Transfer of save files

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by High Baron Asguard, Jul 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. High Baron Asguard

High Baron Asguard Avatar

I don't know where this should go as there is no "other" spot

I also don't know if this is technically possible but I hope so

Is there some way you could make transferring the save files for offline only fairly easy, reason I ask is I play between a laptop and desktop and I would prefer to be able to play the same character on both so I need some way to transfer that character one to the other.

Namodias likes this.
  2. Namodias

Namodias Avatar

hmm now that you bring this issue up this will affect me to as sometimes I am able to bring my laptop to work and could play and then when I am home I would prefer to use my desktop. I wonder if they will have a way for us to work through this?

3. Dame Lori

Dame Lori Avatar

Are there saved games? I was under the impression that, if you are an online character, you can play offline if you lose connection for a short while (there will be limits how far you can progress while offline) but I don't see how "save files" are possible in a persistent world. Have they said otherwise? I assume if you have a laptop and desktop and they are both online, when you log in you will be where you left off. I'm not seeing how you can load up the game starting offline though.

4. High Baron Asguard

Im talking about the always offline character, not the online one. I assume for the online one it would be like Diablo where you just log in as yourself and there is your character but obviously that's not how the always offline is going to work

5. Zigmalion

Zigmalion Avatar

I wasn't really under the impression that we need to "save" progress like in the old single-player Ultima games. These are worlds where what you do, what you loot, what you make are all stored server-side. As a result for the most part I don't think the core game will care what machine you are on. Now if there are things like macros and add-ons at some point, those are sometimes stored on the local client and might need to be copied over (such as WoW add-ons and UO macros, for example). Or, perhaps, if there is a local file of saved progress for offline play which gets "synced" the next time you are in online mode. But that would surely have limits anyway.

6. Dame Lori

Dame Lori Avatar

Whoops sorry, missed the "only" part in your post. :confused:

7. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

We're talking offline here.. exclusively offline. It would have to be saved locally in some manner of fashion... in which case there is always a way. The question is.. will that way be built into the game design or not. . Would there be a single save file you can simply copy from one machine to the next.. or would it be a collection of world files depending on where everything is saved.

8. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

You could try making the save file in a dropbox folder lol. Other wise I'd say if the game supports it Steam Cloud Game Saves basically does what you want for you. I would be very surprised if the game doesn't fully support steam and the Cloud Game Saves feature.

9. High Baron Asguard

Offline version has to be DRM free so though I wouldn't mind if they could use steam to transfer my files so I could play it on both and then just use the laptop only with no steam connection when say I'm camping I don't know if that would be compatible with what they have promised

10. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

Well more than likely they will have a Steam version and Steam games can be DRM free and even opened without the use of Steam however you would obviously need an internet connection to transfer cloud saves to steam's servers and if you actually used steam as opposed to launching the game externally there is an offline mode in steam you can use.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.