Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

PvP Community FEEDBACK !

Discussion in 'Release 16 Feedback' started by Abydos, Apr 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

Actually, PVP stands for Player vs Player which is a very open term. Basically any feature that allows one player to play AGAINST another is PVP. I understand UO people have a different idea of what THEY consider PVP, but by definitions even duels or simply allowing players to play checkers in game would be a PVP feature.

Traditionally, the PVP style you are referring too as Open PVP/Full Loot, which is more descriptive of your particular feature. However, SOTA does have PVP: even if it is not the style of PVP you are looking for.

Abydos likes this.
  2. potcorn

potcorn Avatar

Here are some ideas:

1. When you hit max level, you are permanently flagged for PvP. That way seasoned PvMers can still enjoy dragon-killing without feeling unrealistically safe 24/7, and be a worthy opponent for murderous brigands seeking a fight.

2. PvP being enabled in brackets, i.e. levels 10-15, 15-20, 20-25, etc. but if a newbie heals a level 50 that is fighting, they are automatically flagged for interfering. This would prevent the camping of newbs, but still give them an opportunity to fight a rather evenly-matched opponent (like: "AWW YISS, THAT FGT WALLOFPWN IS LEVEL 50 NOW. LET'S GIT 'EM"). Also, visible levels such as "[<level>] <your name here>" to assist newbs with decision-making.

3. (idea partially stolen from Voyage Century): When you die in a PvP fight, there is a chance that you will drop one or several pieces of gear, depending on how good/evil you are. That way, chat channels wouldn't be spammed with "I LOST MAH GM VALORITE PLATEMAIL!! (>Q_Q)> ERMAGERD! *@&#@&#*^ PK'ERS!!!!1!!!one!!11!eleven," (no matter how much I would enjoy that), but the odds are that you would still have enough gear to get revenge on the scumbag that looted you should you lose an item (hint: carry backup weapons), and maybe, I dunno... get your item(s) back if someone up there likes you enough. Also, this way it would pay to be a good guy! :D

Also, I think the skill/stat loss PK idea a la UO is a good idea for Shroud, except level-based. Feel free to post your complaints/death threats/cooking recipes.

Abydos likes this.
  3. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Hey guys look I'm not sure if anyone's mentioned it I haven't had time to read the forum, but maybe full loot full pvp ?

Sounds like a reasonable compromise, people get to grow up and grow down at the same time, everyone is happy cause our gamemasters are actually forced to moderate and master the game.

You dawg, we put some game masters in your game so it can master your game while its being gamed.

How about a real living dynamic story and not granit monuments ?

*yawn*

Abydos likes this.
  4. High Baron Asguard

High Baron Asguard Avatar

Not to mention all the people who will rightly sue for a refund because the game was openly advertised as NOT being full loot

5. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

wooooo.... thats something different entirely.

I'm not sueing anyone, even if I can or i'm pissed drunk, not until one of my basic rights is attacked without my provocation :p

Anyone doing so would be totally uncool in my book.

I still think that beyond the guardian's veils of control and illusion, I'm the target demographic for this game, as it exists in another parallel reality which I thankfully have access to.

So in fact I donated in over 5 million parallel realities, some of which I have fun in, my pledge logically holds regardless :p

6. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

I dislike how that is constantly being held over everyone's head, lame.

E n v y likes this.
  7. High Baron Asguard

this is a product which was sold, if it fails to deliver the product sold then YES you are entitled to a refund. Sorry but that's how consumer law works. You may have money to throw away but I don't. When the gas pole I bought caused the bottle to fall over I took it back and got a refund, I don't paticually care if that sends gas mark out of business, the product they sold me failed to deliver what was advertised. This is no different, in fact MORE so because that cost me a couple of hundred, this almost 2000.

This is not a religion, its a company with a product they want to sell us, no more, no less

8. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

It doesn't change the fact that it's lame and bodes horribly for this game, I fail to see how bending to the fear of litigation is ever going to help develop a better game. All I see are the needs of a few who came first out weighing the needs of the many who came after.

E n v y likes this.
  9. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

At the end of it, the product is a game.....if you don't like it, don't play it.....you can still sell your account.

Moonshadow likes this.
  10. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

With a logic like that, I can see why you're damned to worship *chuckles*

Even the intro video purports more than a "play it or leave it" type of game... it wants and will be more, I still have hope.

Cognitive dissonance...

Moonshadow likes this.
  11. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

No im serious, its a game......if someone doesnt like it then they should just sell their account and play something they like........what they shouldnt do is say they will sue for a refund just because they chose to put a couple of k into the game.

Moonshadow likes this.
  12. High Baron Asguard

Difference, if the game sucks shame on me and I have to live with that

IF however this turns into a full loot PvP game then that is NOT the product I bought and shame on THEM

13. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

*scratches head*

How could this ever turn into a full loot pvp game ? You mean you're afraid they wont deliver on mystical ultima style content ?

14. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

Greetings Avatars!

I see some of the posts in this thread have started down a path that is best not traveled. Any thread of litigation will not be tolerated. I really don't want to see it come to that, so I'm hopping in here at this point to remind everyone of that.

You are however, highly encouraged to provide constructive feedback and suggestions to the dev team.

15. ilcontegis

ilcontegis Avatar

I totally understand what you mean, still I feel that PVP without full loot, risk vs reward, open PVP is not real PVP imho.

That would be the same as fishing in an artificial pound, no adrenaline, no risk, nothing...you just put in your bait and some fish will pick it up......some people will like it but imho is not fun.

Unfortunately most of new players like easy gaming....that's a pity.

PVP is an art is waiting 30 minutes hidden at the entrance of a dungeon to gank the first group of people you see...PVP is the satisfaction of winning 3 vs 1 when some PK gank you and you succeed to kill them all...that's real PVP, real adrenaline. I don't even see the point to start a 1vs1 preagreed fight..
    That's one of the main reason I'll probably play SotA as a PvM experience as no "real" PVP is planned.

16. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Yea Koldar, in any place I'd hate to see it down to that...

Sure Envy as I mentioned earlier, talking about "the path that shouldn't be travelled" (retrofitted Jesus quote is so perfect here) would be really uncool.

But, there's a but ! We should have better ways of dealing with unsatisfied long term contributing members, it shouldn't even come close to having to tell them basically that its a game and that they can put paper weights on ALT+F4, on a public part of the forum ; especially a high baron, especially after such a long time.

I'm not even sure why Asgard is so unhappy, I haven't been on the forums cause I'm so freakin inflammatory without intending it. Took some distance so I could see if my behavior was appropriate, and I came to the conclusion that I'm one amazing inspired genius, and I'm inspired by a particular experience that I think was the end "spiritual" goal of UO.

I'm like Brad Pitt in fight club, ok shaky territory, I know... its all figurative.

An illuminated freak who really don't fit the rest of the crowd if you prefer. I always leaned towards, laughing the hell outta myself, cause its all so serious, too serious.

So I react like any fanboi who comes expecting a jolly dev team who's eternally happy about all the financing who makes easter eggs and jokes all the time, with the cling clang of high baron's cup o wine to support it ; but instead sees a high level of tension and people repeating themselves because they're so freakin tired of people complaining.

It's all about the content this time, and not the container.

Moonshadow likes this.
  17. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Ilcontegis, I like what you're saying, but you said gank.

And there will be real pvp planned, the dev team is a great team... I think theres lots of good ideas, it just seems too dependant on certain concepts which have been shown to fail because of their lack of human touch.

As sir baron Francisco would say... well I forgot how he would say it, but he says it so eloquently.

18. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

As I said before, you can have that personal preference. However, language is about words having a standard meaning. You might not like to fish that why but that activity is still referred to as FISHING. :) In the same regard SOTA has PVP. To you it might not be rewarding PVP, but you cannot say it does not have it.

I have an different or heighten definition of what a Role Playing Game is, but that doesn't mean I can change the standard definition of an RPG. :D

19. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

But please do it, by all means ! Change the definition of RPG ! :)

Umbrae likes this.
  20. Amethyst

Amethyst Avatar

Abydos said that some PVPers he knows will only play full loot. I am new to MMO's and I have noticed in this game that their are 3 kinds of PVPers: 1) Irritating griefers who come for awhile and cause trouble, 2) PVPer's who like fool loot but also don't mind sharing with others who don't, and 3) PVPer's who also like to PVE just as much. I notice that Abydos said he hasn't done much PVP because he is only level 44. I have encountered many PVPers who offered me to join with them to level up from nothing even though I have never PVP'd before. I am sure they would welcome Abydos when release 17 starts because we all start at the same level. Someone should remind him. We need to stop lumping all PVPers into the same mold. We only separate out the griefers and lump the rest all together. It makes it harder for them because they are struggling to get what they want in PVP and it does not match what other PVPer's want. They have to get along with us as well as their own kind.

Moonshadow likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.