Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Old overworld map vs new maps: some thoughts

Discussion in 'Release 15 Feedback' started by Steevodeevo, Mar 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steevodeevo

Steevodeevo Avatar

The new maps are pretty, but confusing, off-road, its hard to see where you can expect travel access and where not. The roads themselves are harder to spot and follow. Also, unless I have a colour perception issue, the new maps are too green saturated.

There's been so much positive stuff said about the new over world maps, and they are intricate and impressive eye candy, but frankly right now I prefer the old ones from a practical travel perspective.

2. Carlin the Druid Archer

Carlin the Druid Archer Avatar

Arrgh. I have to disagree strongly. I love the direction the over world maps are taking. They do need lots of work life adding animals encounters etc

4EverLost and Montaigne like this.
  3. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

Well, there doesn't appear to be any rhyme or reason to certain area's travel speed restrictions. I will slow down on plains and bridges, and run through forests.

If there was an easier way to report on it, I would, but I guess I'll just settle for standing in the middle of strange areas of unpredictable travel restrictions to make a bug report.

One area that needs clearer travel distinction is the area around and including the Celestial Wetlands

4. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

One option is to take a screen shot and paste it in paint and circle ares that aren't right...not perfect but a start.

Totally prefer the new maps.

Miracle Dragon and Net like this.
  5. redfish

redfish Avatar

I think there are good things about the new map style, and good things about the old map style.

6. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Way to sit on the fence;)

redfish likes this.
  7. redfish

redfish Avatar

:D

Actually, though, my honest opinion. I was going to make a post about it, but I was sitting on my hands a bit since a lot of people seem to enjoy the new map.

Net likes this.
  8. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I was teasin, but there things I liked too....I still want moving monsters, animals, weather etc.

I also want to see pop ups for cities, a circle with a picture of the city and a brief write up.

4EverLost, Lord Baldrith and Net like this.
  9. Net

Net Avatar

Well I have few issues with the new maps.

1) I would prefer if rivers or mountains could be crossed (but with very low speed). If you get from official map, you can climb on hills and the view is amazing!
    2) The map does not work like a map. I do not know where I am, I do not know where my goal is, I do not see if the path I am taking will be blovked by rivers or mountains... I would need map on the map:D Since I know most locations by now, it is only a small issue, but new palyers will be lost for ages on the Novia map. How will you find your way from Ardoris to Spectral Mines? It does not work like a map.3) The view is artificially limited. I want to lower my camera to see more into distance. The way it is, it is hard to see much or get cool view...
    4) When I die and appear on the map I am stuck in combat, I cannot use light and when I get stuck, I cannot use /stuck command. Really annoying.
    5) It is hard to see where you will be slowed down. Sometimes it is hard to see where you will be blocked...
    6) What is the point of runic names if there is English Translation?

I like a few things about it, the visuals are cool, seeing other players is a nice touch. Overall I think it can use more work.

10. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I think it's counterintuitive to look at as a map in the literal sense, think more of it as a different scale of exploration.

Malchor1 likes this.
  11. smack

smack Avatar

Not just you -- I also think the over world is too green.

And I agree about the roads. If they are well travelled paths, they should also be well worn paths from all kinds of traffic.

Aegis159, Vermine and steanne like this.
  12. Aegis159

Aegis159 Avatar

I agree, the default camera view needs to be yellow/green shifted some... it's too "warm" overall.

13. chrisvoeg

chrisvoeg Avatar

Yeah finding things on long stupid winding roads through meticulously linear swamps...thats not fun or engaging. Its tedious.

14. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

I think places we can walk vs. places we can run vs. places we can't go, should be visually presented much more clearly on the overworld map.

It's too bad that the pathing can't be controlled by the graphics themselves, so if they put in a road, then you''ll automatically run on it, if they put in a cliff face or steep bank, then you automatically can't pass it.. etc.

Also, the swamp needs bridges where you can cross, so we don't spend all day hitting invisible walls trying to find the 'magical' way across it. that's not fun.

In the long run, invisible walls need to be eliminated entirely, not just on the overland, but in the scenes as well.
    Forest borders need trees with collision rather than invisible walls 4 feet in front of those trees.
    Mountain borders need collision as well, too steep to climb or jump.

For water borders I'd prefer drowning or dangerous sharks/krakken out there ready to kill you if you don't turn back. Make the 'dangerous water' much darker than the 'safe water' and that would work fine.
    Alternatively, the water could have a strong current, All rivers should definitely have a current that you can or can't swim against, depending on the size, speed, or weather conditions/season. This could be utilized as easily on the overland map too.
    Oh, and trying to swim through swamp water should cause poisoning! (unless wearing special swamp-gear)

15. sammakonkorvat

sammakonkorvat Avatar

I agree on the need to have clarity on what is not passable territory and overall smoothness improvements when traveling. The swamp area (like a few of you mentioned) is currently a nightmare.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.