1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Player Owned Towns Update: Scope, NPC Buildings, Icons, etc.

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Mar 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Right, it seems like it would be relatively easy to sell this as an upgrade in the add-on store.

All base towns start with Humans. But if you want undead or elves or something, you just upgrade your package.

2. Arradin

Arradin Avatar

If you own the smallest pot , it will only have room for one NPC building, yes.

And i dont know what you mean by the second question, as i think you missunderstand... What would you buy, and why?

You can only have one building, and all of the availible buildings are there for you to pick free of charge... WHY on earth would you want to buy more that you cant use!?

Isaiah likes this.
  3. James T. Cook

James T. Cook Avatar

another good one. Considering towns have the option to enable PvP etc... is there anything preventing a town from having mixed races?

So could somebody create a buccaneers den type town that has kobolds, dark elves, and possibly higher order undead as NPCs to go along with a dangerous town theme?

4. Drocis the Devious

I wouldn't mind sacrificing residential space for an NPC building.

I do realize there's a balance issue with this. We don't want a Holdfast to have Metropolis like services.

5. Arradin

Arradin Avatar

As i understand it, the PoTs will be made out of generic templates, and those templates only allow for 15 buildings... So i would think thats a NO.

6. Arradin

Arradin Avatar

Refering to the other post i just quoted you in - PoTs are made out of pre-set templates that only allow for X amount of NPC buildings, and would require customization they cant do in order to fit more.

7. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

Thank you for using the Foundation option for town listing on the overland map!

Ronan likes this.
  8. James T. Cook

James T. Cook Avatar

What about having the ability to buy more NPCs in the addon store not buildings.

Say a person has a holdfast, but wants to make it a battle encampment theme. If there was an option to buy roaming/posted guards as an addon that might be interesting.

Guards don't really sell more stuff, and they don't talk a lot. They just patrol the town.

9. Drocis the Devious

I totally understand what you're saying. Two things though:

1. I think towns START with templates and the developers try to work with you within that framework. So I don't think every town is going to look the same - no one wants that. If they have to move a building around here or there, I don't think they're opposed to that. Note the OP where they said they didn't even discuss templates yet.

2. The OP states that monuments can be put in the center of town or elsewhere, hinting perhaps that there is more flexibility than just "you're going to put the monument here and like it".

10. OoOo lollie oOOo

OoOo lollie oOOo Avatar

That might be seen as p2w (though I like the idea myself, buying any NPC seems awesome), because from what I've read they are going to add periodic attacks on towns and villages from hoards of mobs. If you could just buy extra firepower and defenses based on how much money you had...

11. Drocis the Devious

That's a valid concern. But what I don't like is having to sacrifice trade for security, or vice versa.

If there's a max building or guard count, then every "guard tower" you have is a "Shop" you don't have, and vice versa. So having some flexibility to add more buildings or npc is really something I hope we can balance out.

James T. Cook [MGT] and lollie like this.
  12. OoOo lollie oOOo

OoOo lollie oOOo Avatar

I was just thinking that - seems every town should come with a set amount of guards and guard towers as default, and just let the PoT owner concentrate on commerce.

13. James T. Cook

James T. Cook Avatar

What if the guards are hired from the "royal guard" or some particular set of guards that are not under the rulership of the town owner? These guards could be neutral to any PvP situations.

Therefore if anybody starts a fight in your town that player gets attacked by the guards because they are trouble makers. Sure the people may be flagged for PvP, that's fine, but we want law and order in our town so we hired Lord British's guard to come patrol our town because we want to be more civilized here. (Personally I think that is more fun than just having a no PvP option).

14. Drocis the Devious

That's probably a smart move.

I know you don't care, but I would then have the same questions related to PVP towns.

James T. Cook [MGT] and lollie like this.
  15. Arradin

Arradin Avatar

You are absolutely right! Didnt think of it that way.

But if that is the case, i think NPC building should be free of charge, and we should approach the issue that way.

if a pot owner want to sacrifice House lots for npc buildings, i dont see a single reason why not?

16. Drocis the Devious

I was hoping to have a "guard house" building that has 20 or 30 guards in it that would patrol your town and keep the peace. That seems a lot better to me than 2 in a tower. Although the tower may have functional advantages too.

lollie likes this.
  17. OoOo lollie oOOo

OoOo lollie oOOo Avatar

I think I would prefer the game supplying us with NPC guards, all at default levels for the town, and then when attacks happen it's up to the members of that town and any interested passers by to come help defend the town.

Just to avoid any chance of p2w mechanics seeping in.

Lord Blake Blackstone likes this.
  18. Drocis the Devious

Here's another question regarding NPC buildings.

Why do you want shops? They're just gold sinks. So the money in your town spent on NPC Shops is just going to be flushed down the toilet. Instead, you'd want all that money to stay in your town and goto your player vendors.

I understand why the DEVS want NPC shops, to help stabilize and control the economy, but players shouldn't want them, imo. It seems to me the player town that has as few NPC's as possible will do better economically.

As much as I'd like to help the devs with the macro economy, players are not stupid and will eventually realize that having NPC shops in town are just a drain on their local commerce. So we need to think of a better more compelling value that NPC shops can provide.

Lord Blake Blackstone likes this.
  19. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

With the mention of both combat and crafting 'blessings' I'm specifically opposed to both. I don't like the idea of blessings in general both those two specifically are asking for trouble. It sounds rather like innate skills that everyone much have to remain competitive because everyone else would have them too. Are players going to feel like they need to go get their blessing before going out to adventure, PvP or do some crafting? I don't want to feel like I'm forced to jump through a tedious hoop every day I play just to be at the same level as everyone else jumping through that same hoop.

It's a little annoying also that small towns have to chose between a gimmick intended to drive traffic and what limited number of spots for NPC buildings they have. (Yes it still feels like a gimmick to me without more info).

20. James T. Cook

James T. Cook Avatar

In normal NPC towns empty lots usually have some kind of placeholder house. What if they could allow POT owners to fill lots with their choice of placeholder, and possibly include the option of adding an appropriately sized NPC building (not npcs) to fill that lot.

Acred and lollie like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.