Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

it seems quiet... too quiet...

Discussion in 'Release 16 Feedback' started by coder1024, Apr 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I feel that NPC towns sometimes feel lifeless because of circumstances. We aren't in a launched game scenario, we don't have all working quests and content in the game at this point, we don't have all possible features in the game at this point to bring us in. At this point we can only do what we can do to support the development of the game. So until we see more coming in, we all get to be creative for the liveliness feel of the game. Some options are say hello and get to know others, join in on events, contact the New Britania Theater Troupe and do a play, and soon you'll be able to write a book, or at least write in a book. Each release will get better and your feedback will help so much in that direction so thank you all for doing that. **cheers** :)

Ice Queen, Lord Baldrith and smack like this.
  2. Greymarch

Greymarch Avatar

I suppose more quests in towns would help as well, though those would still get exhausted fairly quickly.

smack and Lord Baldrith like this.
  3. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Filler-NPCs are anti-Ultima. Also every NPC would need a home where he goes to to sleep when the NPC schedules are introduced.

Xenolivar Woengus and Abydos like this.
  4. smack

smack Avatar

Not really. They don't all necessarily have to be quest NPCs or even live in the town, but are merely passing through. They just need that logic put in for one single type of NPC and it's basically ad-lib, but smartly done with AI.

5. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

The more NPCs are roaming around in a city, the harder it will be to find relevant NPCs. There will be no quest markers and I doubt that all or at least most NPCs will look different from each other, at least so different as to be able to recognize them by their looks.

6. warxnox

warxnox Avatar

I agree with that. I'm not sure that adding hundreds of NPC will make any difference.

I still think that the solution has to be found "player-side".

Finally, for those who think that those city with only a few NPC are too empty, just imagine that there is (like we did in RP shards) "invisible population" and that the NPC you can see are only the relevant one.

7. smack

smack Avatar

I think that's a good problem to have. It would push the devs to ensure NPCs are unique and identifiable, especially the ones we are supposed to care about.

I think you're still forgetting that there is the other half of the game: the single player offline (and online) experience. To say that players have to solve the lifeless NPC town problem is not the right solution. It can be one of the solutions, but it should not be the critical path.

rune_74 likes this.
  8. warxnox

warxnox Avatar

I have to admit your are right with that point !!

smack likes this.
  9. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

could be due to the fact that we know we will have to level grind again after R17 is released due to the wipe.

DavenRock [MGT] likes this.
  10. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

I was there, you didn't see me? Sorry I was in SPO, someones got to test it, right...

Spoon likes this.
  11. Lord Ravnos

Lord Ravnos Avatar

I'm hoping the devs will make a pass on customizing (making a bit more unique) the NPC's visuals a bit more before launch. Even just giving them appropriate uniforms, armor, etc, or perhaps different colors of armor/clothes to distinguish them a bit more from the rest of the crowd might be nice and make the city's feel a bit more vibrant. (if that's the mood they're going for)

smack and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  12. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

I haven't had much time lately to even play the game. Finals in 3 weeks, is keeping me busy, and my summer looks to be just as busy with taking another full course load, with even less time than a normal semester. I'm kind of glad I'm too busy to play at the moment though, because there's not much to do for me in game. By fall the game should be a bit more complete and give me more to do and I can play a bit and get ready for release :)

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  13. Sir Tiddles

Sir Tiddles Avatar

I'm not putting another penny into the game until I see:

1: far improved creature graphics
    2: living, breathing cities
    3: a far less generic feel and look to the game, remember, this is meant to be an ULTIMA-type game not some sloppy fan-written game.

dudina and Ice Queen like this.
  14. Lord Ravnos

Lord Ravnos Avatar

After revisiting Owl's Head for R16, I think Unity 5 overhaul did wonders for the overall lighting/textures, and giving all objects in the world more depth, even making colors pop more. Definitely addressed that drab/generic feeling I was getting with earlier builds, grats!

majoria70 likes this.
  15. Jocularis

Jocularis Avatar

First fix the Journal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.