Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

PvP Community FEEDBACK !

Discussion in 'Release 16 Feedback' started by Abydos, Apr 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

Hail Avatars,

First, let me say that I have not done much PvP in the R16. I am only lvl 44 and I am not well equipped. However, I am PvP player. I play PvP games since .... always ....

I make this post to say how impressed I am. I am impressed by the number people I've met who wants SotA is a great pvp game. There are a lot of Ancier UO players who want to PvP. I met Pk's and anti-Pk, some competitive players.

Unfortunately, many complain. Personally, I am very comfortable with the direction taken by Portalarium. We are in pre alpha and I know PvP is still in development. PvP events, tournaments are very pleasant but the PvP community will need much more. Really much more. We need savage and wild PvP. PvP Dungeons and PvP Mysterious places. There is a demand. Unmet needs. An infinite need for blood and unlimited fighting.

In my opinion, the most constraining points for the PvP Community are:

A- The PvP flag. Many do not like it. (Personally, I think it is a good compromise.)
    B- Many players want Full LooT. He said that their friends do not want to play a game without Full LooT.
    C- Lack of PvP area.

In short, I am amazed at the number of PvP players in SotA. There is a solid foundation. Fragile, but with a huge potential. But currently, many complain.

English is a second language for me, don't lawyer me broth !

Porta keep up the good work. We will succeed together.

Look at my signature BROTHA ! Since 97 ! :D

2. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

A+C are interconnected, if you flag then all areas are PvP.
    Also there are currently 2 PvP shardfalls and IIRC 3 PvP arenas. The problem lies in not enough player base yet to fill those areas with action.

B
    There will be some full loot.
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/full-loot-pvp-and-stuff.23066/
    "First, the current plan is that loot claimed within a scene will stay with your corpse until you leave that scene. "
    "Now for full loot announcement, we will have some scenes that are full loot."

3. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

An open PvP game with full loot and without the option to opt out of PvP that also sets to focus on story and quests will not work. No matter what others say. SotA would cater to a small but very vocal niche of gamers. It would alienate many players. You can see that in the discussions here and you can see it by how "successful" games with open PvP and full loot are - namely not very much.
    If Portalarium wants to create a niche game for a small group of players then they can do so but then they would risk that this group would get smaller and smaller over time with very few new players joining the game. Even EVE Online loses gamers with very few new ones joining. The subscriptions are steadily declining.
    I think that this would happen to SotA, too.
    Also people are not very happy if they are being forced to do things they don't want to do - namely participate in open PvP. Also open PvP always attracts those people who are just in the game to ruin the fun for others. Take a look at Pathfinder Online. Spawn-camping is ruining the game right now. People are defending this as it is part of open PvP but others are frustrated and give up on playing. And the question is: What game wants to frustrate players and scare them away?

I don't understand this need for open PvP fans to force others to become their prey? We have a PvP flag and this is the best compromise. I really don't understand why every player should be forced to do PvP...

4. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

LOL that's not what I heard him say, but is getting late here so it could just be me. I heard keep up the good work Portalarium.;)

5. Aenra

Aenra Avatar

They better have a huge amount of (their) money just waiting to be poured into SotA. Because if their wish gets granted..
    Well someone will have to pay for this game, and it won't be all the people abandoning ship now will it ^^

And this someone, unlike the typical PvP crowd going from title to title, will have to be someone that stays. Someone that stays even after Crowfall, Camelot Unchained, Repopulation, Gloria Victis and whichever other title is currently hotly anticipated gets launched. Do you see the issue now?
    There are greener pastures for the FFA PvP crowd. No one could count on them. There are no greener pastures for everyone else just begging for something qualitative, maturer and let us be honest, a touch less hormone-frenzy driven :)

6. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

I understand you and respect your opinion. But I do not agree with these stereotypical comments. :)

Ahuaeynjgkxs and Aenra like this.
  7. Aenra

Aenra Avatar

I agree;
    At first glance it may seem as if i am doing just that. Pidgeon-holing an entire group of people (a group neither homogenous nor easily categorised) into certain behavioural patterns. Which is indeed wrong, as a principle. Not because pan-Americana political correctness dictates so, but because it actually is so in accordance with my own standards. I am a grey colour type of person. I leave black and white to the ignorant :)

Now may we skip the theory and talk some good old practice? As it does tend to differ?
    Howsoever you may think (rightfully or otherwise) that you are an exception, history has shown me that like it or not, certain specific characteristics DO tend to become evident from said group of people. Pretty quick, and fairly often at that. Not my intention to imply that you are included among them, definitely not omniscient to declare that so it shall be in SotA as well.
    (but please, do yourself a favour and judge not from the current standards, community-wise. This is a closed pre-Alpha)

I go by experience. Just like everyone else. No intention to offend. Just being the usual me, 100% honest. One of the few, rare joys of the virtual world :)

Miracle Dragon, EMPstrike and Abydos like this.
  8. ilcontegis

ilcontegis Avatar

There is no PVP in SotA, at the moment we have "consensual duels"

PVP = full loot, stat/skill loss upon death if you are PK, PVP enabled everywhere with guards in cities, PK system.

Everything else is just talk...

Abydos likes this.
  9. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

I agree that SotA wouldn't work well as a full open PvP world the way they are setting it up (and based on the community that is helping steer the development of the game).

EvE might not be the best example to make your point tho, because it showed a fairly consistant climb of subscribers for 10 years. I dunno any details after 2013 because i cant find any, but ill assume that its probly fallen in the past 2 years.

in THAT particular world, which catered to the hardcore pvp niche, anyhing that made the game "more friendly" was greatly frowned upon and booed.

So darkmoon has a strong point about listening to what is being said on the forums because it is the crowd that this game is currently catering to.
    I also like the full hardcore experience that both old UO and EvE Offer ^^

But I think they are on the right track with how they are taking PvP and looting in this game, just have to see how it plays out over time.

It's only a sensitive subject because some hardcore anti-PvP folks get upset when you give them tempting Options (not requirments, jsut options) That give them a reason to venture into a pvp zone.
    And hardcore full-pentalty PvP folks get upset when there exists yet another option for folks who don't want to be attacked, to avoid it.

Sophi, KuBaTRiZeS, Abydos and 2 others like this.
  10. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Once again this is Slighted since what "WE hardcore anti-PvP folks" get upset about is when you try and LURE us into a play style that we don't want. What I mean is by putting items / resources in PvP lands that CANNOT be gotten elsewhere - i.e. UO Fel Champ Spawn. But since these are not going to happen here it really isn't much of an issue,

The HARDCORE PvPers have what they wanted in this game, places they can go helter skelter, have at it.

11. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

No, that is just your preferred version of PVP. PVP is actually any situation in which one player competes with other players. I am a PVP fan as well, have very much enjoyed a variety of games from runescape and ashen empires to darkfall, dayZ and others like WoW, warhammer and guildwars. SotA will never be full open world full loot combat but we will get more PVP zones and some of those zones will be full loot enabled. I do not PK but i will be in those zones with loot, feel free to try and take it from me.

Bambino, Sophi, Net and 4 others like this.
  12. Hraw

Hraw Avatar

This may be an oversimplification, but it seems some HARDCORE PvPers want an endless supply of soft targets to go after. Whether or not those targets like being targets is irrelevant to this group of predatory PvPers. This group does not have what it wants in this game.

Either way, for someone like myself who enjoys both PVE and PVP (both on my terms, not someone else's) - what Portalarium has come up with here sounds exciting. But like EMPstrike said, we will see how it plays out over time.

Sophi, potcorn, Gaelis and 3 others like this.
  13. Hraw

Hraw Avatar

Oh one other thing - in yesterday's hangout, Winfield (I believe it was) hinted that Paxlair (the first player owned town, coming in a few days) might be able to be set up as a full PVP zone for say a week at a time here and there. It didn't sound like he knew that was going to be a possibility for certain, but he sounded open to the idea if the devs allowed it. Looking at their plans for Paxlair in detail, having 1 week full PVP in that zone sounded like the best of all worlds to me.

Sophi and Abydos like this.
  14. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

We will have a PVP enabled scene in Paxlair eventually, just not sure how soon.

Sophi, Hraw and Abydos like this.
  15. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Some anti-PvP folks are upset that the temptation to go into a PvP area is there, whether its necessary or not.

And the PvPers i was referring to are the ones who still dont have the all out open everywhere vicousness they desire

Sophi, Abydos and Hraw like this.
  16. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Very, VERY few care about temptation, we do care about being forced.

17. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

You all mean - turn All Pax into PvP , not a part of it. It is either PvP or NOT?

This should be one of the POT Owner options and should be something they can turn on and off.

This will of course need some kind of restriction.

Would really be out of whack if you had an event and turned it PvP all the sudden and then killed everyone :-(

18. Hraw

Hraw Avatar

Yeah I don't know how / if it will work the way Winfield was describing. It sounded like there would be restrictions for the POT Owner.

Themo's post makes it sound like it will be a scene inside of Paxlair rather than the whole POT itself ... we shall see, I can see pros and cons either way

Abydos likes this.
  19. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

no Weins, one of the 5 scenes will be PVP. Paxlair is a cluster of 5 POTs connected, the metropolis in R17 is just the first to be added. Winfield was just hoping for a plot to enable as PVP for a test.

Sophi and Abydos like this.
  20. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

ah got it, understand now :)

Well if owner tools work in R17 he should be able to go PvP and back , hope to see it work like the Red Wedding muhahahaha,, not really that would mean it is broken but a good test :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.