Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Lost

Discussion in 'Release 16 Feedback' started by Poor game design, Mar 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I get lost on the Novia map all the time now. I honestly don't know if I'll ever return to a landmark or a place that I want to be again. There are a number of reasons for this, I'll list them...

1. There's no way to pan the camera over the horizon. Therefore, I can't see landmarks, I can't see if this is the direction I want to go, I can't tell if I've already been to this same place several times until I get there. It's HIGHLY frustrating. (This is the #1 culprit - please fix yesterday. This was asked for by multiple people in R15 - just sayin) :)

2. Random encounters deposit you in the direction you left the hex. But because you're no longer on the overland map and you're in a miniature scene, your perspective is completely gone. So you are immediately lost upon exiting most scenes for no real reason.

3. If you use /stuck, you're deposited in an area OFF ROAD where you don't really know where you are. So now you're like double lost.

4. If you /zone to your home, that's great. But then when you exit your home you're immediately put back to the area you were in when you /zoned and guess what, you're lost again.

5. There's no freakin map (that I'm aware of) to the overland map. Unless you count the map image created by Stephen when I proudly use as my desktop wallpaper. But here's the kicker, the overland map is only vaguely similar to this map and the proportions and landmarks are all "off", leading one to think they would logically be headed to the Spectral Mines, but somehow end up in the Graff Mines. Grrrr, arrrgh....

:( Black Smoke Monster please come and take me off this island of madness.

The only thing I can seem to find reliably is Blackbone Pass. It's like I'm watching that movie where Chevy Chase is saying "Look kid's there's Big Ben!"

2. 4EverLost

4EverLost Avatar

Now, now, my Lord Baron. It's still an island, after all. If you walk long enough and far enough, you'll eventually reach your destination. Even if you're going in the wrong direction. Because even a wrong direction will eventually be right if you end up where you want to go. You're just taking a bit of a scenic route:D.

At least, that's what I always tell myself.:p

3. Drocis the Devious

If I could JUST....PAN.....UP....OMG this would not be happening.

If I could just bend the screen UP just a bit...just a smidge...

4. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

I would say "use your compass" and stop turning in circles... Zoom out, it let's you see farther... Remember, it's all new, so remember where you are... The more you walk around, the more you'll remember...

5. Drocis the Devious

I'm out of there, but it took forever. I'm zoomed out all the way. I have been using my compass. Perhaps it's just me. Regardless, just me would like to see over the horizon in R17.

6. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Honestly I'm not really sure what I want to say to all this but while I understand wanting to see farther I don't really see it as a necessity. But then I've never gotten truly lost. Walked down the wrong road a couple times but always had a vague idea where I was and what direction I was going in.

Maps are planned. Starr confirmed that just today I believe.

I agree that the game isn't tracking your position on the map between transitions very well. The issue with /zone isn't new and I've ended up in all sorts of weird places walking out of my town. Though I've never gotten lost doing that.. but then I wasn't lost when I zoned either.

7. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

Only Perennial Coast and Grunvald have any marked locations in any kind of density so if you wander out of them then it will indeed be VERY difficult to navigate because there are no reference points. This should slowly improve as we add more content but will consider other solutions as well.

Heradite, Abydos, Arianna and 7 others like this.
  8. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Yeah I actually felt this quite a bit too. As I played I felt like I wanted to keep scrolling up so I can see the horizon. So I guess others are having the same experience. I wouldn't mind if the horizon was a bit hazy in the distance as long as I had the option to see straight and look up at mountains etc.

Otherwise I think everything is great.

9. Karuson

Karuson Avatar

There's A Map IN The DEV+ fourms Study The Map A Bit And U Will learn

10. Drocis the Devious

Thank you. I posted the OP in the middle of my rage. So it's a bit pointed. :)

I have since taken a break, eaten dinner, and watching Notre Dame surprise me with a win to get to the Elite 8 of the NCAA tournament, so now I'm in a much better mood. I think just having a map that does show landmarks would be a good start if allowing the panning of the camera further would be a lot of work.

11. Drocis the Devious

I have that same map on my Desktop, I've been playing the game since the beginning, I understand the lore and watching/read everything there is to know about this game. If it's confusing for me, I'm not the only one.

12. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

I'm just happy the overland map is big enough to get lost in.
    If it takes some time to grow accustomed to it, all the better, because if we all are able to navigate it easily from the beginning, where's the learning curve for exploration?
    Combat shouldn't be easy to accomplish right out the gate, and neither should traveling, in my opinion.
    I'm with you in that I often try to see the horizon, but it is a map, so being restricted to more of a top-down view makes sense, it just takes some getting used to.
    As the landmarks are put in, and we get familiar with those places because we've visited them all, the overland will become second nature.

Oh, maybe there could be one change. With GPS in my car, some prefer to have it set to make what is in front of you at the top of the screen, so the map turns when you turn. I, however, prefer North to always be up, since it is a map. perhaps the overland would do well to have a toggle, where you could choose to have North always up while you walk around on it?? That shouldn't be so hard to add.

13. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I think a compass that you could buy could help...if you know which way is north it will be a lot easier.

14. Drocis the Devious

There's a built in compass on the screen if you press M.

I don't want to sound lazy about this, but it hurts my head, knowing where I wan to go on the "map" but not really being able to see for long distances on the overland map. It's really like the long range vision is just way off.

I feels like I can't move my neck up to see the sky (and the horizon) and it pains me. It's like I never know where I'm going other than "North" for example. When normally when you walk somewhere you're focused on an objective. Like you'll walk out of a store and say, I need to go find my car "over there". But in this game you wouldn't be able to see "over there" you'd just see like the beginning of the parking lot and you'd know you were going "North" and maybe you wanted to get North East, but then you take a wrong turn and realize you can't get to North East from here, you have to go "somewhere else" first, but you won't know where that is until you get there.

:) It's all very frustrating for me. I felt like this in R15 too, but more so now that the map has expanded and there are no landmarks in some of the areas.

15. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Seems a bit odd to me to complain about only being able to see a few hundred miles and then compare it to a few meters and not being able to remember when you parked. Does your car have a cloaking device or something?

Spoon likes this.
  16. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

I do agree that it would be nice to see further toward the horizon. You can be right beside a major landmark, something like Blackblade lava pits, and not even realize it.

As has been mentioned there are maps out there other than Stephan's map. I find them quite helpful and some are well done and include the major pathways.

17. Drocis the Devious

I'm a little person on a giant map. My sense of direction is awkward. I think the compass works great for normal point of view, but loses effectiveness when you have to make choice between 3 paths that go off into the horizon that you can't see. At least when you're inside a scene you can make judgement calls based on what you're seeing in front of you. On the overland map you're basically just wasting time because you can't see farther than your screen allows. There's no perspective.

18. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I think I would find it quote the opposite. I go into a scene and wonder around it's easy to lose sight of where you are. Just because you can see a landmark in the middle of the scene doesn't show you were the exists are.

The map I know. I've a fair sense of where everything is supposed to be. I don't need to see that far around to know where I am.

Everything is a landmark is you know to look for it.

19. Karuson

Karuson Avatar

Lol I have to admit I was lost but following the main roads I found my way. There's only 3 right turns in the road that lead to a deadend. Go left and it's a loop. Just think of the number 8 with ardorius at the bottom and 3 or 4 right turns at the top loop

20. Greymarch

Greymarch Avatar

I'm finding it very easy to get turned around in Midmaer for some reason.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.