Ghosts are jerks.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Themo Lock, Jan 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Devoid

Devoid Avatar

I agree whole-heartedly! Not everything should be easy mode, or more of the same - just different pixels!

Actually, this is an excellent suggestion!! The ghost's essence exists on the ethereal plain; when we encounter them in the physical world, they are near-impossible to defeat, and should one die while in a ghost encounter, one then enters the ghost's realm where they are more vulnerable and can be more easily defeated!
    The difficulty is then how to return to the physical world...alive...
    Then, of course, there may be some of us who don't want to return to the world and would prefer to remain a ghost haunt and torment the living...

Just don't ask me what happens if one dies AGAIN, this time in the ghost realm...could get very complicated...!

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  2. Devoid

Devoid Avatar

NO! NO HOTFIXES!! CURSE YOU DEVS!!! *Shakes fist in rage*

3. redfish

redfish Avatar

Yea supposing though that you have all the ghost powers right after you die :> It would need to be a bit more complicated than that.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  4. Heradite

Heradite Avatar

It would be cool if you could buy a Ghostbusters-like gun (Steampunk) that was the only way to kill a ghost. :p

Furious Fist likes this.
  5. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

Darn ghosts are too powerful :eek: I'm a level 60 archer/mage and encountered one at the top of the Tower yesterday. Essentially it ended up being a death magic match to see who could drain the other's health faster :rolleyes: The ghost won easily :(

6. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Set it on fire, they seem to hate that and not drain so much XD

Gabriel Nightshadow likes this.
  7. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

I tried that - but he was draining my health much faster than the damage inflicted on him by my flame fist, fiery decay, and immolation o_O

8. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

It is sooo much worse if you have a party of new players for it to eat XD

9. palang81984

palang81984 Avatar

Yep, in fact I was just retro gaming Ultima 7 about 2 weeks ago because I discovered GOG.com, then I ended up googling Richard Garret and UO, and found out about this game! I then backed this game and here I am.

Also, Ghosts brought me to this particular thread. I'm level 39 was hoping to solo ravensmoor, but the ghosts are life-draining me insanely. Every other mob in the game tickles me, I can literally stand there for 10 minutes laughing before I even attack them.

I guess I need a party? I have no friends!

Tahru likes this.
  10. Cypher Black

Cypher Black Avatar

Yeah, my dexer is pretty good, but he can't survive a ghost attack.

Cypher Black

11. -sCo-

-sCo- Avatar

I like the ghots and I like to work for my epic loot. They are the only real challenge outside Chillblaines lich room. I would also like to see that the lichs, skeletons and spiders down in the sewers deal out more damage.

12. Asclepius

Asclepius Avatar

It's an awesome feeling when you can finally down a ghost! I am level 50, mixed blades/magic, leather armour of dodge, and I have in my deck death touch x 5, death ray x 2, healing touch x 3, healing ray x 1, the rest sword type glyphs. Str 35 Dex 25 Int 25. Fizzle chance 0.
    My 2H sword of Greater Haste can irritate a ghost, but it's really only the death spells that will kill it. I just have to stay alive long enough to suck it dry before it sucks me dry! But I can now handle a ghost in single combat, although it takes a while...
    A bit of a ripoff to only get 300 adventuring points, and no loot!
    Last night I got to the bottom of Kingsport sewer (whoopee!), killed the lich, and was dealing with all his skeletal buddies (line up and die, guys...) when I was aware that something bad was happening. Crap, another ghost! By the time I formed up on him and started to attack I was half dead already - not a good starting position. Of course I died - again.....
    @palang81984 , feel free to friend me in game - if I'm around we could do some ghostbusting together....

13. mikeaw1101

mikeaw1101 Avatar

Weird how ghosts can be hurt by "death magic", since they are already supposed to be dead?

14. Albus

Albus Avatar

I think the ghost situation is a reflection of life stealing in general being overpowered, although this goes for healing as well. I've found in what, 98% of games if there are healing and/or life drain powers, they are overpowered any anyone lacking such powers is basically screwed. It is a shame IMO, although I tend to enjoy vampiric sorts of powers in general they (nor any other power, looking at you healing) should not be manditory, any more than swordsmanship, archery, etc. Balancing such powers will be difficult, I'm not sure if a serious pass will even be made to curtail healing/life-tap relative to more mundane powers as it is hard to allow them relevance without "nerfing" them entirely.

I'd still like to see the balance effort made though. Although our friends the ghosts may disagree :p

15. OoOo lollie oOOo

OoOo lollie oOOo Avatar

The issue is these things cast their aoe lifesteal attack without any cooldown, non-stop. Yes, that's a non-stop area effect lifesteal, no cooldown.

If you have another person in your party and they're not so good at playing, chances are they are just contributing their hitpoints to the ghost and keeping it alive even longer.

What is needed is a cooldown to the ghost's lifesteal attack, and them having to use crappy auto attacks most of the time, and also not always cast the aoe version of the lifesteal attack. The mob is just out of control.

To top it off, these things usually travel in at least groups of two, sometimes three.

There's no way this thing should only be worth 300xp (with no loot, as the final insult).

Dirk Hammerstrike likes this.
  16. graylake21

graylake21 Avatar

The issue is these things cast their aoe lifesteal attack without any cooldown, non-stop. Yes, that's a non-stop area effect lifesteal, no cooldown.

--- move out of the way,
    --- have a build with massive burst, see themo lock, net, (list of mages goes on and on)
    --- run my build, works pretty well to kill ghosts (gaylike guide) search it, or don't.

---- loot to reward: Spectral mines now has 4 ghosts guarding ores. That's the obvious turn off to farming there currently since most people can't kill 1. *cough cough* *risk reward* *cough* (and even that's designed poorly) (hahahaha)

17. OoOo lollie oOOo

OoOo lollie oOOo Avatar

Don't tell me how to kill these things - I already know how (and with more ways than you listed).

Everything I said is right on the mark. No way this thing is balanced for 300xp. And it should not get to cast non-stop aoe lifesteal while traveling in groups of two or more.

Albus likes this.
  18. Albus

Albus Avatar

This is true as well, but observations that life tapping the ghost in turn yield best chance for success does highlight that the lifetapping itself rather than solely the aoe version is at fault. An npc with a whirling blade to damage multiple foes at once would not present nearly equivolent opposition for instance, and 1:1 combat vs. ghosts (and lifedrains, where aoe itself is no factor) are far more dangerous than 1:1 against any other foes I have found yet, at least.

If we imagine a build of character lacking heal/self-heal, particularly melee oriented, we can very clearly see how unbalanced healing and lifetap are I think. That AoE ghostie lifetap *is* a seriously nasty thoughif you are in a group, particularly of melee'ers ;)

19. Albus

Albus Avatar

Right, it's not so much an issue of "how can I beat them" (it can be done) but more of a balance issue. Catching and highlighting balance issues for repair is one of our roles here as testers (pre-alpha-tester is just too much of a mouthful!)

20. OoOo lollie oOOo

OoOo lollie oOOo Avatar

No what it suggests is the only way for most people to even *try* to stay alive long enough to kill this thing is we need to find extra hitpoints somehow, in this case all we have is healing ourselves to soak a few extra hp here and there. And that's not really the secret to killing this thing anyway.

I found a better way to kill this thing, and I don't think anyone would say this particular thing was OP. It's all too easy to blame lifesteal in general, but if I had the ghost's lifesteal skills I would be godlike. The issue is not our version of lifesteal - it's the ghost's version of lifesteal - which is aoe and without cooldown, plus it travels in packs of two or more. Our lifesteal doesn't even come close to what this ghost can do.

Tahru likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.