Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

With every release I despise player housing more and more

Discussion in 'Release 13 Feedback' started by Lord_Darkmoon, Dec 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gubbles

Gubbles Avatar

This is contradictory. What you discuss in the second paragraph is exactly the kind of thing HOAs and town ordinances enforce.

Time Lord likes this.
  2. Gubbles

Gubbles Avatar

Disagree with you on this, but it is a matter of interpretation of style I suppose. Also I should have clarified that point; I meant this more in a general sense as variations of this topic is being discussed in other threads too.

Time Lord likes this.
  3. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

This is funny a little, because yesterday i read another post by a member who owns a POT and was wondering whether to design the town for usability or his creativity. That is on a whole new scale :)

Jatvardur and Time Lord like this.
  4. redfish

redfish Avatar

rune didn't say he wanted to get rid of wizard's towers, which have the exact same effect. I've seen some houses that had a wizard's tower hang over them.

And you didn't really ever address his point anyway, which is that this does effect other people in the game. Its just like the open PvP / full loot debate. Sometimes people who support all of that will tell people who don't like it it that it's just a game and people shouldn't be so uptight. Those debates can end up also being about people who like freedom, versus people who want to restrict everyone's freedom.

Time Lord likes this.
  5. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Sure....but I think you are stretching it a bit....realistic constructs would be covered under a HOA, which I'm not aiming for....I'm talking crazy skyscrapers that should be controlled by game mechanics....

Seeing a game this early in development means you get to see the game as a more free flowing zero rules thing, which works as a test but not so much in practical sense.

Note: Edited for clarity.

Time Lord and Sir Cabirus like this.
  6. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Weight.

Give items placed into a zone, and stacked, a weight. This will prevent excessive stacking. The devs can control the weight too allow some stacking but keep it under control.

7. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Pretty much what I have been saying:)

Time Lord likes this.
  8. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

Ugly is subjective, I grant you, but it sure as hell dont help my framerates.

Especially when a few people around you did the exact same thing.

9. Ashlynn [Pax]

Ashlynn [Pax] Avatar

The people lobbying the developers for rules should be careful what they wish for because such constraints usually end up being overly restrictive and kill a lot of the more interesting and creative things you can do with the housing system. You would not just be getting rid of the ugly stuff, you would be eliminating things at both ends of the spectrum and making everything a little more bland.

While I do think the (extreme) example in the OP looks ridiculous and doesn't do anything for the atmosphere in game, I definitely don't want to see things being restricted.

10. Gubbles

Gubbles Avatar

I did address his point, in that response and other responses in this thread. We're not talking about PVP or wizard towers. One solution I advocate for is the introduction of a semi-realistic physics engine used for placement. I recommended earlier that maybe having multiple towns with differing style requirements is the way to go. Dictating what neighbors should and should not do with their lots is an HOA issue and town ordinance issue. There is a natural solution to that problem that carries into a game mechanic very well: pack up and move. Likely not everyone is going to like this solution, but it is one I am fine with, and I can tell you for sure that I didn't pledge over $1000 so my SotA neighbor can dictate to me the effect my house has on his lot and what I need to do to fix it.

This is a larger social problem that is going to be near impossible to satisfy everyone.

Time Lord likes this.
  11. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

I support the OP in this thread.

For player owned towns, any rules should be set by the person that owns the town. But for NPC towns I will be visiting as I roam new Britannia, saving the world? Yeah, I don't really want to see that.

There should definitely be restrictions for non player owned towns.

12. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Agreed. But the people lobbying for no rules should be careful what they wish for too. For example, when you start another thread saying "what's going on with these low frame rates?"

I'm not trying to call anyone out here. I'm just saying that this is a perfect example of how you need to have a balanced approach to game design.

13. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

It sounds good on paper, but probably not so easy to implement.

Time Lord and E n v y like this.
  14. Noctiflora

Noctiflora Avatar

Speaking for myself, of course, I think that we have to be very, very careful when we start making judgements on what is attractive and what is not. It's a very slippery slope that can lead to a community of censors, art critics, and brother's keepers with others ultimately making our decisions for us on what we can and cannot do with our properties. We're not talking about something that directly interferes with another's gameplay. It doesn't stop you in your tracks and divert you from what you were doing. It's a matter of saying "I don't like what I see."

I'll be the first to admit that my opinion frequently differs from some others in what I think is attractive or artistic. There are times, in games and in rl too, where I just think to myself "pfft, their taste is all in their mouth." And with that I move on and ignore it. One person's eyesore is often another person's artistic masterpiece that they spent an inordinate amount of time on and are very proud of. How sad to have other people up in arms about it and not only insulting it, but demanding they not even be allowed to make it. Talk about a buzzkill.

With that said, I am with those who don't want to see rules and regulations on what a person can do with their property. (lord knows we've all paid through the nose for them in this game compared to most other games). But I wouldn't be totally against a few, (a very few), restrictions based on the laws of nature as they apply in this fantasy world. (not the rl world). I'd just hate to see it go too far down that slippery slope where someone can say "I think that's hideous, so you can't do that."

15. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

But, I'm not asking for rules on how you can decorate but rules on how things interact physically...is that really too much to ask for? I'm kind of confused that people argue for realism but want no weight for items or sensible placement.

16. Gubbles

Gubbles Avatar

You're making an overly generalized assumption about frame rate. The devs have said maximum zone item placement is being tweaked. And, as I mentioned to you in the other thread, the relative difference in frame rate between R12 and R13 went beyond the scope of item placement, as was confirmed by Chris.

Time Lord and Lord Baldrith like this.
  17. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Which isn't what this is about....it is about physical attributes to items that affect how they could realistically(to a point) be placed.

I don't really care about taste...if they want to litter the yard then fine....it is when a whole floor is being held up by a tiny pole then stacked however high...that is something that should be controlled by game physics.

EDIT: It has been getting pretty personal as people assume(not specifically the post quoted) that what people are talking about is limiting creativity....that isn't it as we keep stating.

EDIT2: It would be great if the DEVS spoke out on what physics the game will use in this regard.

18. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Yes, you're right about all those things. But this is still a good example if we're playing the "what if" game, which the poster I responded to was doing.

Time Lord and Joviex like this.
  19. redfish

redfish Avatar

Tarsin,

Neither did I pledge about $600 just to only find horrible lots where I don't want to live in the game.

Actually, that's not completely true. I pledged the money because I wanted to support the development of the game. Whether the game gets made exactly in a way I like or not, I'm not going to make a big fuss over it. It might influence how much I stick around after I complete the story, because it'll influence how much I enjoy the game, but that's another issue.

I would like to just be able to have these conversations on the forums, and be able to politely disagree with others about them. There's too much drama on these threads.

I personally see housing as very similar to the PvP issue, both are about balancing different aspects in gameplay. Some open PvPers make open PvP sacrosanct, and some open decoration people make free decoration sacrosanct, even to the point of some even complaining about physics rules. I don't like HOAs and would like to avoid them in the game if possible. A HOA will mean that player government will be able to vote on what you're going to be putting up. I don't mind reasonable restrictions set up beforehand, because the world is a game with limits to it. And I realize that if you restrict things too much, you're going to take a lot of creativity out of the world and make it duller, so I don't want that either.

20. Noctiflora

Noctiflora Avatar

Rune, no offense, but the op and a number of the posts in this thread do specifically talk about the aesthetics and what they do or don't want to see. Maybe it's about physics for you and your posts, but not the entire thread.

steanne, Jatvardur, Time Lord and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.