OPEN PvP vs SELECTIVE PvP ** YOUR VOTE MATTERS ** [UNOFFICIAL]

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Hexus, Dec 26, 2014.

?

OPEN PvP vs SELECTIVE PvP ** YOUR VOTE MATTERS **

1. OPEN PvP

39.4%
  2. SELECTIVE PvP

60.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Lew

Lord Lew Avatar

So I did a little test.. I went and flagged myself open PVP to see just what might happen (tho I already knew), and took a walk into Owls Head. I was dressed in my Santa hat, with no sword out, and in my merchant clothing. To my utter shock (insert sarcasm), I was promptly attacked by two mages as I entered the top portion of owls head. So I re-spawned and walked back up to talk with my attackers.. but yet again as I walked through peddlers row I was attacked out of nowhere by Heavy Smoker and Swamp thing. and I chuckled, jogged back to the oracle and back into care bare mode.

You might ask why I would do such a thing... It was to prove a point. Open PVP will never ever happen in SOTA because people just can not control themselves. When a simple crafter or merchant can't walk through the largest city un-accosted, in hopes to trade his or her goods, you will never get your pvp world.

so cry open PVP all you want, 99% of us will walk away from it. I will selectevly go into brave coast, or other PVP areas of my own accord, but flag myself open PVP, no thank you.

Regards,
    Lord Lew

2. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Interesting findings.

3. tcjennings

tcjennings Avatar

If I were wrong, PVP wouldn't be a footnote in this game. You opt in, fight other people who have opted in, the end. We'll see how they blend it into the storyline and game loop in general, but for now it is what it is.

Logain and blaquerogue like this.
  4. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Since there is no purpose to PvP added, it is pre-alpha, of course that is what PvP looks like. There was only one reason to enable PvP at this point in development - to give people something to do.

That goes for PvE. There is no purpose currently and the only reason to it's there is to give people something to do.

Combat would be the only reason, and it's a slight one, for either PvE or PvP to be relevant for testing. But since they lots more to add for combat, they could have just as easily waited.

5. tcjennings

tcjennings Avatar

Sure, there's a lot to be added. But the list of things we know aren't getting added to PVP is pretty long. About the most interesting things about it are there might be resources only available in open-PVP zones. Okay. And there might be quests which flag you for PVP for the duration. Fine. These obviously won't be part of the main narrative, else all you have to do is use SPO and breeze through. Otherwise, what is there? Full-world open PVP and full loot are both off the table, and not just the pre-alpha table -- the alpha, the beta, and the release table, too. And the episode-2 table, etc.

It'll take something pretty innovative for PVP to be anything but insignificant in this game. I'm excited to see if that's the case. Otherwise I'm excited to see the loudest PK voices quiet down, sell their pledges, or both.

Ice Queen and blaquerogue like this.
  6. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Those rare resources and creatures will be more abundant in PvP, not only in PvP. The extent of that is still unknown. If you switched to SPO, the hex returns to it's non PvP state, which includes that abundance.

If full-world open PvP and full loot is what you are looking for in PvP. Then you are correct, PvP is a footnote. But there is more to PvP, the contested hex, for example. Control points that must be PvPed for to gain control. What that control offers is still unknown. (besides one video commenting on a forge that allows crafting to use the rare resources)

Logain likes this.
  7. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Welp you know what i voted no need to explain anything! :)

majoria70 and smack like this.
  8. Deathblow

Deathblow Avatar

I vote more PvP, the only thing that will promote more realism and balance to combat. Through player report to the developer.

blaquerogue likes this.
  9. Heavy Smoker

Heavy Smoker Avatar

People do not need to turn on the PvP flag if they are afraid of being attacked, and if they do happen to have this PvP flag enabled, they should probably be in some armor. There are tons of ways if open pvp was allowed that it could be controlled such as town guards etc.. like UO. And yes you came to talk to your attackers but the language you used when speaking to me wasn't exactly something I expected, as we were going to talk civil to you and let you pass.

However I could care less if they enable full pvp or give the option as it is now, but I do think that there are A LOT of non pvp players out there that should still get to enjoy this game with everyone, so I only think full pvp would cripple the community.

smack and blaquerogue like this.
  10. swampthing

swampthing Avatar

so yeah we killed lew. hes pvp. of course we killed him. then he came back and talked trash, so of course he died again. lol.

11. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Ok so heres my take on this from an open PVP flagged person! I can and have walked through Owls head in the midst of PVPrs and known Pkrs, even around Heavy Smoker and have not been attacked on many counts! Since i am PVP i know Heavy Smoker and people like him would and have attacked me! I also know i could possibly be attacked by others that i did not know!

So if i did walk into a place where they are at, i would be prepared to fight and kill them or be killed by them, again an option i picked for myself personally. If you had originally been PVP from the start, you would've known that Heavy Smoker would attack you! i know it, and most PVP people do know that not only Heavy but, others like Heavy also attack on site! We also know of them as well! They in turn know that we will attack them back, we will win some and we will lose some, but guess what? That is the reason we like PVP so much for that exact reason, the reason that we can be attacked at any given moment, by anyone!

I understand that it may not be fun for you, or everyone, and i respect that, and never want to force you to play PVP! I also respect the Pk and the PVP that choose that lifestyle in games! After all we are all trying to enjoy the game, and with the way this game is set up we are going to have to play with each other, even if its not the same play styles. You opted to play PVP to prove a point? Not really! You see if the game was set up like its supposed to be not pre alpha, Heavy Smoker would be attacked by the guards, and or other PVP players like myself the minute he commenced to attack you, and with that many against him the odds are pretty bad for him! At that point im pretty sure he would be more worried about us, and the guards than he was you! Again that is a play style we chose! Which you don't have to! I kind of wish sometimes we would look at the other side of the fence for PVP, and not just the side that annoys us the most! There are PVP people out there that wont attack you for no reason! Like me and my friends, and /or Guild mates!

I think you may have just had bad timing as well, and at the wrong place at the wrong time. We all know that there will never be Open pvp (non-consensual) type setting! You will either choose to PVP or choose not to, and that is strictly up to you, none of us can make you play one way or another it is solely your choice!

Sir Cabirus, Heavy Smoker and Gaelis like this.
  12. Net

Net Avatar

Well, the guards do not work and there is no consequences for killing anyone. So consider even cities dangerous (in fact, at this moment the most dangerous locations are crafting pavillion and skill trainer) and hire some PvPers as bodyguards! Because there is no other way to fight with PKs and griefers than with force. Shame they have no honour and cheat the death penalty. But loading time for Owl's Head is good enough penalty.

Sir Cabirus and blaquerogue like this.
  13. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

I figured there was more to that story! There are consequences for actions!

14. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

That is where people like me come into play!
    I was attacked at the Skill Trainer, but little did the pkr know i was already skilled up! Some lessons are better served cold! He did not come back to talk to me afterwards either! :)

Sir Cabirus and Net like this.
  15. Hexus

Hexus Avatar

No one who wants open PvP would EVER ask for the game to be like this. Your example is skewed and pointless. In no way shape or form is anyone asking to be able to kill anyone in town. People keep thinking the extreme and don't see the big picture here. PvP'rs want miners to mine, tamers to tame, etc etc. If you got killed once, then put a rule in place so you can't be killed again for an hour. Or the 24 hours! Would just be nice to keep it somewhat interesting. Again, your stroll through Owls head is pointless. This wouldn't be the case ever. There would be guards in place to instantly kill a PvP'r or rules that just wouldn't let you flag in the first place.

blaquerogue likes this.
  16. OoOo lollie oOOo

OoOo lollie oOOo Avatar

We don't want to get involved in being killed by a player ever is the point. It wouldn't make me happy being the winner of any random fight either - I'd just be annoyed that someone forced my time to include them.

Just be happy killing other flagged people who want to be killed/killers and leave it at that.

Ice Queen, steanne, Logain and 2 others like this.
  17. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

We will have options not to play PVP so that is 100% in the game, no one has anything to worry about if they do not flag! :)

Sir Cabirus likes this.
  18. OoOo lollie oOOo

OoOo lollie oOOo Avatar

Exactly. But I think the OP wants more than that, which is what I am responding to.

Logain likes this.
  19. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

i dont think you should be able to be attacked if you are not flagged anyhow! :) Unless you choose to go into a PVP only zone, selecting "yes i wish to enter", or "No i do not want too"! That way you have chosen your own fate! ;)

20. OoOo lollie oOOo

OoOo lollie oOOo Avatar

Well you and I are in agreement on that, which is as it stands currently and from what people are saying here, forever. But OP wants something else again (non-consensual PVP). You even voted yourself you would like non-consensual PVP (that's what voting YES to this thread is saying).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.