Should Coins Have Weight Associated With It?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Blake Blackstone, Apr 16, 2015.

?

Should Coins

1. Yes

49.3%
  2. No

50.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ashlynn [Pax]

Ashlynn [Pax] Avatar

Some of the ad hominem arguments in this thread are priceless. From "people who don't support weight for coins don't support the game as much" to "I'm not calling you stupid, but you're stupid". Amazing.

2. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

don't worry, it fits in my pocket

[​IMG]

Net, Atticus, cartodude and 3 others like this.
  3. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

So, once again, we're weighing playability vs. hindering gold farmers. Playability wins IMO.

Tired of going around in circles yet? I am.o_O

Ice Queen likes this.
  4. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    So, we see the counter to gold farming with no weight to gold with budners proposal above. Again, I am for weight with gold. It is far more immersive and counters gold farming in general.

Moonshadow likes this.
  5. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Gold weight aside, why not put a cap on how much gold a character can collect in an hour or a day? That would address gold farming more directly than weighing us down.

And what is gold farming anyway? If I want to sit at my computer for 24 hours straight with a half-ton of Cheetos and a case of beer (nice visual!), why can't I just do that?

Or are you worried just about bots?

And how will bots work in this game exactly? I mean, I know how they worked in UO, but I don't see bots working nearly as well in SOTA. Someone explain the macro (so I can use it when I farm gold).

cartodude likes this.
  6. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Oooh where's the dragon Moonshadow, beware of Smaug. I love that dragon. And carrying a lot of weighted gold could get you killed;) I hope we have truly great looking and great acting dragons when we get them, probably no Smaug though. So beware to some who haven't seen this movie.

*Spoiler Alert*

cartodude, Budner, Hraw and 1 other person like this.
  7. Blake Blackstone

Blake Blackstone Avatar

I remember when I first began to explain The Federal Reserve, Fiat Currency, and how interest rates affect supply, demand, and the acceleration of money to people. Half of them couldn't make it past the fact that the Federal Reserve was actually a grouping of private banks. Their minds just shut off. These were smart people too, they just refused to hear it. This thread reminds me a lot of that.

Moonshadow likes this.
  8. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

LOL Majoria's like, "you boys stop arguing and look over here at the pretty dragon!"

Moonshadow, cartodude and majoria70 like this.
  9. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

The Federal Reserve is more than a grouping of private banks ...... maybe that's where they lost you?

Moonshadow and majoria70 like this.
  10. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

OK I've now reached that point where I realize that I will never get back the time I wasted typing my gibberish into this thread.

I apologize to most of you, but mostly I apologize to ME.

cartodude and majoria70 like this.
  11. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

I think there's a lot of "not hearing it" going both ways.

cartodude, majoria70 and Moonshadow like this.
  12. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

speaking of dragons! I remember playing this one d n d campaign in which we did indeed eventually slay the dragon, we spent another 3 years playing that campaign and almost all of it revolved around either protecting the gold or trying to get it somewhere besides that stupid cave, it was one of the best campaigns I've ever been apart of and it pains me to think about the fun that would have been lost had the dm never uttered those words "so what are you going to do with the gold?"

I guess my final thoughts here are that I'd rather play a role playing game rather than roll playing game. But that's just me.

majoria70, Budner and Hraw like this.
  13. Gix

Gix Avatar

Nothing is that black & white when it comes to game design; you can't just carpet bomb a logic and expect everything to work well.

It really has nothing to do with "dumb-ing down" the game; it's got to do with the overall pacing and entertainment factor of the experience. I mean, why do you think SotA has a game-map and an overworld map? Richard Garriott said it himself: because otherwise the game would have too many empty/boring space and they decided to avoid filling an area with spiders every 2 feet... it'd turn the activity into a chore.

"But if I'm running and walking in the game map, why can't I travel this way all the time? Why load an overworld map at all? I want everything to behave the same way!" Gameplay, that's why. When you're in the overworld map, you're nagivating; the other map is the game area. Same thing with loot.

When a player loots gold, the last thing he/she should be thinking of is "how much is that going to weight me down?". If you're encumbered and you kill an enemy, you need to have a chance to loot something out of it.

cartodude and Budner like this.
  14. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

LOL you're kidding right lol;) **looks innocent**

Budner likes this.
  15. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    I see your point, and understand you want to go from hex to hex without entering the overworld map. I can sympathize with you as I liked the open world feeling like UO had. But again, this is not UO, this is a successor to the Ultima series, and most of them had the overworld map. Now on your point of : "When a player loots gold, the last thing he/she should be thinking of is "how much is that going to weight me down?". If you're encumbered and you kill an enemy, you need to have a chance to loot something out of it." Why should you not pay attention to your weight? Everything else you loot has weight to it. Do you mean to say that all you ever loot is gold? not sure what context you are trying to say here. If you are encumbered also, why are you still killing things. I try to plan ahead of such things or I get stuck in a spot and cannot move at all. Its the classic tale of greed. Some one always wants "all" the gold, but they lose their life trying to get it.

16. Blake Blackstone

Blake Blackstone Avatar

@Frank and Budner

Do you guys disagree with encumbrance as a whole? Should it be taken out?

17. Roper Docholiday

Roper Docholiday Avatar

I have no preference to weight or no weight. I am not a script-er but even at this early stage i have found many exploitable areas where a script-er could easily make do. If we try to create a game where scripting is hard to near impossible the game will truly not be enjoyable. This is said not in the regards to that i want to script or that i do or don't condone scripting it will just make the game tedious and unbearable. To many people in my opinion are to concerned with exploits that could be taken advantaged by scripting. Yes it is a major concern to the survivability of the game to keep script-ers and cheaters out of the game. Personally i don't care if some one scripts for personal use. however once that line is crossed to make profit or unreasonable gains then i think that should be crashed.

In my esteem if we targeted the sellers and created buyers to link the accounts to the sale of such items that where these people were losing not only the accounts and all the items it had on it and the sales items we would effectively eliminate the bad scrip-tors.

example on how this would work. one finds a gold seller by what ever means... a small purchase is made and a in game transfer is created. from their a person would be able to see where the gold came from its electronic trail. ie the gold was received by x account and that x account received the gold from y account. y account gave gold to accounts q, r, and t. from this information u can see who farmed the gold and what accounts were used to distribute the gold. im sure an ip address could be gathered as well to see if any further links could be established.

that was a basic mock up i believe it would probably be much deeper and linked between several gathering accounts. A friend of mine in the past in another game used 5 accounts to gather resources gold and etc and dumped those resources between a couple of dummy accounts that transfered it to sales accounts that he used to imitate the trades between goods between other players to keep his accounts pvt. that way his actual game account was never in the loop.

THIS IS THE ONLY WAY ONE WILL EVER TRULY STOP ALL THE BAD SCRIPTERS AND MONEY MAKERS THAT RUIN THE GAME.
    the only other thing would possible put in a in game report button that if one sees a scripter he clicks the button alertering any mod in game at the time of location and that a suspected scripter is their. could even use a targeting system so the mod gets a name to follow. scripting normally optimizes all actions so that if a person is reacting faster than he should it might be a good tell tale sign that he is using some sort of cheat.

18. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

for clarification

I want weighted coin because it sounds like a fun, but I also think it would be fun to have to double team those logs you cut down just to get em back to town. I want more out of my game, not less.

Lord Blake Blackstone likes this.
  19. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Good question. Initially I didn't like the idea of encumbrance but when it was introduced in R14 or whenever I found the weight limits to be sufficiently relaxed and I liked the option to allocate points to enable us to carry more. Overall I'd say I accept encumbrance, but it does nothing positive for me, from a standpoint of playability. And the current balancing/weights make so little sense, I don't know why they bother. And at low levels, when players are just starting out, encumbrance can be quite an annoying feature.

So the current encumbrance build doesn't bother me really, but I'd prefer not to add more encumbrance (gold or otherwise) to the game mechanics.

20. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

my question now becomes why not test it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.