Ah well just a litle Rant

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Weins201, Nov 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Heavy Smoker

Heavy Smoker Avatar

5 Million budget I agree, but if he can spend 30 million to go to space for a few days, he can invest a little bit of his own money in a project that he believes in, and should be able to make his money back and then a lot more where that came from. This game has potential to be amazing.

Lord Spaz likes this.
  2. Lord Spaz

Lord Spaz Avatar

OMG the robes!!!! bring back those robes!!!!!

Moonshadow likes this.
  3. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

He already has spent his own money. He said millions if I recall properly. Here's the deal, rich people don't stay rich people if they throw their money down the drain on pet projects. You set a a limit on what you are willing to "invest" before you start the company. If thing's don't go well, the WORST thing to do is throw more money at it.

So he went the Kickstarter route. Maybe he got what he was hoping, but I think he was really hoping for more since Star Citizen seemed to skyrocket. Well, now he didn't get Star Citizen cash... throw more of your own money into it??? Maybe. However they seem to be getting by with crowd funding. If I were Richard I wouldn't throw more of my cash at SotA at this point. SotA looks like it is on the road to success. Would more money help? Yes. However if the money comes from Richard then he is cutting into his own profits for the sake of a company that has multiple owners.

Keep in mind if Richard throws money at sota and the other owners do not he is sort of just giving money to the other stock holders too. That just doesn't make any business sense. So from a business perspective I don't have a problem with Lord British doing what he has done.

Net, Gaelis and Duke Raas like this.
  4. Biblik

Biblik Avatar

**Shotguns a natty light**

Hey guys, I know I spent a s*** load of money going to space but I just had the idea after drinking that beer that I should put all my money I have made over my lifetime into a game I just thought up. What do you guys think?

**Friend shot guns the next beer**

Yeah hahah f*** it let's do it!

Isaiah [MGT] likes this.
  5. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Exactly. Sorry kids there's no inheritance left. I spent it all on me. Muhuhuhuhahahaha

6. Lord Spaz

Lord Spaz Avatar

yeah even if he has so much money he couldnt even spend it all it would be silly to invest millions in such a project after all its still a business if he added a bit out his own pocket he just did it out of love

Gaelis likes this.
  7. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I don't know how much he has to be honest. However wealth can disappear as fast as it came. If you spend it on stuff instead of diversifying and investing, then if an economic crisis happens, then a once cush life can turn into anxiously trying to find a way to survive. So it's not that SotA will fail on its path, but if some unforseen event happens ... well like the saying goes, "Don't put all of your eggs in one basket".

Keep in mind if he hasn't invested all of his money in SotA he has to invest it elsewhere. It isn't like he has cash stacked up in his house. If he does he could lose his fortune to a fire.

8. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

losing experience doing something you are experienced at should just be zero sum. going backwards makes no sense to me.

9. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

this thread had been of topic twice for two pages.

are we done talking about experience gain from over famed mobs? i.e. repeatative actions yielding the same results even when you are a post expert in that area e.g. killing 800 bears?

10. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

The mechanism used for blocking other players is on topic wouldn't you say? That was the OP's solution to his problem.

11. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

And so then as to the other point: What does RG contribution to SOTA have to do with either topic? Or are those still tangential to the OP as well?

Gaelis likes this.
  12. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

Greetings Avatars! Time to stop arguing about minutia if you want continue discussing this topic.

Please stay on topic and follow the forum rules. :)

Isaiah [MGT] likes this.
  13. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Oh Yeah huh. That sort of got away from us there didn't it. However interpersonal relationships (including difficult ones) are necessary to prove one's virtue.

That seems like a natural result of strictly observing a moral code (like the virtues or any other code of righteousness). Self-righteousness, self-loathing, and judgment of others are natural results of living under a legalistic code. Wasn't our fault it was our humanity (ultimately we are doomed to failure because nobody is perfect).

So the failures of our humanity (going off topic here because judgment resulted from discussing a moral code) should be used as a case study for the virtues in general!!!

Therefore it is important not to just quickly block opponents just because they steal some XP. That same judgment could be pointed at you eventually. The block mechanic should force us to choose carefully who to block to force us into resolving interpersonal conflicts rather than avoiding them, because we all get annoyed from time to time.

14. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Then again there is a technique of avoidance that can be used in conflict resolution, but it isn't good for the majority of situations. It is also not a complete ignore. We must learn to coexist.

15. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

I didn't meant to imply you lost experience for killing - just that the amount of experience you gained when killing the same thing was reduced.

So maybe when you killed a bunny you got 20 experience, but when you have 50 bunny kills as your most recent log you gain only 2 experience.

I believe the same mud might have given you a %bonus to damage as your kill log reflected that type of monster.

That same mud also applied a level differential... killing monsters far above your level would not grant the full value of that monster (power-leveling services suffer) and killing monsters far below your level would reduce the experience right down to 0 xp.

Basically power-leveling and botting took a hit when they implemented the above systems.

I'm not advocating any of this, or even saying a solution is needed, just sharing what I have seen (and it worked in the muds I played).

Spoon and Joviex like this.
  16. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

Yeah, diminishing to the point of zero, returns works well in LotRO as well. It doesn't "force" farmers to move onwards, since they can farm hides and whatnot all day long, however, it does not reward them experience for doing so either.

It is very much like reality in that respect: You get tons of experience for your first few attempts, but over time, you have all you know.

What I would like to see is a game that implements that same mechanic on the "action" level, not just the character sheet i.e. global level.

If you continuously attack bears from level 1-10, sure it may scale back the XP gain by level 10, but really it should be scaling it by the XTH bear you have killed.

Once you kill 30 some odd bears, you probably know the best way to take down a bear; diminishing returns should kick in THEN, not at level XYZ.

Effectively that would work across groupings. Ice Bears might be different than Black Bears, but they are still Bears. If it could tweak down to the subspecies level, that I killed Black Bears all day long, then met an Ice Bear and learned that Fire spells dispatch them quicker, then tracking that new nuance would re-gain me some experience in "Ice Bear" + "Bear" killing once again, though minor, as it is only a new minor skill use on a specific species.

Nothing precludes that idea beyond saving data, and checking data. Most assuredly they already collect kills, easily add "type of mob" and they probably track mob deaths just need to add "by whom". That can be aggregated extremely easily to "scale" the XP gain per action, mob, discovery....

17. Heavy Smoker

Heavy Smoker Avatar

Woops, didn't read mods post. Deleted.

18. Xenar

Xenar Avatar

Hmm, seems to me if you want to grind exp, gold, or harvest materials unmolested, that you just do that in single player mode. Leave the Multiplayer for social.

19. Aegis159

Aegis159 Avatar

Wait, hold on, not everyone is out for the "exp"....

I admit that I haven't read this entire thread so excuse me if this has been said already.
    If I see someone in battle, they're in the thick of it and the match is looking like it's going to be a losing one for the fellow player or if they're getting double teamed by the mobs then I jump into it to help them out. I'm not looking for the exp, I'm playing as my character, someone who wouldn't let someone die needlessly if I could help. A lot of the time there's not even time to ask if they need help considering how damage can fluctuate so wildly from mobs.

To be honest I actually hadn't even paid attention to when and how one gets experience from killing the mobs. I had thought that it was anyone who struck the mob got some credit, what ever ratio the devs had set it to. So you're saying that it's whomever gets the killing blow?? Yea that needs to change, otherwise I'm sure I'm going to end up on a lot of other's blocked players lists....

Moonshadow likes this.
  20. Numa

Numa Avatar

I think how the block list is used should be left to the decision of the individual player. I strongly dislike game mechanics that "force" me to socialize with people or players I don't like. There's enough of that happening in RL, this is supposed to be a haven from that.

Joviex likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.