(poll) Combat Deck System [UNOFFICIAL]

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Brass Knuckles, Nov 28, 2014.

?

Tradition skill tree vs Deck system

1. 1. I like the concept of the deck system and want to see it threw.

57.5%
  2. 2. I like traditional skill trees /w skill point and static buttons

42.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sir Seir

Sir Seir Avatar

We are reaching for a very fine balance to satisfy all play styles and this in itself is a difficult task. They will continue to balance things and I'm guessing the interface will eventually change (or optionally change) to move the skills up into the HUD instead of down low in an 0ld-school toolbar.

Devs are smart guys, it's just that there are 1000 other things they are attacking at once...

Lord Stein and Duke Raas like this.
  2. Town-Portal

Town-Portal Avatar

I don't like this poll, i dont like skill trees, nor do i enjoy this deck system much.
    I prefer the UO way, access to everything, and level up said skill by using it.

3. Fox Cunning

Fox Cunning Localization Team

Oh, how I hate binary choices...

I like the idea of the deck system, but at the same time I don't like the skill trees and the whole XP/levels thing. I'd like the deck-based combat to be more simple and the skills to go up as you use them.
    Maybe have trainers teach you new things, i.e. add a glyph that you didn't have before, then add more points there as you use it.

Joviex, Shade Cido and Heavy Smoker like this.
  4. Akrondar

Akrondar Avatar

I think that it is important for this discussion to clarify that deck system is not necessarily tied with the skill tree/points system.

The deck system can perfectly exist with a skill system where you gain skill on use. When you gain a certain % of skill (ala UO), you should be able to unlock some glyphs automatically or train them from a NPC (through quests).

So, for further discussion i propose to separate those two different topics: Deck system and skill gain system.

dorkish and Sir Cabirus like this.
  5. Aetrion

Aetrion Avatar

I think this isn't a very good poll, because it turns the entire thing into an "Either/or" question. I think the system is at its best when you're using a combination of fixed glyphs and the deck system, but it's the combination of the two that I feel needs to be refined. I don't like that you have to use up your hand for fixed glyphs if they already get heavily penalized with cooldowns and cost increases.

6. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

**I Like the concept of the deck and want to see it through!**
    I too like the idea of the deck system. The idea of risk and not knowing what to expect is exciting to me. How many times have we all played games where we are numbed by the experience of knowing, and while it is not always numbing since other factors play in it can be that way?

For example you face a PVP match and if you know the skills, you may know for example if playing a mage verses a warrior,you may know the moves that possibly will happen next and can try to counter them. In the deck system, neither of you will know, it is about surprises, well even to you a bit. ;);)

If you set up your deck to have what you need in it then those spells will come up. I haven't even had much issues with slugs, I just right click them and they go away, same with fizzles. So for example if I'm the warrior and I get to knock you down yaaay, and then if you're the mage and you get imolate me, surprise surprise, then what?

Oh well to me it is fun. I also lock a couple of things. The penalty for all locked is debatable because there is the aspect of locked/no surpise and unlocked/surprise. The person willing to be surprised and excited by the combat could suffer, but perhaps not if his/her deck is set up in a surpising way. lol .

I do not believe food, buffs, and consumables belong in a deck, no way. Ok well just a thought I had as a person who likes the deck system. I would love to see it more beautiful and dynamic and alive though.

The sound effects will make a huge difference to how it feels also. **cheers**

7. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I'm not sure how you can be at a disadvantage in PVP with other players when using the deck system. Everyone will be using the deck system and will have the same issues you have.

Sir Cabirus and Moonshadow like this.
  8. Montaigne

Montaigne Avatar

I stopped reading after you used the word retarded.

9. Sophi

Sophi Avatar

Ok i feel its important to defend myself here:

HeavySmoker, if you consider getting ripped off by the person who split up the challenge loot as an example of me 'not getting my way' then true, you're absolutely right - I did not get my way. My way would have been honesty, and an even and fair distribution of loot to all the party members. And to say it's not your fault is just a bit disingenuous isn't it? Since those of us who were there know exactly what happened.

My apologies to the community for airing this little bit of interpersonal icki-ness.
    Hope everyone has a great day!

FrostII, Lord Lew, Lord Beli and 4 others like this.
  10. Heavy Smoker

Heavy Smoker Avatar

Everyone keep trying to bash me instead of focus on what this thread is about because you have no valid opinions on why you think the current system is a good thing. Exactly what I wanted, I'm not here to make friends or make people happy. I'm here to play the game and compete I want this game to be the best it can be, whoever gets in the way too bad. I spent my share on this game to have my own opinion, deal with it.

Walkerhart likes this.
  11. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I haven't seen any of your opinions I agree with, I do know your delivery of said of opinions doesn't help.

12. Heavy Smoker

Heavy Smoker Avatar

Players shouldn't be punished for using a locked deck, end of story. Go fight your spiders and leave the thread alone.

13. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

Making personal generalizations about groups of players and personal attacks won't change the design of the game.

14. Sebastion

Sebastion Avatar

I have only used the locked deck and have not even tried the deck thing.

So cant really comment on if I like it or not.

As for thinking I am being punished for using a locked deck....... Not at all. I dont even know what the wait times are on the other one since it is not what I am using.

With the locked deck I get what I want with no surprises. I can fight without worrying about what button does what and just glance at cooldowns.

Heavy Smoker and Keira OFaolain like this.
  15. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Good points on locked deck, but what you don't get are all the cool combos cross skill lines etc. And you pay 2x more for each ability, and for me when playing locked (I've done them both) I don't get the feeling I'm specializing since dumping more than 1 point in each skill is not advantageous. I do have alot of extra skill points that I can dump into passive though so there is that. It's really noticeable once you hit 30.

licemeat and Heavy Smoker like this.
  16. Sebastion

Sebastion Avatar

Yup... I dont spend points in the deck stuff really and put those points elsewhere instead.

I first thought there was no reason to put more points in stuff that only says you get more glyphs. But I have read that locked decks may get shorter timers if they have more in the skill. But not sure about this.

17. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

It is my understanding that buying a glyph multiple times with a locked bar, it reduces focus cost to use that skill.

18. Sebastion

Sebastion Avatar

Ah! That makes sense. Thanks!

19. dorkish

dorkish Avatar

finaly got to play around with the deck system a bit used the autodeck does make it more interesting though it would make lot more sence if you had multiple alts it's always a pain trying to rember all the key presses for a dz chars

Keira OFaolain likes this.
  20. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

i like them both. the hybrid static/throw deck is awesome.

Sir Cabirus and enderandrew like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.