Friend Online Only

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by High Baron Asguard, Nov 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. High Baron Asguard

High Baron Asguard Avatar

How will the Friends Only mode actually work?

If its a selection mode done by the game then it could end up being as open as open mode because if I have 8 friends on my list and each of them has another 8 friends etc then that could quickly end up being the whole game population and even if it doesn't how am I only playing with my friends?

8x8x8x8x8x8x8x8 etc

the only way I can think of it working is more like diablo's request system where every time someone comes online and wants to play it pops up a request screen asking "do you want to play with x?" until the scene is full

2. smack

smack Avatar

You basically described the core of the problem for FPO. Because of the social graphs of different players, it may as well be OPO, because, six degrees and all.

Your suggestion as to how it would work might not be one variation of how to solve this problem. They probably haven't designed how it'll work yet, thus they haven't enabled that mode for us to test yet.

Lonn the Earl likes this.
  3. Net

Net Avatar

I think there will be only one 'leader' of the game like in the party who will invite their friends as other players there. It will be like online Singleplayer, but with friends:)

Gaelis and Lonn the Earl like this.
  4. Devoid

Devoid Avatar

I don't have any friends /frown
    So for me, it may as well be SPO.

Dane and Vyrin like this.
  5. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

You could alway chance it and log multi-player........might meet some new people who enjoy the game as much as you :)

Resurrected likes this.
  6. Mr X

Mr X Avatar

FPO = only your friends that are also set to FPO.

That's the only way it will work.

7. Devoid

Devoid Avatar

So true Duke Invidia! I should have mentioned that I intend to play MPO only. I won't have much time to play on a regular basis, and I have no interest in playing single player mode. In lacking friends, FPO becomes a default SPO, which I won't be playing, hence MPO, LOL!

Duke Invidia (Envy) likes this.
  8. High Baron Asguard

High Baron Asguard Avatar

That still doesn't fix the problem

Say you are my friend and you and I are both in FPO mode.

So are Daveren Rock who is my friend and say Duke Invidia who is your friend, is our party now 4 even though Duke Invidia isn't my friend and Daveren Rock isn't yours? How about there friends? etc etc

The fact that that you are set to FPO could still mean unlimited people you don't know (by 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon as described above) depending how the game handles it

smack likes this.
  9. Arradin

Arradin Avatar

Personally, i do NOT get the point of Friends Only Online....
    Ok, fine, say a couple of years from now, the game is going strong, and i have a pretty huge friend list, but Hexes and scenes only allow a sertain number of people.. Then yes, maybe friends only, Not to risk leaving some people locked into thier own 'instance' ...

But why would i risk not seeing and therefor meeting a new friend?

Oh well.

Duke Invidia (Envy) likes this.
  10. Carlin the Druid Archer

Carlin the Druid Archer Avatar

You probably have to choose s which party u are in for fpo. So it's like spo but with a party. ..maybe.

11. Devoid

Devoid Avatar

Perhaps the devs consider FPO from a different perspective...
    ... Perhaps they view it as MPO excluding everybody on everyone's ignore list! That way it would include the 'six degrees of Kevin Bacon' under the assumption that "The friend of my friend is my friend".
    ...Until somebody puts somebody on their ignore list, then "PUFF" they're gone!

Sent from my Bosch Cordless Screwdriver

Jynx, Keira OFaolain and Mata like this.
  12. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

I think FPO works more like this: You invite some people you want to play with from your friends list and play with them. Their friends won't be visible to you unless they are invited, too which probably everyone currently with you in FPO has to agree with.
    So let's say you have many people on your friends list but you just want to adventure with Hank, Mary and Tom. You invite them and if they accept, the four of you travel together without anyone else visible.

smack likes this.
  13. smack

smack Avatar

FPO is basically CO-OP but with some arbitrary limit yet to be defined. I could see FPO being used for a large group of friends, a large guild, curated events, etc. It's simply a way to control who is in your game, with certain limitations I'm sure.

I hope the FPO player limit is greater than a party of 8!

This sounds logical and can fix some of the 6-degrees problems with FPO. You right-click on anyone in your friends list and invite them into your FPO game (or use some new /invite <name> command).

And again I hope there's no limit on FPO mode except the instance size limit. And I hope the current instance size limit of 64 is more like 256 or higher, even for a town like Braemar. It can easily hold 512 given its size and all the housing, imho. Think of it for POTs, where you want to organize a meeting of all citizens in your town, or an event for all citizens and their families. A Holdfast is nearly the size of Braemar and can have up to 84 lots. A Metropolis can have up to 556 lots.

14. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Yeah that's how I thought it was. Although if you think about it a bit... Even if your friend is also in FPO mode, what if he or she has a friend you do not know. So that could mean that you could see your friend, but not see the other friend he is talking to right next to him.

ALTHOUGH if you only see friends of friends, then you will see the buddy that your friend is talking to. Then enters the problem of your friends, and friends of friends talking to another person you don't see (which would be a friend of a friend of a friend) someone 3x removed.

So no matter how it is done there will always be somebody you do not see, or they make FPO the same thing as Open Multiplayer Online.

15. Mata

Mata Avatar

LOL :D

Devoid and Keira OFaolain like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.