Helping with Ideas for Player Owned Towns Templates

Discussion in 'Player Owned Towns' started by Winfield, Jan 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raven Swiftbow

Raven Swiftbow Bug Hunter

We need a mountain-forest area with water that is not so high that it is snowy....

2. Matterio

Matterio Avatar

Is it possible to get a list of sprite images by category, i.e. Tree, bushes, house types, etc? That way one could select their customization and submit via a portal or spreadsheet. The images would be based on a request based on a percentage, as in I request 10% of this kind of tree, 45% of this kind of vegetation, etc. This way the designers could customize a town based on a the request and what the owner wants to see within their town.

3. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Rainforest Biome

If you take Valemark as an example and double the density of the smaller plants, ferns, shrubs and mushrooms (examples pictured below) it would be perfect for a rainforest biome.

[​IMG]

It would also be fantastic if this high density foliage could be placed in close proximity to plot borders, with some slight overlap like the examples below.

[​IMG]

To complete the look and feel of a rainforest area, adding a river with a tiered waterfall like the one at the start of Solace bridge and maintaining the high density foliage placement along its banks would be perfect.

[​IMG]
    Finishing touches could include the fireflies found in the swamp areas and fallen logs like the ones in south ravenswood. Having the river on the edge of the PoT and the waterfall in one corner would be great for placing water plots if the town is connected to a river on the overland map.

4. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

Throw in the orange blossom trees in the Priestess castle in Ardoris

Gaelis, Tahru and Themo Lock like this.
  5. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

6. Senash Kasigal

Senash Kasigal Avatar

Here is our request for the Metrololis Drachenfels:
    Later i will post a few parcels.

Metropolis Drachenfels
    [​IMG]

7. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Nice idea. I am not sure they are going to allow 5 biomes in a single POT though.

8. Senash Kasigal

Senash Kasigal Avatar

i know, but we can dream ;)

9. Blake Blackstone

Blake Blackstone Avatar

[​IMG]

So that all City + size towns are unique we could use basic shapes like the ones above but not in the same order. Keep it somewhat flat for ease of design.

Weins201, Noctiflora, Tarsin and 11 others like this.
  10. Senash Kasigal

Senash Kasigal Avatar

Wow, nice. :)

i forgot something
    we have a second PoT, a hamlet
    this PoT is intended only for big events
    what we would like to do is,
    put many small lots together without intervening space
    so we can build very big structures if nessessary
    or we can rent small lots for a funfair, market, circus ...
    (picture below is for an event holdfast)
    Only Row and Village Lots

[​IMG]

11. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

outstanding!

12. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Hills with mountain view.
    HiddenVale_Encounter_Tier1 Loc: (-51.2, 48.4, -42.3)
    I'd like to see more scenery, not just trees like we see in Valemark, Holtrot, etc.

13. Proteus Tempest

Proteus Tempest Avatar

My first meeting at Valemark was very interesting. There were alot of great suggestions made for player towns. Unfortunately, I think that is going to be the problem. This is also going to be the future of requests when the game goes live and more people come into the game wanting player owned towns. Considering what I have heard in the past about POTs being offered for ingame gold.

The best solution I can see is for Portalarium to create a POT editing tool and let US spend the time customizing the town.

Considering the fact that Portalarium cannot spend endless amounts of time customizing our towns AND the player base in the future will keep hounding them about customization. The best idea IMHO is to put the work in now on an editing tool which will allow them to sit back and do other things besides customizing towns. I don't think there will be one player that after spending the cash on a town will not want to sit down and design it with an editing tool. I think that would be a lot of work yet a lot of fun and satisfaction in the creation of said town and would give the right amount of customization to a town as long as a person could put the ideas they have into motion within the editing tool.

14. Archaeopteryx

Archaeopteryx Avatar

THIS!!!! is the only acceptable solution :D

Lord Blake Blackstone likes this.
  15. Rofo

Rofo Avatar

The best solution I can see is for Portalarium to create a POT editing tool and let US spend the time customizing the town.

I disagree.

We have a player owned town, and personally I'd rather the devs were given as much freedom as possible with my house, lot, land, and town. I would rather they do what they could where they could, and we get more of the game sooner. Devs are Devs for a reason, they make their living coming up with this stuff. I think the best thing we could do, is discuss as many themes and concepts as possible and let them figure how they would make those things for themselves. And put them where they fit into the world, rather than worry about given us the ability to do stuff that would push even their limits in what the tools are capable of at this point in the development.

If they give us the tools, there's going to be an optimizer and a calculator to extract the absolute maximum storage from a town template. Optimal placement from exits location and communal resources, and we'll end up in a world filled with 7ish variations of the same town. Sure they might want to give us these things in later episodes, but lets let them focus on building the world, and spend time making an amazing magical place.

Consider me a fanboy if that helps you understand where I'm coming from.

I'm a fan of Lord British games.
    I put every Pink name I see in my friends list and give them kindred or trustee access to my houses.
    I'm a fan of Shroud of the Avatar.
    I trust the devs to do what they can to make this world an amazing place.
    I understand that, we would all love to sit down with a dev locked in a room where they couldn't leave until every single one of us got exactly what we wanted.
    But they are giving us what they promised, and doing more when they can.
    If the choice came to me using tools that they built for me, or we get everything else as promised. I'd rather they focus on what they promised us, not what we would love to have.
    There are always later episodes for more and more.

Royal Lord Marshall
    Rofo

edited several times for typing errors.

16. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

Couldn't have said it better. Great post!

majoria70 and Shiva2 like this.
  17. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

I support the idea of customization; however, making a great scene design takes a skill that 99.999% of POT owners do not have. Just go to any other sand box game and look how crappy the designs of anything are. So I like the idea of a POT owner providing the template and the game designers trying to keep to the spirit of the design while they do it correctly so it fits in the game.

18. Winfield

Winfield Legend of the Hearth

I think this design is very useful. I see many scenes within the scene here... neighborhoods, geometric areas, docks, etc. This is the idea of "parcels" or "several parcels" that could be fit together to make smaller and larger scenes.

Below is a copy of Blake's map with simple circles around areas that might be templates in their own right as hamlets, villages, etc. I don't know how the developers could/would take these ideas and build them into Unity or Unity 5 for different variations to make several templates. But these kinds of ideas from us are the starting points, I hope.

[​IMG]

Well done Blake! Thanks!

19. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

This was my first go around with a designing program. So here's the first thoughts on Tenakill, a borough of PaxLair, current thinking has this as a PVP enabled area of PaxLair.

This is holdfast size, 4 town lots, 13 village. Biome will be similar to PaxLair., woods, grasslands. One gets to Tenakill via a cave/tunnel in PaxLair City that leads to a secluded valley. We will have a similar entrance to PaxLair's other borough of Lockbrier

2 bridges any style, ruins littered across the area, couple of fields & lakes

Buildings with white roofs are town size, all others are village sized lots. I have not added the NPC building as of yet.

[​IMG]

Some ruins from SOTA

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Will update along the way.

20. Noctiflora

Noctiflora Avatar

Uttering Tenakill and pvp in the same sentence!?! Blasphemy! Sacrilege! hehe. j/k. Sorry, I just couldn't resist.

It's looking good Sean. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.