Thinking of starting a Guild/Player run metropolis or city anyone ....

Discussion in 'Housing & Lots' started by Gregoire Visaard, Dec 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gregoire Visaard

Gregoire Visaard Avatar

Played UO for many years. Had 34 accounts at one time during the Malas expansion. All in an effort to create a player run town for our guild (GTH Sonoma). Ended up being a big mess and cost a lot of money. After a year or so went to WOW for a couple of years then quit playing all games. I have been sitting on the fence for over two years wondering if my gaming days are over with. Nothing seems groundbreaking or exciting anymore.

Until a friend hipped me to SotA! This has me feeling like I havn.t felt in a very long time. Would love to get fully involved again. Build a guild and have some fun. Idea of a guild town or at least a player run town sounds awesome. But I have no friends or guild mates to play with anymore. I am 50 plus years old and prefer guild with people who know how to treat others with respect and have a lot of fun along the way.
    I am willing to bankroll most of the start up cost if need be, and don't need to be the big cheese. Just want to have fun playing again. If interested or have some ideas drop me a reply or ICQ at 696366370

mbomber, Fox Cunning, Deity and 6 others like this.
  2. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

Welcome to the community!

I maintain a guild list here. If you get one going, I'll gladly add it to my list. Or you can join an existing guild.

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/updated-guild-list.7254/
    In the recent streamathon they said they've already got 80 Player Owned Towns and they may cut that off soon as they hit a limit. So you may need to gather money and get in on that quickly, or perhaps join up with an existing player owned town.

3. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

I have just started along a similar path. If you don't end up joining one of the larger groups i would love to have a chat and hear what you have in mind. I am going with a holdfast for now but i believe people will be able to connect their PoT's with other peoples PoT's to former larger holdings (i could be wrong about that). There is a few metropolis already signed and paid for by other groups though, which may better suit your needs. Either way, welcome ^.^

mbomber, Time Lord and enderandrew like this.
  4. Gregoire Visaard

Gregoire Visaard Avatar

I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on what type of lot combo's would be best. Myself being a bit extreme in most things I try to do. I was thinking of either having a metropolis with as many small lots as possible to increase player traffic and possible shop/vendor counts kinda make it a retail mecca! Other thought is to just go with as many large plots as possible with no small lots?

mbomber likes this.
  5. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

I think the most sought after plot size (amount of people buying) will be the village plots, with high level backers looking for town and city plots for their backer reward deeds. I also think a decent number of row houses would be a good idea to house those that just want a home for item storage.

6. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

With something that size, I think a mix would be best. That way there are lots for differing deed types and people who upgrade can still stay there provided the space exists.

studbuzzar2 likes this.
  7. monxter

monxter Avatar

mbomber, studbuzzar2 and enderandrew like this.
  8. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

9. monxter

monxter Avatar

10. Gregoire Visaard

Gregoire Visaard Avatar

I have been looking at some post on this forum. Looks like this is going to be a good size project setting up and running a metropolis! I can't do it by myself and I am behind in the learning curve. So I am thinking of moving this topic to the player run town forum ( whoever moved it thanks)or some other in order to attract some more interest and begin to get some sort of a plan/team togeather. Any ideas?
    The Plax metropolis seems to be long established and well run. It is kind of intimidating. But the chance to do something unique and leave a mark on a game does not come by often. Anyone who has some ideas or experience with running a player town (PT) concepts now is a good time to share them.
    Can I buy the town and then develop it as time goes on?
    Wonder how many people we need to get involved in this?
    Can we keep it simple or do we let our creative juices flow!
    Or do we have to have it pretty much set up by what ever date SotA team requires?
    Are there any of you out there that might be interested in helping with the project and filling some rolls within the town?
    Seems having so me experienced hands on board might be a good idea but not required.
    Any thoughts?

mbomber and Jatvardur like this.
  11. Gregoire Visaard

Gregoire Visaard Avatar

Thanks for your replies Monxter, Themo Lock, Tahru. I went ahead and made the purchase/investment today. Now I need to begin the process building a Metropolis!

Themo Lock, Fox Cunning and monxter like this.
  12. monxter

monxter Avatar

13. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

I started my thread with my design principles. It is pretty much the highest placed piece of information. Along with the title of my thread, I think the principles give players an idea of what I'm trying to do. I've made tweaks along the way, but I'd say I've been consistent. I recommend that for any other town leader too. Drocis has something similar for Penshire.

I came up with my principles by thinking about how I want to play the game. I started with the type of things I'm most likely to do / most likely to enjoy and built up from there. I tend to enjoy gathering and trading in other MMOs, and also a bit of crafting (obviously my focus depends on the game I'm playing and how well they implement the mechanics). Therefore, I feel much more motivated to build something that I enjoy / I am passionate about. If you hate PvP then you probably aren't going to be that motivated to create a great PvP town.

Does this mean that my town is only open to crafters / gatherers / merchants? No, absolutely not. Unlike a PvP town, you have the option to craft or just simply kick back. In a PvP town you will be flagged for PvP all the time (as I understand it). My thinking on playing styles is that I don't want to restrict a player's choice, but I do want to promote a particular style of play. These ideas are not in conflict with each other. Some towns want to focus on RP, so they have the restriction that you should RP (I don't know how strict requirement is, btw). Again, that isn't my intention. It is my opinion that I can build a stronger trading town by allowing any and all styles of play: both in terms of residents and in terms of visitors. Towns which place restrictions are more likely to demotivate certain players from visiting. That demotivation isn't necessarily due to 'bad' intentions but rather because they want to protect a particular style of playing : e.g. RP immersion. It is worth considering how do you want to attract and keep players in your town: both as residents and as visitors.

What type of towns do you want to buddy up with? Do you want to form diplomatic relations with other towns and have 'embassies'?

This is my rough understanding of each of these towns. I could be incorrect in some of my statements, so it is worth contacting these towns for further clarity. You can also go it alone. Really depends what your goals are and how much interaction you want with other towns and players. My guess is that as a town owner then you want to have a lot of interaction, since owning a town requires you to be quite social (imo).

14. David J Thompson

David J Thompson Avatar

you sound like me - lol im just 44 though and am thinking that SOTA and Star Citizen will be my last games so im investing heavily and plan to play for years...

monxter and Tahru like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.