Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Lighting a basement - or Candles, anyone?

Discussion in 'Release 14 Feedback' started by Asclepius, Feb 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Asclepius

Asclepius Avatar

So I have a nifty city stone basement:) - which is as dark as night:( I thought lots of little wall candles might help, went to the deco trader in Owls Head - he had two of them!

Now I suppose if I made 20 separate visits I might do OK. o_O

So I thought of crafting them (actually going to craft +++ this release!) Umm, no recipe. I can do candlesticks, or lanterns (could park them on a shelf I suppose)

Next step - call out to the community. Any ideas people - anyone who sells more than 2 wall candles at a time? Or any nice ideas on illuminating a basement?

Thanks folks!

2. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

@Asclepius LOL I know the basements are dark. They are gorgeous though aren't they. I have a zillion candles braziers, lanterns in mine and it is still dark. We are told not gonna be fixed this
    time but with R15 or so which you probably already know lighting fixes should happen. I've been picking up candles and every light I can find along the way as I journey along. I've also bought ingredients
    to craft more lanterns when I get the ingredients for them. Sorry I don't know who else would sell more of them. ***cheers*** Hope it was good day for you.;)

3. Etheom

Etheom Avatar

Good to hear this may be addressed in R15. The basements are incredibly dark!

Noctiflora, Asclepius and Tahru like this.
  4. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Yes with the Unity 5 there are some cool new advantages added over Unity 4 that's why we are switching. For example, like sound, lighting, tree program if we use it, and who knows what else. I can't wait to see the differences.:)

Noctiflora, Asclepius and Tahru like this.
  5. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

You can just buy and talk to the guy again... over and over and over again in fact. I've found 2-3 candelabras or 2-3 of the darker brazier work best for lighting up the basement rooms. I went with 12 of each and staggered them in the basement and it worked very well for both lvl 5 row and village (haven't tried larger). The lights pass through walls (including floors) so you can take advantage of the sphere of light to increase efficiency.

FrostII, Spoon, Noctiflora and 2 others like this.
  6. Noctiflora

Noctiflora Avatar

Do what I did. Pilfer every candle that isn't nailed down in the towns. The basements in Kingsport are great for that, as well as the taverns in all the towns and other miscellaneous buildings. lol. Since no light is currently provided in the basements, I don't feel too bad commandeering lights I find. I have a bazillion candles in my basement now and can now actually see what I'm doing and make out a few details on my lovely crafting stations. Also, you can close out the vendor window and reopen and he'll have 2 more of what you bought. Over and over, and I was able to buy a fair stash of candelabras. It's a pita but works.

FrostII, lollie and Asclepius like this.
  7. PeteWi The Disoriented

PeteWi The Disoriented Avatar

My basement is tomb!!! It's a lovely tomb, but a tomb nonetheless :)
    Buying the brazier takes forever since you have to wait a couple minutes between each purchase.

I'm totally on board with the idea of using every candle that isn't nailed down. They'll get a new a couple minutes after I'm gone.
    I forget, but one of the basements had candelabras which worked pretty nicely.

Next chance I get, I'm looting every tavern in Novia for candles.

Oh yeah, take them from Nestor, he doesn't deserve them anyway.

8. amaasing

amaasing Avatar

Yes, lighting in the basements are a real challenge as is purchasing the lighting from Vendors (Talk, Select, Sign, Talk, Select, Sign, etc.). It seems it differs from basement type to basement type though on the amount of lights needed to be able to see adequately. Single story basements (meaning one big room) are the most difficult in my opinion. I have a Village 1 story basement that has 23 Wall Candles, 11 Braziers (8 of the upright w/2 in each corner and 3 of the flatter type grouped in the center), 6 candles, and 1 Iron Lantern and still can't see what's in that room. However, my Village 5 story is not that bad once you put a few lights around. In basements with additional rooms the lighting from one room can pass through to the adjacent room as mentioned above.

Can't wait to see the improvements in R15.

Tahru likes this.
  9. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

I hope it does not change until R15. I am banking on it being really dark for this release.

Ravenclaw [BEAR] likes this.
  10. Ravenclaw [BEAR]

Ravenclaw [BEAR] Avatar

A hole in the ground with no sunlight should be dark and I hope it stays that way. I would however like to see new and interesting ways to light it up. Table length chandeliers, reflective surface to spread the light around, wall mounted lighting with shades over them, or even items that glow in the dark with a phosphorescent type glow.

FrostII, lollie and Tahru like this.
  11. DancingShade

DancingShade Avatar

My basement has a single candle by the ladder and the rest is shrouded in darkness.

When they create those "darker themed" decorations I hope to fill my basement with all sort of assorted skulls, iron maidens and racks. Really bring back some of that Ultima 7 dungeon feel.

lollie, Tahru and majoria70 like this.
  12. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

First like was said above. In R14 we can buy, double click vendor, buy again, etc etc.

Then those wall lights are for small cozy lumen. What you want/need are spotlights.
    The best one so far is the small silver candle, followed by candelabra and then iron lantern, braziers and lights. Buy one of each and place you will see what I mean. Stolen lights usually fall in the last category. (If you want lots of lights to steal then Owls Nest bandits and the Clink has bunches of lights, albeit low lumen.
    If you don't mind the blue light then the standing 'torch' has really nice volume lumen. And you have a dozen at a time from the merchant.
    For a city basement though you really need to play with light and dark. You can't really expect to illuminate it all.

Oh and last release it was book shops that had the largest selection of lights, don't know if that is true this release.

13. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

Candles won't give much light, basements are suppoded to be dark and spooky, a place to store things... You can buy 2 candles (or anything else) over and over, just open the merchant window again...

lollie and Tahru like this.
  14. FanofIolo

FanofIolo Avatar

Agree...I've found the candelabras to be the best (the tall ones) and stick them in the corners.

What concerns me more than the lack of light is the lack of air...

15. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

I've tried all of the items (braziers, candles, candelabras, lanterns, torches, wall candles, etc.) and none of them seem to produce enough light in my basement :( Also have run into the problem of the limit on the number of lighting sources :eek: Hope that they do indeed address this problem in R15 o_O

FrostII, Tahru and Lord Baldrith like this.
  16. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

Breath deeply while running both smelting and blacksmithing in the same basement room... head gets dizzy... makes interestingly wavy blades... Must go vomit on alchemy table *passes out and twitches a bit*

Ravenclaw [BEAR] and Tahru like this.
  17. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

What size basement are you using?

18. Gabriel Nightshadow

Town 3 -story stone basement ;)

19. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

Yeah that one is pretty massive and uncomfortable (Just got my first town lot and trying to decide between that basement or the store bought 5 story stone and wood one... and boy is it dark).

Gabriel Nightshadow likes this.
  20. Gabriel Nightshadow

I really do prefer the all stone one to the stone and timber one in the add-on store ;) Whichever you choose will be difficult to illuminate :( Still have to use a Light spell every time ...otherwise I find myself tripping over all the dead bodies I have stashed down there :rolleyes:

Moiseyev Trueden and FanofIolo like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.