1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Exclusive Darkstarr Moondial. Get yours before they're gone!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by caravaggiosWolf (Dev), Jul 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dame Lori

Dame Lori Avatar

Bob rocks! :D
    As far as materials go, I think any type of stone would look nice here and I don't have a preference. My only thought is that the view of the model there makes both the brass and the marble look quite dark and dull. I suppose the lighting on the object will vary depending on the placement and the light hitting it in game, but I do miss the brilliance of the concept version. This lovely piece looks like it should be producing its own glow. ;)

rild, Koldar and caravaggiosWolf like this.
  2. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

Well, I think it's fine as-is, but since you asked about granite I do have a suggestion.

This is a celestial thing, so related to space and stars.
    There is a black granite, sometimes called Galaxy, and it has gold flecks in it.
    There is also absolute black granite, which doesn't do a very good job of being absolute black. It has smaller silver flecks in it.
    Something like this:

[​IMG]

I'd suggest that either would represent the cosmos holding the planets if you wanted to go that direction.

3. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

I personally like the jade, marble look. I think it very nicely compliments the color of the brass. Maybe bring a little bit of the opposing color onto the other parts. Like a little green where the brass is and vice versa. Either way it looks amazing. Well done as always.

caravaggiosWolf and Koldar like this.
  4. Mugly Wumple

Mugly Wumple Avatar

I think the choice should by guided foremost by what will best show the details of the hand. The marble sample of Sir Frank's looks great if it can be made to work given my previous statement.

caravaggiosWolf likes this.
  5. rild

rild Avatar

Something like silver for the orbits, or small silver effects or other inlay, on the globes themselves might play in nicely. Maybe some of the material from the hand?

I think it's terrific!!

6. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

For those who were following this thread, just thought I would share that I actually put the moon dial into the game engine earlier and captured it. Before anyone says anything about no AA, I was using 8X AA, the jaggies are from Youtube compression. I do think we need to turn up to the normal map a bit and maybe was to a specific metal shader but that can wait till tomorrow.

Here it is on the upstairs balcony of your future house... if you like trees at least. :)

Enjoy

7. Phredicon

Phredicon Avatar

LOVE it! Was there talk about trying out an obsidian base/hand?

8. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

Yah, it isn't 100% done. The pivot points are off just slightly which gives each ring a bit of a wobble. I actually kind of like that but I would really like to be able to make the planet in the middle rotate as well. Once I get a better metal shader on it and pop the globe out and possibly get a different base material, maybe I'll post another video in high res.

I just re-cropped the fraps video I made to 16x9 so it looks better on Youtube

9. Sir Frank

That looks great. Looking forward to seeing the finished work. I'm not a fan of the greenish base. Bronze is a copper alloy, so whatever the base is, it might be covered by a green patina that has run off of the bronze over a long period of time. Is this a relic, or a modern device? The bronze rings could be kept polished, but it would be hard to clean porous stone. Anyway, I can hardly wait to see the finished work.

caravaggiosWolf and Dame Lori like this.
  10. KernelPanic

KernelPanic Avatar

That looks pretty sweet! :) Although I would like to see the hand not that green. More the grayish/green from the concept art. :)

And maybe the squashed planet should rotate the other way around? The 'debris' is coming first now and that looks kinda weird to me. But thats just my opinion. Not sure if someone shares the same one. But the item looks amazing. :)

11. Dame Lori

Dame Lori Avatar

I agree about the hand being too green~
    [​IMG]

Though tbh I'm not totally feeling that 100% either, I don't know... Some of the grandeur has been lost in the colors and shading between the concept and the model. But will wait until it's done!

KernelPanic and caravaggiosWolf like this.
  12. Luciferase

Luciferase Avatar

It looks great, but I agree with some of the others, that there something about the green that is just "off". I would like to see what the base might look like re-textured with a "star-field" like stone texture as Sir Frank KC mentioned and showed above. With that being said however, overall, its an amazing creation, Chris. :)

13. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

I agree with Dame Lori. Something has been lost in translation from the concept art to the 3D model due to the color and shading used. The ugly green color used for the hand and the base makes it look dull and lifeless. I would definitely replace it with either obsidian or black marble with the star field pattern. The brass used in the upper portion could be a little bit shinier as well.

Jambo and caravaggiosWolf (Dev) like this.
  14. Dame Lori

Dame Lori Avatar

*casually throws in a copper suggestion*

[​IMG]

15. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

Dame Lori - excellent suggestion. This definitely hews more closely to the original concept!

16. Phredicon

Phredicon Avatar

That does look good, maybe make the planet in the palm (is that New Britannia?) the yellow/gold/brass from before for contrast ?

17. Dame Lori

Dame Lori Avatar

:cool:

[​IMG]

18. Sir Frank

Here are copper, bronze, and brass with metal shaders. I don't have stone in my material database yet.

[​IMG]

19. Luciferase

Luciferase Avatar

You know...I like this, but how about if each of the planets/moons were the gold'ish color and the rings stayed the copper like you have here...That way they stand out a bit more on the rings.

20. Dame Lori

Dame Lori Avatar

A bit shinier after being inspired by Sir Frank's image.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.