1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Player Owned Towns Update: Scope, NPC Buildings, Icons, etc.

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Mar 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

good catch. fixed. thanks!

2. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

Would it work to have a guild owned lot in a POT for player owned vendors and not use up an NPC space?
    Rift's End was thinking of setting aside a city lot for this purpose with NPC's around it (I know we are in a dream land and that we will have templates to choose from that may not be exactly what we want).
    It would also be nice to put the guild stone on this lot as well...
    Will lot permissions include player vendors in the future so that all kindred can place vendors on any given lot?

3. Xenar

Xenar Avatar

Will we be able to get some water lots in PoTs? Specifically, we want fresh water access, lake or river in a forest biome. I specially want to have an island keep lot in our PoT.

Kvow has done an excellent job depicting Rifts End, the diagram is present in the PoT threads. Feel free to base a template on his beautiful work.

Isaiah and steanne like this.
  4. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Darkstarr, if you can, what are the plans for having Central Markets rather than forcing players to travel from lot to lot searching for vendors? I know such a feature was talked about in both the Kickstarter and in conjunction with PoTs. Also, such an option will be needed for those choosing Row Houses.

Acred likes this.
  5. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

Just had a thought.
    Description says "central square with X NPC buildings"

So if I get dragon bones as a monument they're sitting in my central square?

majoria70 likes this.
  6. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

I like to think that is due to my constant complaining that i can't drag the dragon skull back to my front lawn. :D

Tahru, Sean Silverfoot and majoria70 like this.
  7. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

if there will be brewing in the game, as a lesser craft (not a primary), will the taverns or the cooking shops have the brewing supplies for sale?

i ask, because a lot of tavern owners did their own brewing for the most part, and it would just make sense to have them sell the recipes tools and supplies.

8. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    Pizza Chips and Jerky! OH and Beer recipes :p

9. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

ummmm, I think I'll pass on your jerky, no offense meant. It looks rather fresh.

10. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

@DarkStarr

Thanks for taking the time to plan out POT's more and share the information. It is really starting to shape up.

11. tekkamansoul

tekkamansoul Avatar

I want nothing to do with player-owned towns.

I don't even want them showing up on my world map.

Can we get an option to disable them, please?

12. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

While I completely respect you right to object, I must say I'm curious as to your reasons. Would you care to share?

13. tekkamansoul

tekkamansoul Avatar

Sure.
    I don't mind the concept of player owned towns. I encourage other people to enjoy their ultimate housing dream, or what have you. Hats off to the devs, etc.

They have no place in a single player RPG. They will not contribute to the game's plot. If playing single player offline, I will not see them, and the game experience will barely change.

In my experiences in the past few releases, things would go something like this:
    -Explore world map
    -Say "Woah! a new town!"
    -Enter feelings of excitement as I load up the newly added content, eager to meet new NPCs and possibly get new quests and items
    -Mostly empty scene loads
    -Confused, search around, only find one NPC called a "Town Crier", and a couple houses
    -Realize its yet another player town and run out, having wasted my time

I've been advocating for at the very least a way to mark player-owned towns on the map so I don't have to google the town name before I load in to even see if it's worth my time but I'm pretty sure this isn't a priority on the schedule :p

I don't want you guys to not have your toys, but I don't want those toys cluttering up every inch of my floor.

14. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Thank you, Tekkamansoul.

Archibald Leatherneck and Ronan like this.
  15. graylake21

graylake21 Avatar

I actually like that idea of denoting player town; or something to that effect, since really, if it's not story-related; my venture there is kind of meaningless.

Archibald Leatherneck likes this.
  16. tekkamansoul

tekkamansoul Avatar

I do appreciate adding NPC shops and "blessings", but at the end of the day isn't a very visible indicator of what is a PoT and what isn't the best idea? Especially if for whatever reason hiding them in online play will never be an option?

Archibald Leatherneck likes this.
  17. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

Well first they encourage everyone to play at least single player online, RG's been pretty clear on that.
    Second you should at least download updates every so often so you can see player made changes.

But to your main point. A player holdfast will be no different then a NPC holdfast. Towns and Cities will be different but that's just diversity. I don't remember if they said there would be a difference the way POTs and NPC towns would be notated on the overland map.
    Content wise POTs won't have quests but every POT will have a mystery upon entering, what crafting specialty will they have, will there be interesting monuments or stores nearby? We haven't seen the POT templates yet but they should vary design from your usual NPC town.
    Mine will be one of the guild homes. But it will also be open to non-guild member as well. Others are planning unique sounding scenes template and Portalarium allowing.
    But POTs will bring some diversity and different from the norm stuff.

Sean Silverfoot likes this.
  18. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

i love how you put that. very appropriate.

and our toys won't be an issue on your floor in single player offline. PoTs don't exist in that experience. - if you play single player online, they will, and NPC's will be assigned to the homes. i'd like to assume that they can also give you quests and make that experience richer for you.

19. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I've had a concern about "dead towns" for quite some time now. Even before the "player owned" versions existed.

I've written quite a few posts about having dynamic events that would lure traffic into towns. I think blessings are a good idea. But I don't understand why NPC shops are, when players make the best items.

I think traveling NPC merchants (that sell a collection of player made stuff from far away) and NPC entertainers are a great way to get people into POTS they otherwise would never care about. I'm sure I have and could think of other ideas, but I think the devs said in the postmortem that they're still thinking of things - and that's the biggest part of all this, they understand the potential problem and are looking for fix it.

Tahru likes this.
  20. Elgarion

Elgarion Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

I believe the success of player owned towns hinges upon the communities residing within. Role-players, explorers, adventurers returning home from arduous journies... Seeking rest or resupply... Seeking the laughter of friends or the embrace of loved ones... Tales spun by the tavern fire or the hearths of hovels and manors. If the communities within are not enchanted by the magic their town provides, and its members do not strive to create and push the limits of their imaginations, then the towns will suffer.

In my opinion, any mechanics helping us share our stories and to express the uniqueness of the community... Tales of the town, it's Inhabitants, of how this community affects the surrounding lands... A sense that our stories are heard even if only within our own city walls... These things are paramount to the success of this system. Please help us to have tools which allow us to create and share. Stories, rumors, quests, anything that inspires immersion and triggers for role-play. My two cents :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.