SotA and Ultima Related Art

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dloubet, Jan 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dloubet

dloubet Avatar

Here's a piece of Ultima related art that I did for a patron. He asked for the Avatar at a Shrine as the theme. I've got another one I'll post there later that is dragon-themed.

The latest request is for a picture of what the Ultima 2 cover might have looked like if I had done it. I've already asked Richard what he would have wanted for a cover, and I'll run with the reply he gave me!

Stay tuned.

[​IMG]
    www.denisloubet.com
    www.patreon.com/denisloubet

Fenyx4, lollie, Barael and 20 others like this.
  2. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Your art always makes me smile! I love your art!

3. Sir_Hemlock

Sir_Hemlock Avatar

Such a well created artwork. Hope to see more. Regards,

4. dloubet

dloubet Avatar

Thanks guy! I aims to please!

(Filthy Peasant! What an awesome name! :-D)

5. Etheom

Etheom Avatar

Excellent job, looking forward to more!

dloubet and Themo Lock like this.
  6. Fox Cunning

Fox Cunning Localization Team

This is absolutely amazing! :)
    Hope to see more of that.

Sir Cabirus, dloubet and Themo Lock like this.
  7. dloubet

dloubet Avatar

This is an actual physical sketch for one of my Patrons. ( www.patreon.com/denisloubet ) This is done with markers on Bristol Board. In this piece I'm taking a hint from Mike Mignola on how to suggest scales. I like how the eye gives the dragon a natural feral look.
    [​IMG]

Tarsin, Sir Cabirus, lollie and 11 others like this.
  8. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

You just got yourself one more Patreon! Great stuff!

9. dloubet

dloubet Avatar

Yay! Thanks so much! :)

I shall endeavour to make it worth your while!

Sir Cabirus and Tahru like this.
  10. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

First I have to say that I love your work. I remember seeing the art on the box of Ultima IV and in the manuals and fell in love with it. Also the art you are providing here is fantastic!

But maybe I didn't quite understand it, so please excuse but how does this work? I can ask you to create an artwork from my own ideas and you will create it? For one Dollar?

Tahru and Themo Lock like this.
  11. Meyaka2

Meyaka2 Avatar

I like your style. Keep it up. ;)

Tahru, Cordelayne and Themo Lock like this.
  12. dloubet

dloubet Avatar

Patreon requires SO much explanation! ;-)

With Patreon, you're not buying art, you're funding the artist. You're funding him so that he continues to produce art.

It's a way for an artist to work directly for his fans. You pledge an amount per art piece, video, music, etc, from an artist, and you can cap that amount to stay within your budget, and that cap does not limit what you get. For instance, if you pledge 1 dollar, and cap at 2 dollars, you still get all 4 of the art pieces I did that month, but are only charged 2 dollars.

I also offer a host of freebies. Art that Patreon will not charge you for. For instance, my patrons are seeing the concept art I did for SotA a week before everyone else does, for free.

Different pledge levels grant the patron different bonuses. For instance, at my 5 dollar level you get the actual Photoshop file with all the layers intact, in addition to the high and low resolution images that the 3 and 1 dollar patrons get.

The more Patrons I get, the less I have to worry about finances, and the more art I can produce for my fans. And the more risks I can take! With enough fans, I could try my hand at a SotA web comic, or 3D printed items.

If I get more Ultima and SotA fans, than I do, say, Wing Commander fans, I'll be doing more Ultima and SotA artwork!

And as for your question about the drawings I'm doing for my patrons: At my 25 dollar pledge level, I'm randomly asking one of those patrons to suggest a theme for a drawing, and sending that patron the finished piece when I'm done. Everyone else gets to see the scanned version for free, of course. ;-)

And, of course, I'm open to ideas for what I can offer my fans. The current pledge level bonuses are only what I imagined people would be interested in, but I could be completely wrong! Maybe you want lots of videos of me singing Justin Bieber songs, I have no idea! So feel free to let me know what you folks want to see.

13. dloubet

dloubet Avatar

Meyaka, Thanks for the kind words! I shall strive to do so! :)

Sir Cabirus, Themo Lock and Tahru like this.
  14. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Everyone that has appreciation for all the old Ultima cover art, or the many many pieces of art he did for Steve Jackson Games (Anyone remember Cardboard Heroes?) should back Denis through his Patreon site. I was one of the first, and I do it because I've been a fan since the early '80s and want him to be able to continue to do that which he does so well.

Sir Cabirus and Tahru like this.
  15. dloubet

dloubet Avatar

Thanks Rufus! :)

And I'll add: In tweets with Richard it was suggested that there will be a manual for SotA, and two more books! If that's the case, hold on to your hats. ;-)

16. Greyhaven

Greyhaven Avatar

Ah, yes...

See how the comely young lady gives her dragon a nice rub-down with a Shammy leather...

This is best appreciated in the following special and exclusive colour version:

[​IMG]

As we all know, when a dragon is pacified and befriended, it is best to keep it in tip-top condition with a good spray of neutral detergent and a hearty rub with a non-abrasive cloth (or sponge).

It will love you for it!

Now then. I will no doubt be seeing you all back in Deep Ravenswood, thrashing around in the near darkness and battling skeletons and wolves in the hunt for that annoying Guide...

lollie and dloubet like this.
  17. Drowan

Drowan Avatar

Denis can you explain a little about how a Patreon sub works? Say I chose the $3.00 a month option. It states $3.00 per piece of Artwork. So for example if you published 5 pieces of art in the month of February, I would be charged $15.00 from Patreon? Or, say if 3 of those 5 pieces were more along the theme I am looking for, I could just choose 3 of the 5 pieces for a $9.00 total.

Love your artwork. Great idea. Thank you!

dloubet likes this.
  18. dloubet

dloubet Avatar

Thanks for the kind words there! I'll be happy to explain the non-intuitive nature of Patreon. ;-)

First and foremost, by pledging to Patreon you're not buying art, you're supporting the artist. This principle disconnects payment from rewards in this way:

If you pledge $3.00 per artwork, and I do 5 pieces, you get all the art, and are charged $15 dollars at the end of the month. If, however, you cap your monthly backing to $6.00, which you can do, you will still get all 5 pieces of art, but only be charged $6.00 at the end of the month. That may seem at first glance to be unfair, but remember, you're not buying art, you're backing the artist, and $6.00 is better than nothing!

Obviously, this can be exploited, but there is little point in doing so. The reason to contribute to Patreon is to fund the artists you like so that they will continue to produce the art you want. Short-changing them would be self-defeating. Of course, people need a way to maintain a monthly budget, so the ability to cap your contribution is completely reasonable, and Patreon is commended for having that useful little feature. ;-)

Most of the stuff produced through Patreon is quickly released to the general public anyway. I have a friend making a living doing videos on Patreon, and all those videos end up on Youtube.

Patrons are people who want their favorite artists to continue producing the art they like, and they're willing to put their money where their mouths are.

Oh, and Greyhaven is correct, Dragons LOVE chamois!

--Denis

Sir Cabirus and Barael like this.
  19. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

Awesome art work! Thanks for releasing them in high quality, really like the detail on the ankh.

Sir Cabirus, dloubet and Barael like this.
  20. dloubet

dloubet Avatar

The original scan is even higher resolution. Suitable for a poster. Let me know if you would like a copy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.