Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

With every release I despise player housing more and more

Discussion in 'Release 13 Feedback' started by Lord_Darkmoon, Dec 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

True, but you put in the attributes and the majority of the really bad ones(as pictured) just don't exist.

Time Lord and Sebastion like this.
  2. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Redfish, I can't agree with this enough. Don't want people screaming for an HOA(which I really DO NOT want.) put reasonable restrictions in.

Can anyone really honestly say that when they heard there would be lots that they thought that meant they could stack fountains on top of each other or make a floor supported by nothing? This game will get lambasted if that comes to pass, it already gets hit with graphics complaints(which I like btw) but it can't be in the early 90's or earlier for physics.

amaasing, Time Lord, Vermine and 3 others like this.
  3. Jordizzle

Jordizzle Avatar

Personally, looking at things stacked to the sky doesn't break the game for me. I'm playing online so I expect to see other users doing things I might not be doing. If it's not effecting my game play then I think you should be able to do whatever you want on your lot. With that being said, Ultima Online has a limit on how high you can raise things, and stack things etc. If there's one game I want to be like UO it's this one. :D

4. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

That's all that I'm looking for to be honest...some form of control of stacking...stuff that makes at least a little sense.

Time Lord and Jordizzle like this.
  5. Sindariya

Sindariya Avatar

Oh what a nice thread and I had a good laugh from time to time. As one of the major abuser of the current decoration system I can only encourage the people to abuse the system as much as possible. Chaos rules even within the cities of Novia. But before I post my serious feedback I have 2 questions.

First: What means HOA? If you use abbreviation, please write them out once and explain them. Not everyone comes from your gaming background or has english as mothertongue. We can't follow such discussions if we don't know what you're talking about. I only can guess.

Second (OT): Where are the whinners who normally claim, that the devs have more important things to do as to care much more for housing and decoration rules?

Okay back to the main problem. It will perhaps surprise you all but there are already stacking rules. At the moment you can't stack higher as 5 level. It is like the item limit. It doesn't care which items and is only for now till they have time to think about it again. The most items don't stack only a few do. Books don't stack what the most want, ankh stack what the most dislike. We should start this discussion again when we come to the point of balancing and around 90% of the items are in.

I really hate this discussions about rules for land owner to not break the immersion. I follow the thought: My land, my world, my rules. Noone should be allowed to tell me what I have to do on my lot and what I can't do. If the whole street has a white front, am I allowed to have a green one? Should we really do that? Because if we start on one edge the discussion will lead to the other extrem.

If you want physics in the game for items like weight, will house break if you do to much on the first floor? Will a wall break because you hang too much pictures on it? Physic will not prevent you from a wall of wardrobes which steal the daylight on the neighbour lot like many castle. So if you start to rage against that I will rage against home with more then 1 floor. They do the same and can also be immersion breaking.

As a advice for the future: Try to talk with the people who did it. Parhaps they understand you and remove it or you understand them and accept it. Mostly it will end up in a compromise which don't need rules from above.

6. Seth Ruin

Seth Ruin Avatar

HOA stands for "Homeowners' Association," and at least here in the States, it's a type of organization you usually have to join in most neighborhoods when you own property there. They set rules for things like what colors you can paint your house, the length/upkeep of the lawns, etc. Most HOAs can levy fines for people who don't abide by the rules.

Mata, Time Lord and Sir Cabirus like this.
  7. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

My point wasn't that you were wrong to want the female character to change, majoria70. My point was that you were right to give that feedback.

I stayed out of the discussions because even though I thought the female character was fine the way it was (and honestly I don't see the changes as being that much different), it wasn't a big deal to me. But I didn't jump into your numerous threads and say "it's not a big deal, and it's just a game, and so stop being so serious about it, let people be creative and have faith in the devs...blah blah blah".

Do you see what I'm saying? If you don't think it's a big deal, then ok sure give THAT feedback. But don't act like the people that think it's a big deal should suddenly realize "oh yeah, you're right it's not a big deal!" Because maybe the things that you think are a big deal are not quite as important as you think they might be, and vice versa. That's what I meant by being dismissive.

8. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I don't get your argument to be honest. It seems we have to have max realism instead of some realism in this? There is either max weight and physics or none at all? It's really not about just rules for the landowner, it's about setting the rules for all the items, which you stated is already sort of there and will get added more as we go.

Not looking at punishing individuals at all for lots, more ensuring proper rules are on items for the lot which actually benefits everyone.

Time Lord likes this.
  9. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

Looks like someone played Dungeon Defenders too much. :D

10. Drocis the Devious

Here's my question back to you though....

If players had the ability to put things into the game that you found offensive, like: (insert whatever you want here), wouldn't you demand that there be some kind of rules surrounding lot ownership? Because that's all that's going on here. We're simply trying to make acceptable rules that the community as a whole can live with and feel is fair.

It's not just one or two people saying "I don't like it when people stack things". It's a lot more than that, simply judging by the different people responding to this thread. As you said, there are already rules in place for decorating. But what you may not have thought about is that there's a Terms of Service that warns players against doing things that may be offensive. For example, a player can't spell out a racial slur using decorations and then say "I'm just being creative".

So it's not like we're talking about doing something new here by having some rules put into place. What some people might find creative and wonderful, the majority of the community MIGHT find offensive.

Time Lord, Joviex and Sir Cabirus like this.
  11. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

You and many others agree with this. So do I. But..........

SotA design became the HOA when they decided we couldn't even design our own house. Now look what people are doing. Before long, they'll probably put in some design that will make it impossible to do certain things. But nothing could keep someone from lining their yards with those over-sized fountains and innumerable gaudy collectibles.

Time Lord likes this.
  12. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

See that's fine, no accounting for taste....

Time Lord likes this.
  13. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

This got me to thinking. Ugh.

This means, if I only wanted to play single player, and there was a housing shortage, I couldn't even own my own place in single player mode. Plus I wouldn't be able to avoid seeing other people's "creations".

Not good, not good.

Kleshar and Time Lord like this.
  14. Drocis the Devious

That's actually what a Home Owner's Association does, account for tastes in a uniform way.

I know you're not advocating for that. Neither am I.

I'm just saying that it would be nice if we could tone down the free form modern art exhibits to the moon.

15. mike11

mike11 Avatar

I'm with you on this sort of issue, but, consider that what you are seeing right now is a bunch of people who are trying to exploit this game and be creative. There is a issue here and hopefully there can be a solution so that we don't see upside down cows on every street corner... Just file the bug reports of what kinds of decorations are not really reasonable that would be a better course of action than to lash out at housing.

Time Lord and Tarsin like this.
  16. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

You mean, like them making tract-like American homes that should be castles, for us, instead of us designing our own?

:D

Kleshar, majoria70 and Time Lord like this.
  17. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I don't think anyone is lashing out.

Time Lord and Sir Cabirus like this.
  18. Gubbles

Gubbles Avatar

My apologies Sindariya, I introduced the abbreviation in this thread. It could have been written out fully the first time :)

Mata, Time Lord and Sir Cabirus like this.
  19. Gubbles

Gubbles Avatar

Edited for less sarcasm.

In my book, OP thread title and post are good examples of lashing out.

20. Gubbles

Gubbles Avatar

So I'm going to go ahead and make the connection here that you're implying that some things you or the community may find offensive could or should possibly considered a ToS violation. My interpretation of this part of the ToS is that it has more to do with hate speech and less about what the lynch mob (community) deems as offensive by way of popular opinion.

Lord_Darkmoon and Time Lord like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.