this.
  2. jkells

jkells Avatar

Would you like my hat?

Vendetta likes this.
  3. DyNaMiX

DyNaMiX Avatar

Thanks for the offer, but it's quite okay. I'm not after the hat. I'm simply providing feedback as I'm able to. ;)

Caliya, Seon and Joviex like this.
  4. robatzen

robatzen Avatar

In contrast to the op, I really like the idea of providing a small quest for each release! I really cant see any problems giving out exclusive vanity items to those who participate in those events.

After all this is just a hat ... not an indestructible supremely accurate halberd of vanquishing ...

To be honest this hat does not even look very nice ... and it took me almost half a minute to bear the fact that it is just black - I mean just black not pitch-black!

What a huge disappointment!

If WBB would already be ingame and if this hat would be pitch-black I would absolutly understand and support the criticism, after all we are all fashion whores aren't we? :)

mudchipper, Seon, fantalio and 2 others like this.
  5. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Mr. Hat says......

[​IMG]

Gaelis, smack and Caska DiFumarate like this.
  6. iwanbo

iwanbo Avatar

Vanity items have been handed out in games for participating in events since UO. It's a vanity item and nothing more. Granted the people having technical issues getting in-game have a legitimate issue, so I hope they get things buttoned up with support.

At the end of the day it is a nice gesture to do things like this to reward the people who were there to stick it through thick and thin of the development. Heck, I was jealous of people with their crowns this weekend because I didn't get one, but that's it. I had gf aggro and couldn't get in-game. I missed out, so it is what it is.

I hope we get more neat little items throughout the testing process.

7. Dame Lori

Dame Lori Avatar

You're surprised that after 10 releases, it's human nature to not be so excited to have a go at the same unfinished game? Or even to just want to wait until the game is done instead of playtesting at all? I'm one of the biggest fans here, and I didn't log in for R9. I logged in for R10 because of the hat. My schedule lately hasn't allowed me to dedicate time for playtesting just for the goodwill of helping out, so an incentive encouraged me to carve out a chunk of time for it. (and I'm glad I did, I actually enjoyed my Stump Tales more than earning a hat :D )

Perhaps they should keep a way to earn the rewards throughout each future release. So if you can't log in this weekend, you can try R11 for this hat, and also the new R11 quest hat.

(*some edits for grammar/typos - I need to stop posting on Monday mornings.. :oops:*)

8. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

That's a good idea, Dame Lori! I was barely able to complete the quest Friday evening before the game crashed on me for the seventh time (even more than that if you include the two Dev+ tests) - this time in Ardoris :eek: Spent a big chunk of time ( 3+ hours) Saturday doing a complete reinstallation :( (Didn't want to delete my character a fourth time for fear of losing the cavalier hat o_O)

Logain and Dame Lori like this.
  9. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

Great suggestion Dame Lori.

But if they do that i am afraid we miss out on you next release as you have no pressure to get an item anymore. You would know you can get it later.

I think if i missed out because of technical reasons contacting support is the solution Portalarium did give.

So the hole complaining is invalid. Contact support. Done.

If you did not log in then no reason to complain.

I did miss out on some rares.
    The fun about missing out is trying to get it later.
    Maybe trade vs other rare.
    Maybe provide a service ingame.

What is happening in this thread is the same as during benefactor vs founder, the same as during the gifting founder level, the same as all complained about new pledge levels and rewards:

When morality comes up against profit, it is seldom that profit loses.

-Quote from Shirley Chisholm.

Morality: hats are good to get testers

Profit: this item will have huge value for rare collectors the more time passing.

10. DyNaMiX

DyNaMiX Avatar

It's not, actually. I have every right to provide feedback and opinions. And I'm actually starting to get sick of the once again elitist attitude here. It's as if people don't like to hear any opinions other than their own. I voiced a concern (which was rectified with the help of other members) and an opinion on the matter.

How is that even comparable? Were people trying to make pledges and having servers crash preventing them for making the transaction on a technicality?

Caliya and Joviex like this.
  11. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

A). I did not question your right to provide feedback.
    I only provided my opinion on your argument.

B). Giving my opinion has nothing to do with elitist.

C). I did compare it correct. Because all my comparisons are related to uniques of items being limited available resulting in complains or later adjustments.

12. Dame Lori

Dame Lori Avatar

I can't speak for others, but I would log in each release to grab the latest one, because who knows where I will be next month or if I will have tech problems and wind up missing the whole lot- and I wouldn't really want to spend a whole day doing one fetch quest after another. But again, that's just me :) They could announce it "New quest for rare item added this release!" and not promote the fact that people can also obtain it later. (I guess that would still cause support tickets, though :confused:)

Myrcello and Gabriel Nightshadow like this.
  13. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

UO probably isn't the best example, since some of those "vanity items" got to be worth as much as 175 billion gold (a piece of Rubble--a painting--from the fall of Maginicia, Atlantic shard). For those counting real dollars, that comes out to close to $200. And you can't wear a painting. :)

Logain and Caliya like this.
  14. Scolari79

Scolari79 Avatar

Can the people having the issues give PC and connection stats? Is this a case of "what do you need to fix/upgrade" instead of a "What are the devs doing to resolve it"..

If you have slow internet or an old machine is that really their problem or is it yours?

When was your last fresh OS install. ..etc

15. rild

rild Avatar

Just a couple pennies ... I thought the Grand Tour quest was really excellent. I'm not sure if I would have made it to Ardoris otherwise, though I explored quite a bit once I was there and thoroughly enjoyed my visit, and received a cryptic verse from the Oracle.
    1. It gave some people who might not explore the new areas a reason to familiarize themselves - in essence a mini-tutorial
    2. It gave everyone the chance to do something that didn't get erased after the release
    3. Offered equal opportunity to backers regardless of pledge level or pledge date, and offering a prize for participation rather than money
    4. They probably got a lot more feedback on those scene changes than they would have. It made people (me at least) put up with the crashes for longer; I CAN HATZ
    5. It was achievable and not frustrating (aside from the crashes). Offered a little of the fun bug to new players.
    6. One more reason to log on
    7. The hat looks cool

Spoon, Myrcello, Galder and 2 others like this.
  16. Galder

Galder Avatar

I also like the idea of a reward in each release. More people log in and provide valuable feedback by completing the corresponding tasks. In this release the hat gave me the chance to find my way and visit some places that -perhaps- I wouldn't ever visit otherwise.

rild, Spoon and Budner like this.
  17. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

This one I gotta disagree.

It gave some people that chance, like those that would do it no matter what.

What I saw was "free ride to Ardoris!" in chat (in game and in the IRC channel).

That gave ppl the /zone <taxicab>... click guide, taxi to another guide... chance.

This is a "good" idea in principle, to provide incentive, even though I personally find it ludicrous people would pay for something and NOT give feedback, you paid them for that chance, but, there should be some new way to enact this.

It does not really engage the player, or "soft" force them to walk around.

Again, ludicrous to me (on some level, since a lot of people don't want to burn content but are being forced to do so to get more "cosmetic" content) since I will happily walk around, explore and do the missions, but....

It is a simple fact: Give people a cheap easy way or a challenge, most will pick easy, so they can go about what they want to do, not have to do. That is nothing new.

Not fully sure I have a solid idea to get people to "test", it is definitely my bane for over a decade, even when those are the people asking for the very changes they need to test.

18. Svahn

Svahn Avatar

I too think it was a good idea with a smallish quest with a permanent reward.
    It has that "carrot on a stick" lure that might make one log on even if perhaps you don't have time to log on.
    At least it had that effect on me this release, and it resulted in a smallish feedback thread by me for the devs to read as they wish - mission accomplished.

It is good that those with problems can contact support and hopefully get the reward too - good on the devs!

19. Svahn

Svahn Avatar

Mata and Logain like this.
  20. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

Let's remember: it's a hat meant to entice people to even log in, to do a tour of the game. It is considered enough of a carrot to do this, otherwise, if everyone thought, "it's just a hat," it wouldn't encourage anyone.

It's not "just" a hat unless it's not worth getting for the majority of people.

People who try to get it, and can't, should not be penalized. I think that was their only point. Not that everyone who wants one, should get one. Big difference.

Joviex and Budner like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.