PaxLair Player Owned Town Scene Design and Test

Discussion in 'Player Owned Towns' started by Winfield, Mar 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gaelis

Gaelis Avatar

PlayerTown Meeting in Valemark :)

[​IMG]

Sophi, One Zero, Mata and 7 others like this.
  2. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

Yes that's a moon tower. We went with it because we have a lot of Avatars Radio fans, it makes sense for us. We're not too worried about blessings for now because,
    A) no clue what they are yet.
    B) By design PaxLair will not qualify in E1
    C) On either side you can see the other monument choices
    D) We'll probably change one of the NPC buildings out for a "Bell Tower".

Oh , add a "Bell Tower" to the list.

3. Gubbles

Gubbles Avatar

@Winfield, have you from the dev team about the feasibility of your fishing pond? I'd love one as well, but I was/am thinking it may suffer the same fate as resource nodes. That is to say, not allowed in POTs due to exploit concerns.

Thanks Winfield and everyone involved in the POT discussion. I haven't been able to spend a lot of time participating on the forums or in game the last couple of months, and it's nice to find threads like this.

4. Gubbles

Gubbles Avatar

Has anyone brought up the idea that a POT adjacent to an NPC zone might have direct access to it from the POT zone (bypassing overworld map) in the same way POTs are connected?

5. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

What do Moon Towers do? Broadcast Avatar Radio?

What's a Bell Tower do? (is there anything else we could add to the list?)

6. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

In lieu of a Bell Tower, a giant Warhorn.

Abydos and Sean Silverfoot like this.
  7. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

If I have this correctly Moon Towers are one of the power systems of Novia along with wind and water. Each moon tower has near it a generating station with an engineer type fellow there who will ask you for silver to help generate the power, for which he gives you some gold if I remember.

The Tesla like system power the guard fence, as in Owl's Head. It also power the Aetheral Radio which features Avatars Radio.

I'm sure someone more up on that lore will correct me.

A bell tower, think tall clock tower, no clock but a bell. Used to warn of danger, etc.

We didn't ask for it, was told it was coming, it fit our vision, so we opt in.

Don't know if other things are on that list or if they are taking suggestions. I will attempt to find out.

8. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

I like that seems it would fit nicely up in the Norgard area!

9. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Thanks, Sean. I have a few months left before I'll probably have to make a decision for my POT. But I'll be planning non-stop between now and then so every piece of information helps.

Sean Silverfoot likes this.
  10. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

Absolutely! Twasn't long ago, we too were starved for information. May we now feast on it!

11. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

Given the talk of a music system going in, and bell towers in the works..

and the stars align...

Possible carillon or colliope in structures?

12. Winfield

Winfield Legend of the Hearth

There are a few things that we might be able to do with the Metropolis Template as the developers decide what is most feasible, reasonable, etc. These options are pretty exciting:
    • Different sized PoTs purchase "lot space", not necessarily "land/scene space". The PaxLair Metropolis scene is 1 square km roughly and has a lot of "flat spots" of City Lot size for housing to be sub-divided into smaller houses by different PoT owners, thus tailoring the design request for each PoT owner, while the PaxLair scene is the basis.
      • So given all the available lot positions in the PaxLair template, a Holdfast owner might say "I want the PaxLair template, and I want my XYZ houses (up to the number/size of a holdfast) to be in the Darkridge and Downtown areas.
      • A Village owner might say, "I want to use the PaxLair template as a PVP scene, two city lots against each other on opposing sides on the facing mountains, and a bunch of smaller houses in the middle where the NPC buildings are to defend, destroy, have urban warfare, etc."
      • Essentially, at ground level, every re-use of the PaxLair scene will likely feel and look very different (different houses, different lots allocated in different sections, the scene turned 90 degrees (maybe flipped too) or a section carved off so it won't have water).
    • Choose a portion of the PaxLair template and chop off the rest (delete the rest of the area), for example you may like the Stonehill, Ridgecrest, and Rockville area with waterfall. Working with the Devs, they would need to move the NPC buildings to the center of that area on Highland Street somewhere. Therefore, the PaxLair scene could be "cropped into pieces". I don't know if several chunks could be re-arranged and combined though, as that is like building another scene.

THE PAXLAIR TEMPLATE:

What really is the PaxLair template?

The following image can help with how the PaxLair template can be used and re-used. We added MANY MORE CITY LOTS onto the scene than we could possibly use for a metropolis. Thus, the intent is those will be pre-surveyed and flattened locations. Also, MANY MORE WATER LOTS than we could use.

Then, the PoT owner chops up those City Lots into smaller lots in a "snap to grid" fashion, not random rotation within the city lot space. You don't have to use all the space in a City lot, so one could be used for a village lot, or a few row houses. 4 City lots can be combined for a Castle, or 2 for a Duke Keep.

See the following image - it is the overall PaxLair Template.

[​IMG]
    The PaxLair Template - City Lots and Water Lots
    (to be subdivided into smaller or combined into larger lots)

Looking at the above, you could have three castles! You could have City vs City in one scene for PVP with choke points. You could just want a nice port atmosphere with docks and an island.

So our PaxLair request then divided up/combined the lots to make our final request version. Below is the version with the RED City Lots / YELLOW/GREY Water Lots, and the final BLUE PaxLair chosen lots of various sizes. See that we did not use some of the City lots and water lots at all. They will just be flat areas, and some minor straight space on the lake/water shore if not used. At least, this is my understanding working with the Devs on this idea and construction.

[​IMG]
    PaxLair blue lot selections
    inside the Template Red City Lots and Yellow/Grey Water Lots.

And here is the final result without a lot of labeling:

[​IMG]
    PaxLair Metropolis design after using the Template to request specific lot locations.

We can talk more about this and some of the mechanical limitations and tradeoffs. I wanted to get this part of the "design approach/method" out for everyone to see.

As I learn more about the process, I will reveal what I know. The main "submission process" will be designed a bit in parallel with the PaxLair scene test, and PaxLair data will be "rewound" in R18 to help test the submission process I think.

However, anything like selection priorities for PoTs, or when/how more template builds will be done, I don't know. The Devs told me they need to see how this Test goes first and then things will become more apparent to them and everyone else on how to proceed next.

While we plan on the "real PaxLair role-playing history" to be born only starting in Episode 1 by all the citizens, residents, visitors, new allies, etc., the pre-Alpha non-RPed creation of PaxLair is probably worthy of news, scribes, videos, etc. The roll-out in the pre-Alpha will probably not be "role-played".

We DO want the roll-out to be fun for everyone in New Britannia -- not limited to current PaxLair people. We will be allocating a lot of lots, maybe all of them! We want plenty of Twitch and YouTube, and whatever helps people get a feel for a PoT scene. So we will do all we can to have events, we will "test" some RPing, see if the Devs can throw the PVP switch on for a weekend to see what happens (if that is possible), etc. Who knows!

We will test permissions, allocate lots, kick people out of all sorts of lots (even my castle) to see what happens to their stuff, and do whatever our community needs to do to beat up on the PaxLair scene for the Devs in R17.

I personally lack the resources to chronicle this journey going into R17 and through R17. So this can also be a "test" for all the reporters, video makers, twitchers, writers, community web locations, etc. to create some buzz, get it on Steam, get more people to become SotA backers, and more.

N14 is a Moon Tower. We don't know what it does yet, but we think it will power out town. Here is our list of NPC houses. We also will work on scripts for the NPC dialogues too and will go through that process here.

N1 Tavern: Bartender & Customer
    N2 Fishing Shop: Fishing Merchant
    N3 Cooking Shop: Cooking Merchant (assorted cooking recipes and cooking ingredients)
    N4 Bank: Banker & Guard
    N5 Magic Shop: Magic Merchant (assorted reagents, wands, staves, potions, cloth armor, etc.)
    N6 Combat Shop: Combat Merchant (assorted weapons & armor)
    N7 Home Shop: Homes Merchant & Decorations Merchant
    N8 Public Garden: Crafting Merchant
    N9 Stables: Pet Merchant plus some assorted farm animals
    N10 Guard Tower: 2 Guards (NOTE: These can be placed on perimeters of town, not just in the central square area)
    N11 Guild Shop: Guild Merchant
    N12 Cemetery: Caretaker/Merchant (assorted undead stuff like corpse wax)
    N13 Monument / Shrine - Titan Statues
    N14 Monument / Shrine - Moon Tower
    N15 Monument / Shrine - Oracle Statue

Thanks for all your comments and well wishes! We have chat sessions and in game sessions queued up, so keep an eye on the Calendars for the next 4 weeks. I will be out this coming Saturday on an Easter Egg hunt. But the Saturday PaxLair Working hours in game are always a good time for interested people to gather in Valemark. 9 AM Central US Time on Saturdays.

Dragonspeed!

13. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

Completely amazing. I am without words. Can i leave my guild and join us ? ..... Ah Nah , im the guild leader ... :D

I ll never miss an opportunity to be in your city for work or pleasure.

Thank you for your investment, you are a treasure to us all. GJ !

Gaelis, Themo Lock, Winfield and 2 others like this.
  14. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

Tenakill, a holdfast reusing a bit of the PaxLair Main scene. I cut the image out, rotated 180' then colored in some useless roads.

[​IMG]

15. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

*Tips hat to Winfield and the rest of PaxLair*

All of this sharing of information is amazing! Thank you, thank you, thank you.

This makes me almost want to cash in my holdfast (Dara Brae) and occupy a part of PaxLair (and call it the Duchy of Dara Brae, un-annexed from PaxLair of course). ;)

I look forward to how the process goes.

Sophi, Winfield, Gaelis and 2 others like this.
  16. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

Is this metaphorical? I've seen a few people mention cashing in their PoT's but there is no "convert to credits" option for towns. Not on my account anyway.

17. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Yes, metaphorical. :)

18. Xenar

Xenar Avatar

Thanks some more Winfield and Company. A great update! It is always exciting watching things like this come to fruition. It's great to see so much player based creativity being brought into the game in such a visible manner.

Themo Lock likes this.
  19. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

You can send an email to Portalarium to convert a POT to credits.

Abydos likes this.
  20. Winfield

Winfield Legend of the Hearth

We have had great discussions in game and in IRC the past two days. We will do that every week for the next 4 weeks, and more as desired.

Lots of great ideas in the PoT community. Impressive.

For PaxLair, I updated the BLUE lots on the RED and YELLOW template lots. In R17, we will invite in lots of people to fill up the lot spaces for testing. We will test the permission (allocate/kick) mechanics as best we can, and whatever else to help the Devs and the communities.

[​IMG]
    Updated lot subdivisions - April 2, 2015

Acred, Sophi, Leostemplar and 6 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.