Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Books feedback (from Shroud of the Update)

Discussion in 'Release 16 Feedback' started by mike11, Apr 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mike11

mike11 Avatar

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just a suggestion, I am sure everybody loves them just the way they are.... anyway

pls remove the "icon" appearance and just use the smbols themselves... It looks a little to Encyclopedia Britannica..

I think if they remove the square and triangle it would look more natural and book-like.

cheers

2. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

I just hope that once placed in a bookshelf .. books don't count toward item limit :)

3. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

I hope you can stand them up or lay them down all the books laying on their covers really sucks :-(

4. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I'm finding I'm inclined to agree with the OP but as a small point. Personally, I'm hoping for a little more in the way of Misc covers. Using the icons I'm sure is a good, fast way to add variety but they're so specific. I mean, who would use the fire magic icon for anything other than a spell about fire magic? It's cool I mean, if I was writing a fire magic book I'd use it for sure.. but otherwise?

Anyway.. it would feel a little more natural to not have the "icon" look. Maybe try it out on one or two books as a test to see if it's worth the effort?

That said.. the covers are pretty cool as is. I would like to see some more generic covers too though if possible.

5. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

I believe they intend to enable vertical rotating of items

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  6. draykor darkale

draykor darkale Avatar

Yeah, I Kinda like them the way they are, sorry :( I like the encyclopaedia feel to them

Lord Baldrith, mike11 and majoria70 like this.
  7. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I also love the way they look. I am mentioning this again since this is a book type of subject lol. So has anyone heard if we will be doing player owned town books? For example towns could have their towns story in a book. I think it would be really cool.:)

RDouglas and smack like this.
  8. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

It might depend on how they design the ability to select book covers. Last year we talked about being able to craft books and I remember an idea about cover templates. Templates would allow us to choose a coat of arms or other symbols. it's that or they've have to be pre-made.

9. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Thanks Bowen. I wasn't sure of the last word on writing in books.

RDouglas likes this.
  10. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

There really hasn't been a lot about it from the devs. Lot of talk from backers.. I know Richard has reviewed a lot of the ideas but there really hasn't been any definitive statements from Portalarium beyond what little we know.

Miracle Dragon and majoria70 like this.
  11. smack

smack Avatar

I don't mind the "icon" look of the book covers, as it does form a set and the outline itself is an identifier of what type of book it is. But yeah, wouldn't mind seeing how they look without the outlines too.

And aside from stacking, anyone else notice that books are also leaning? Will we have that ability or are we seeing PhysX in action?

Also...did anyone else see those "special" set of book covers before that screenshot was removed from the Update? ;)

mike11, Miracle Dragon and majoria70 like this.
  12. Deloria

Deloria Avatar

I think these designs are very nice, but maybe a little bit masculine?

I understand that things should be iconic - but I would also like to see iconic trees, animals and flowers - Also the same for Banners and Coat of Arms I guess.

Poetry, art and adventure tales belong in a less functional binding I think... Anything With a taste of "whimsey" should get its own little design nod.

I was thinking of writing a "tales of the witches series." I wonder a little what the book covers would look like?

What binding for a fairytale?
    What binding for a horror story?
    What binding for a wistful romantic tale?

13. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

I just think "shroud of the update" is wicked cool :D

RDouglas likes this.
  14. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

did you come up with this concept on your own ? :D

15. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

I must have missed this. Did you happen to save the image?

16. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Which ones are the special ones? the Misc group? I don't check the updates usually on the website. I read it through email (and thus save all the images :) )

17. smack

smack Avatar

Yes, I did save the image...but if it wasn't meant to be seen because potential spoilers...although, blessed are the keen eyed (intentional doublespeak). :D

Nope, not the Misc group. It wasn't in the e-mail, but appeared briefly on the website.

The mystery continues... :)

18. Browncoat Jayson

Hmm, when I first saw the update I thought it had the image from Update 119 in it, but that wouldn't be spoilery...

[​IMG]

19. smack

smack Avatar

Ah, there it is. So I knew I wasn't insane. I'd only guess it would've been spoilery as I don't remember them confirming the 8 virtues.

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  20. Browncoat Jayson

Ah, ok. Glad I didn't miss something.

You can see in the in-game shots from this update that the Ankh cover is fairly prominently placed. The La Fontaine poems have been in for a while, so it makes sense for them to get a cover, and I suppose the Brothers Grimm stories will be appearing soon. I do wonder what the Prophet cover signifies; the only prophecies we hear about are from the Oracle, so I'd expect her to grace those books (speaking of which, why is she not on a cover?).

I'm not sure those will even represent the Virtues, but could be used to contain similar stories. I had hoped to see each of the "Virtues" (Principles of Truth, Love and Courage) get its own symbol, possibly mounted in a circle of its color. And covers with the combined Sigils, rather than individual pieces.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.