Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

With every release I despise player housing more and more

Discussion in 'Release 13 Feedback' started by Lord_Darkmoon, Dec 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Not if those player houses are visible in single player online mode. If people want to have the atmosphere then people will basically be forced to play offline and then single player online cannot be the "preferred mode" anymore like Garriott suggested.

This would actually make the offline mode much more important as this would be the mode those gamers will play in who prefer a good and coherent atmosphere and immersion in the game.

2. Gubbles

Gubbles Avatar

KuBaTRiZeS, just to warn you ahead of time I go off on a tangent in this reply that's not directed towards your comment :)

I'm afraid this is also my doing as well! I am popular today :) While the roof busting decorations bug hasn't yet been fixed (linked by me earlier in this thread), the floating decorations bug that you're pointing out has been fixed:

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...he-z-axis-and-can-be-placed-in-mid-air.18094/

I think people are losing sight of the fact both of these occurrences of hideous decoration placement were done to help find bugs. This is pre-release after all. The screenshot shown by OP is the result of a placement bug, and should absolutely be fixed. Beyond that, like you and I have both said in this thread, I think some semi-realistic physics simulation could be used to define the rules of placement.

Beyond that, I am against any kind of global HOA style requirements on how lawns should look. I'm against it from a social point of view, and also a practical point of view. Portalarium has better things to do than police the world for HOA violations. Any kind of restrictions should be built into how complex the decoration placement system is. My ideal here is to use physics as that rules engine.

3. Sebastion

Sebastion Avatar

Yes.. People looking for atmosphere over all else will probably be best off in offline single mode.

4. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Once again, I at least, know it was done for testing.

I'm also not looking for an HOA style, just common attributes for furniture/items that restricts unrealistic behaviour such as stacking fountains etc....I don't care if your lawn is a mess.

5. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I don't think it will be that bad as long as items actually have attributes for their placement.

Time Lord likes this.
  6. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Which would be unfortunately for people that want to roleplay. Roleplaying not really being something you can do by yourself. It's like when you play solitaire, yes that's a card game. But is it really a game of competition? I would argue it only becomes that way once you introduce other people also playing solitaire and you can compare results and times. My point is that roleplaying requires multiple people...so if your own way to have an enjoyable atmosphere is by yourself, the impact is that you're making a trade that is unacceptable in a roleplaying game.

Time Lord likes this.
  7. Drocis the Devious

Right...there are people with no taste everywhere in the world. That supports immerssion, in my opinion.

But when people start stacking multiple floors on top of a thin single stone column, it's not just a question of WHY? it's a questions of HOW? That's immerssion breaking.

8. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

That's why there should be rules on requirements to stack....UO even had this.

It's not me trying to be a jerk and stop people from making a neat yard...it's me trying to ensure that there are common rules associated with items....stuff that is normally there anyways.

9. Drocis the Devious

I totally agree with that.

Time Lord and Sir Cabirus like this.
  10. Sebastion

Sebastion Avatar

The roleplay option with multiple people is still there. It is just that when you choose to play with other people then you will also have to accept that other people may play different than you.

Edit :All that said.. I am not against some rules for things if they truly break the game.

Sophi and Time Lord like this.
  11. Drocis the Devious

Yes, absolutely. Styles of play will differ and that's very healthy for the game. But there has to be limits. You don't show up to a baseball game with bowling shoes, a hockey mask, and a polo racket. There are rules to games that have to be enforced. In this case, we're still in the process of making the rules to Shroud of the Avatar.

Time Lord, Sir Cabirus and Sebastion like this.
  12. redfish

redfish Avatar

I personally don't see some of the stuff going on with lawns that immersive either.

I mean, if I were to walk down a street in the real world, you generally wouldn't find that, and not just because of HOAs telling people what to do.

Most people wouldn't put their things on their lawn for a lot of reasons. First, they'd be afraid someone would steal them. No burglary in the game. Second, a lot of items would be destroyed by weather. Wood would rot, metal would rust, cloth would get muddy. All of these things are going to stay out in the game even when there's rain in the scene. Cups and bowls on outdoor tables are not going to fill up with rainwater like you would expect when its raining, or with snow when its snowing. Nothing is going to get blown off the tables or off the lawn. There's going to be a break in realism when we see weather implemented in the game.

We know food will rot and decay and disappear, so that won't be an issue, though.

Time Lord likes this.
  13. Drocis the Devious

You mean my plans to create a 20 story outdoor library is going to break immerssion? :)

Time Lord likes this.
  14. Gubbles

Gubbles Avatar

Perhaps we need a new chemical engineering crafting tree to make water proof paper made from composite plastic materials. Praise god, immersion saved.

Time Lord likes this.
  15. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I fear for this game if the limitations are set up. And why compare this game to real life, oh my it is is not real life. I'm sorry that some of you can't go down the street and feel the aliveness of the community, and say wow it is a miracle, and perhaps think hey they are having a great time here. If you want the HOA and your real life consider staying in your real life. This is a game not to be confused with real life. We need this game to allow for differences in how people want to play the game, the more options the better. When you play an online game there are many personalities, and isn't that wonderful, as we have seen so far? This game is becoming very alive thru the community, and thru people experimenting and testing the limits of what can and can't be done. I took some pictures of the house with the floors and chess pieces built up truly amazing job, is it Tarsins, and thought how very cool and amazing it was that he was able to do that. This is what I have been hoping for in a game, well one part that is, so hopefully the Dev team will not listen to restricting the creativity and aliveness of this community and it's players to come. And come they will for this. I have a friend who will not come if this doesn't happen, and he is a backer who has stayed away due to the limitations of the development stage we were in. I am proud of this game and for what it stands for. Richard started out with the dream, as he states that every item that can be interactive will be interactive, and yet we get the plea to take that away, hopefully he will not cave on that for anyone. Hopefully he will follow his dream. It should not look like our HOAs in Real Life. In real life I like to live around junk free, beautiful yards with flowers and neat plants as much as anyone, but not here, it's not the same thing, some will have that kind of yard, others may not. So I say to the serious people trying to stifle the game and players, don't take it so seriously, lighten up, it is a game, take your disapproval and restrictions into real life, and come out and play. :)

Sophi, Jatvardur, Time Lord and 3 others like this.
  16. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I think you have turned this a bit personal by saying people asking for stacking rules want to stifle creativity and trying to take away options....when that is any thing but the case. There are problems with the current system...it allows to much leeway in what can be created in the fact that multiple fountains(my goto example) stacked on top of each other doesn't add anything at all. You state Richard garriet stated it would be interactive, and all his other games were but also had rules on how they could be stacked (see uo).

Please don't try and label us as serious and disaproval when I think most have been pretty clear it isn't the messy yards and stuff that are the issue...it is the bizzare stacking of things to make a platform in the sky that would have no business being there. Easily fixed if you add gravity to items or simple physics(ultima 7 even had limits to what could be stacked)

Stating HOA again when no one has asked for that is simply not what anyone is saying.

Another thing many don't take into consideration is if you can make these massive structures in your yard, what does your neighbor think if his yard is in perpetual shadow due to the light source being blocked? Or, you can't even see his house when walking down the street since his neighbor made a wall of cabinets totally obscuring the view past his lot....then stuck his vendor out.

This has taken on a personal tone that it isn't really about.

Time Lord, Sir Cabirus and majoria70 like this.
  17. Drocis the Devious

And I say that the next time I hear you say that you think female characters should be one way or another I'll just post this reply to everything you feel strongly about. Sound fair?

Please stop being so dismissive. I personally didn't think there was anything wrong with the female character artwork but you won't find me telling people "it's just a game" anywhere on these forums.

Time Lord, Sir Cabirus and Caliya like this.
  18. Gubbles

Gubbles Avatar

It's unfortunate that the vehicle for this thread is a screenshot of a bug where items are allowed to be placed through the ceiling of a house. It makes for a rather extreme case that was never intended to be apart of the game, and it's escalating the discussion to extremes as well. Introducing more realistic/natural decoration placement based on physics is a welcome feature. But, demanding style requirements globally in the name of immersion is not a feature I want to see.

19. redfish

redfish Avatar

Tarsin,

Nobody is doing that.

20. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

@Drocis Fondorlatos well I do wish for everyone to have what they want. I am not dismissive of your thoughts. I want you to have the magery and reagents in this game exactly as you see it. I totally appreciate your point of view. I want everyone to have everything in this game the way they want it, but that comes at a cost since to accomplish that we have the more is better system and so somethings won't be exactly as we all want. Richard doesn't want to stifle us. The female character is perfect now, well after her touch ups, but I love her, and I was not the only one saying that. Portalarium was getting flack from other sources in regards to the ugly female characters they have. Chris mentioned that in one of the update posts that they saw the need to mprove them. I don't have any pull, I know it wasn't me mostly. I am glad you are debating this topic, I know I am not always right about things, many things I see don't always turn out, I just post the thoughts I have as you do. You post very strongly towards things and I understand the passion you have on them, it would be totally cool if they made magery something so unique and special, it would benefit us all to have that unique and wonderful playing aspect. You say I am dismissive, well if the female character wouldn't have been upgraded or fixed I would still have played this game, it was a debate I was passionate about. If you hear my point of view as dismissive then it did not come accross the way I wanted, and for that I always sincerely apologize to you and others. I care about this community and our love of the game. I feel it is important to this game to have it be special and not cookie cutter to any other game, I just caution to doing that. We have a low budget and we can have very awesome things, some peoples whole thing is building and architectural endeavors. I wish for them to have what they want also. So carry on as always and help to create us a wonderful game.;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.