Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

card system: who likes it?

Discussion in 'Release 12 Feedback' started by ThurisazSheol, Dec 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

i see all these posts where people just absolutely hate the card system. but not many posts about people liking it. i'd like to dedicate a thread to people who LIKE it..

i for one, like it. it sort of reminds me of playing magic the gathering. i find it very fun with my play style. it works very well for me. i like the randomness it lends to gameplay, keeping it interesting and replayable.

does anyone else like it, or am i honestly the only one?

steanne, Gaelis, Caradin and 2 others like this.
  2. Sir Seir

Sir Seir Avatar

I like the flexibility but what I'm seeing is so far there's not much application for that flexibility so my enthusiasm is waning a bit. Still enjoy the concept but don't really like the interface (either building or using)

Joviex and ThurisazSheol like this.
  3. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

It's better than the standard WoW combat system but I would have prefered an active combat system like in Skyrim.

Kaisa, Joviex and ThurisazSheol like this.
  4. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

I won't leave ya hangin' .

I have stated in the past I prefer the random draw system over the locked deck, and I'll state it again : I like the random draw system.

Namely, I enjoy the responsiveness of the random draw. Having to wait for the cooldown in the locked deck is *so* painful and boring.

And I will agree with you that the randomness does keep the battles fresh and exciting. :)

Senash Kasigal and ThurisazSheol like this.
  5. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I like the card deck system, it offers additional challenges that most games don't have.

I don't like the implementation of the combat skills though. All of the skills (including what we've seen of the design) are focused on DPS or the reduction of DPS. This results in "best builds" being the prime reason people win or lose in pvp. The combat system needs blocking and counter moves to shift success to become a byproduct of SKILL and not BUILD.

KuBaTRiZeS, Sebastion, Kaisa and 3 others like this.
  6. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

i'd agree that it does need work - deck, combat skills, deck modification ui...all. but the potential for something awesome is very high, in this. its why since i figured it out a week after r12 started, i've been practically begging DEV to at least finish it and keep it as an option for us to use if we wish.

i wish there'd be some sort of toggle to auto-switch decks.. i'm using my alternate for my town wear instead of my armor.. i'd love to auto-switch to town wear once i go into a non-pvp town.

i'd LIKE to have that system (outfits) seperated from the deck system, while keeping the ability to "use outfit B" - and bringing in a deck for non-combat use, be above the automatic deck, that you can specialize your skill bar with items and spells/skills, etc for roleplay use.

7. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

I love that the developers are thinking outside the box!

I love that I am finally getting a different kind of MMO than I have tried before!

While the verdict is still out, I do like the new card system based on my first impression after finally trying the auto deck. The locked deck was simpler, but I was really confused why I could not put any spell I want. I was also confused why the "light spell" is in the auto deck. Still learning...

However, i do think the player setup should to be more intuitive. It is actually a bit complex and under explained. It is a real art form to take a complicated idea and make it trivial. It can be done though and we are still very early in development.

Gaelis and ThurisazSheol like this.
  8. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

Something I have noticed myself doing with the random draw system, and this may stem from inexperience, is when I run up against a situation in which I was slightly overmatched/challenged, where I would have just stood my ground and duked through a couple of cooldowns to see how it played out, with this system, I either find myself immediately running (if I am seriously outmatched and/or surprised), or kiting and auto-hitting with the occasional ability tossed in as I make another pass, rather than trying for a stacked ability.

What I find myself doing more often, is staying just out of aggro range, entering combat mode, and "stacking the deck" in my favor, building up to a couple of 4x/5x stacks if I can keep them up long enough.

Aside from that, liking it a lot actually.

ThurisazSheol likes this.
  9. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I like it.

10. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

I'd like to see it when you swing that axe or cast that auto-attack is when the deck starts drawing. may fix this issue altogether..

then again, what is a rpg gamers strongest weapon? preparation...

while i like the preparation it could potentially be used for, i do somewhat find it an exploit of sorts and would like to see it go away.. almost on the fence on this one.. but more on the side of NOT having that available as an easy button.

11. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

It isn't really an easy button. True, it gives you small benefits by preparing this way, but it can easily go south if an unexpected spawn happens upon you. IF you have the time to prepare, you can "analyze" the situation (stack your deck) and prepare the best way possible given the time, situation and variables. At this stage, I believe it perfectly reflects what they were aiming for with the glyph system.

12. Jynx

Jynx Avatar

I like the current glyph system. One change I would love to see some time in the near future is to have the glyphs "floating" in the centre of the screen.

Duke Raas likes this.
  13. Jordizzle

Jordizzle Avatar

I absolutely loathed the idea of it at first. I wanted an Ultima Online style skill base system with only a certain number of weapon specific abilities. Once I started using it, and learned how to customize a deck and learned how to use points in focus to unlock more slots, as well make the cards stay on screen longer, I started warming up to it. Now that I've realized I can stack cards to make the ability more powerful, as well as combine them to make combo moves, I gotta say that I actually quite enjoy it. There needs to be an in game tutorial to remove a lot of the unknowns about it, but honestly I like it now.

14. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Don't get me wrong... I believe a combination of the use-based skill system and this skill tree could make for a FANTASTIC combination!

But the topic asks about the glyph system, so glyphs it is ;)

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  15. 4EverLost

4EverLost Avatar

I like it for the fact that I can't just keep pressing one key to win a battle. Makes it more interesting. Like you should think about what kind of skills will work together or not. And it's kind of like driving a car. At first, all you might do is look at the road while gripping the wheel(you're only looking at your hotbar). Pretty soon, you'll get used to it and be driving one handed with your coffee in the other and putting on make-up with the other when you can free it (or shaving your morning grizzles? :p). So you can take a quick glance at the hotbar, look around for the other enemies, see if you have some run away space, can you circle around, etc.

Although I do wish they'd make the combos a little easier to see - maybe a separate bar for them when they pop up or make it flasher. My eyes just ain't what they use to be - trying to see a little green thing around the glyphs or remembering all the cards to combo <memory problems which can't be blamed on aging.

randomonium and Gaelis like this.
  16. Akrondar

Akrondar Avatar

i like it

17. Duke William of Serenite

Duke William of Serenite Avatar

I like it. I dont like slugs, someone explain their purpose?

randomonium likes this.
  18. Jordizzle

Jordizzle Avatar

Boo to the slugs! It's more or less a balancing type thing I think. I know in Ultima Online they had it where if you had plate metal armor on you wouldn't be able to meditate to regain mana as well, or you would take a dexterity loss. Here when you have plate armor you get more slugs making you slower at getting your abilities off. That's my understanding of it . . please feel free anyone if you can explain it better than I can!

randomonium and Sebastion like this.
  19. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

The ones occurring naturally... I would think of as moments when you aren't able to come up with an alternative given the situation.
    The ones due to armor being worn... I would think of as moments where you really WANT to do something, but this damned (insert armor piece here) is in the way!

Sebastion likes this.
  20. Sebastion

Sebastion Avatar

This is the way I understand it as well. A negative trade off.

Cant comment on this really though as I have yet to even dare try the card system. :oops:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.