Scholars of Novia - An Introduction and a Charter

Discussion in 'The Library' started by Scholars of Novia, Sep 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Winfield

Winfield Legend of the Hearth

Here's our member list for the Scholars of Novia.

- Winfield -- Grand Master of Scholars

SCRIBES
    - Amber Raine -- Grand Master of Scribes
    - Gabriel Nightshadow -- Scribe
    - Jack Knyfe -- Scribe
    - Unseen Dragon -- Scribe
    - Wahooka -- Scribe

LORE
    - Malchor2 -- Grand Master of Lore
    - Balec Fares de Cani -- Lore Keeper
    - Bowen Bloodgood -- Lore Keeper
    - Browncoat Jayson -- Lore Keeper
    - Grant MacGregor -- Lore Keeper

Overall, the Scholars are led by the three Grand Masters equally, yet each has individual responsibilities in functional areas (Scholars and Processes, Scribes, and Lore)

We don't have any Masters yet. Those are positions to help the Grand Masters lead the functional areas down the road when people start taking vacations, we have more books to work with, etc.

Numa, RDouglas, Net and 4 others like this.
  2. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

I am no longer a member of the Scholars of Novia. I resigned my position as Scribe on Oct. 7, 2014.

3. Holt

Holt Avatar

Hmm.

What about Grandmaster Bard?

Vyrin likes this.
  4. kadariyan

kadariyan Avatar

Uhnn, one of my projects is a POT of evil Scholars (i'll make this project and if enough players want, i'll buy the POT).

The group...will deal with books, but to keep secrets and the history.

I dont know if it will work, as we have the Scholars of Novia.

Cause i really want to play the ''evil scholar'' (Chaos) , and do things like:

- Satirical books of in game events (like the satirical productions of the ancient world and medieval age) to promove chaos and delusion; (but i really wish to know if this kind of action will not be ''griefing'' or ''trolling'')
    - Books with riddles, to people read and ''treasure hunt'' the informations. Maybe someone will find something in the end. Or just death. Who knows? No gain, no pain.
    - Revisional History: yes, the main plot here is: "He who controls the past controls the future" : the history ''they'' told and keep is a lie, the truth is about secrets and the winner. Now its time to tell the real history....

I just want to know if its possible to make this group..
    ..and know if we will be like ''kill on sight'' for the Scholars, lol.

Its just a preliminar idea, if i get a ''ok'' here i'll start to find more people.

Womby and Vyrin like this.
  5. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

Welcome to the forum! Book publishing will be open to all players as long as they have access to the printing press item in game. We don't know the details on how books will be created, what sort of review process there will be, or the features that the books will have. Stay tuned because it first makes an appearance in Release 13.

I think this could be a great role play idea.

6. kadariyan

kadariyan Avatar

Thank you!

I'll wait for someone here from the Scholars, what they think about.

I dont think we have enough chaos/evil people, but lets see what we can do.

I really want to do something like:

You run in the forest, find a book like "The thousand secrets of Lord Stuart", and find in the book only few pages, about the dark secrets and adventures of the Lord (just a fictional npc) and how he lost his sword and died alone in the hills, without find the true love and a honorable death in the battlefield. Solving riddles, the adventure finally find the son of Stuart, an agent of the group, and get a prize, and another book..with the tragic tale of Stuart, and how he lost everything in the last battle (maybe a pvp guild war, Chaos vs Order) , while now..the good guys celebrate the victory.

"Do you want to know more secrets? Do you want to know the truth? There is no evil, no good..only power...and with power..you make history.....see? Stuart lost everything...now..do you dare call this a quest for goodness? Shhh...dont answer...you know all things that this little book have..you just need to embrace."

It will be like the ''madness is bliss'' theme.

Sure, there will be lies, delusion, evil and madness. Amost everything will not be canon.
    But we know that, the adventures dont.

But...waiting for someone from Scholars before anything.

Vyrin likes this.
  7. Winfield

Welcome to the Forums!

You or any group can form to write books and circulate them (within the rules of Portalarium of course). You can submit books to us Scholars of Novia during our contests and other Calls for Content too. We know there are some great authors in our community as demonstrated in our first Contest, and we are "devoted to the promotion of a rich literary culture in New Britannia."

As for an "ok" here from the Scholars for your "evil scholar" idea, we have not endorsed specific writers nor intend to at this moment -- we select books and writings based on what people write, not who the group or person is. As for being "kill on sight" by the Scholars, I don't see how that will happen ... we are a scholarly group, not a military force.

And as Vyrin also suggested, your idea could be one for the role-playing circles of people in New Britannia.

I hope this helps and welcome once again!

Winfield,
    Grand Master of Scholars

RDouglas, Net, Vyrin and 2 others like this.
  8. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Most interesting. Ok first off I need to put forth a disclaimer. I am not one of the Grand Masters of the scholars and so I am not speaking for them on any official level.. BUT.. what I am is the SotA RPers "RP Event Facilitor" (aka DM) and this sort of thing is right down my proverbial alley as it were.

So take anything I say as a Scholar as 'unofficial'. but I don't see an issue. Your scope and goals are different from ours and that's ok. It sounds like there is a lot of RP potential to be had here.

As a Lore Keeper I think I can say that if your writings are intentionally false than there's no lore conflict to worry about. You're essentially writing fiction.

As a "DM" I'd be more than happy to work with you to facilitate some RP between yours and other groups.

As a Scholar I recommend PMing the Grand Masters and discussing your ideas with them more directly if you're looking to interact in-game.

I doubt you would end up on a 'kill on sight' list but there is some potential here for information warfare which could prove rather fun. :)

9. kadariyan

kadariyan Avatar

Uhnn, thank you for all info.

I'll see with my friends if we start something!

10. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Has there been any consideration of developing lore for player owned towns? There are more than 80 of them currently. I would be interested in the services of an enthusiastic writer. I am OK doing my own thing, but I see value in using the services of a skilled writer especially knowing that the style will fit the in-game lore.

I ask this especially considering how the group is self-regulated for quality. So it is better than single person making a solo attempt without peer review.

Winfield and Bowen Bloodgood like this.
  11. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

I was already thinking about that and would be willing to help.

Winfield and Bowen Bloodgood like this.
  12. Winfield

I also hope to see many player towns writing their lore and documenting their towns through stories, treatises, and literature of all types. As a leader of one player town, I plan to write many books for our town shelves, and also work with great authors and mentors to critique my writing.

I also imagine that we (Scholars of Novia) could run a Call for Submissions or a Contest focused on player town books. That would be fun. The best timing for that may be after Episode 1 starts when the player towns actually exist and persist in the game.

Sir Stile Teckel and Tahru like this.
  13. RDouglas

RDouglas Avatar

Winfield, I will have to redo the intro/book for my avatar... it has been locked on the forums?, thus I can not work on it further here... but have copies on the laptop to use for my printing press. So looking forward to working with everyone on the next release... original post was commented on that I should offer it up for the library/bows and salutes... title "The Spirit moves the Soul"... posted on the same day as this group was founded... cleaning it up and adding to it/smiles....

14. Aventari

Aventari Avatar

Two questions:

1) Are you still taking content? I've only really just started looking into Shroud again after a break.

2) Is there a place where all currently approved lore (beyond what can be found in the game) is stored for easy reference? Last time I was looking in there was only really the Hidden Vale and a map to work with. :)

Acred, Violation Clauth and Tahru like this.
  15. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

The Scholars have been on something of a hiatus for awhile now. So we haven't been taking any new content. Now that SotA has gone persistent our focus is shifting somewhat and it may be awhile before we run another contest (awhile does not mean never though).

To answer the second question. There isn't much in the way of "approved lore" that isn't in-game. Depending of course on what is considered "approved lore" which might be a topic of some debate. There are some fan sites out there with more technical information like www.SotAcraft.com or www.sotaastronomy.com which strictly speaking may not be classified as 'lore'. Though it sounds like your best bet for you seem to be asking is www.SotAwiki.com

Numa, Acred and Tahru like this.
  16. Sophi

Sophi Avatar

Aventari you might want to check out rpota.com and writer's round table sites as they are currently active. :)

although these are fan-created sites with fan-created lore... for official lore you should probably check out Lady FireLotus's writings here in the forums.

17. Aventari

Aventari Avatar

Thanks guys for the quick responses. :)

It seems that a lot of the active writing has moved off these forums?

Edit: For example, it seems like some of the content seems to be generated off-site then reposted here like Virtue's Forge?

Acred and Tahru like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.