Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Goodbye Open PvP

Discussion in 'Release 16 Feedback' started by Net, Apr 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Yes we're definately on the same wavelength on that, for good players virtue would give more protection powers, powers that can extend to other players related in a good way to that player.

And yes its easy for Unity to track those things once its programmed into the mainframe... I can confirm because I've fiddled with the engine lately. Trying to find why we were being ignored, especially you, since you put so much effort in explaining it.

For bad players however, it would make their attack more deadly when "virtue" would become weak around certain players, because they did actions contrary to the "path"...

So for bad players bonuses would be rather chaotic, while for good players bonuses would be more tangible.

Only one thing Baron Fondorlatos, can you please rephrase the last part, your point ? I could not understand the sense...

2. TantX

TantX Avatar

You're right, I shouldn't say that.

What I should say is that primetime hours, at Luna bank and Britain bank, Trammel and Felucca combined on any shard is less than 20 (if not less than 10). UOF has no less than 100. Russian servers field hundreds of players.

Most if not all of the big ones are Felucca-based. The unstable freeshards out there are usually the ones with GMx47 300 of each stat, etc. They come and go every 3-6 months.

Go visit the freeshards. There are literally hundreds of new UO players who join Felucca-freeshards every year, who've never played UO before and are trying it out "the way it was". And no one's tired of a $15 sub. When people are buying these ugly houses and gigantic starships without crews for hundreds if not thousands of dollars, people don't care about $15 subs. It doesn't matter the "era" - any Felucca ruleset it open PvP. Yes, there are town guards, but that doesn't stop people from mad bombing you (Bobs for Bob, anyone?) or dropping trapped boxes or luring ten scorpions to an AFKer at a bank and releasing them, letting the poison kill 'em.

Are there deterrents? Yes, as there should be. But any Felucca-ruleset is, by definition, open PvP. It isn't open consensual PvP, like when you turn a flag on or off, but it's open PvP. There is no Trammel or safe zones.

Now if only Chris would post that looting document he wrote up, oh, 5 weeks ago or so, and we could start talking about motivations to PvP and GvG.

3. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

@Ahuaeynjgkxs

Currently the emphasis of pvp fighting is to kill the other player. The reward is "not dying" as much as it is winning. But what if you belonged to a faction where dying is fine as long as you do it the right way? Say you're a noble knight and you're defending the weak? Surly that's worth more to your faction than winning a battle over someone weaker than you are.

A potential power might be something like "loot protection" where as long as you're not killing someone lower level than you are then you can't be looted when you die.

4. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Ah I see, yes I agree as well...

Loot protection as in a holy aura that cannot be touched by impure hands. There could be a timer on the aura, so it would still be possible to grab a few pieces after a certain amount of time.

We're missing so much skills, properly implemented forensic evaluation is a must for roleplay too.

I'm hopeful, the devs will come around...

5. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

Death needs to be a set back like it was in uo, if I died I had to find someone to rez me, then I had to go pick up some new equipment, by then what ever event that got you killed was most likely over with.

Ahuaeynjgkxs and Dewderonomy like this.
  6. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

And permadeath should be possible for roleplayers...

Archibald Leatherneck likes this.
  7. Blake Blackstone

Blake Blackstone Avatar

Are you serious Net? I cannot express how upset I am with the banning of Jacob Canaan at who knows whose direction. You guys let 2 PvPers wipe the entire lot of you. Dont rez. Leave the scene. Call in backup. Most of all untag PvP if you cant handle it.

I know Jacob and you about the same so please don't think he has my ear. The only difference is when you are teaching classes on PvP, Jacob is out doing it.

Amber Raine and Moonshadow like this.
  8. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

I relate to the 'choice' described in the opening post. However, I think a hard PVP rule for some to get used to is that 'no one is the jerk.' If PVP is a choice, and everyone has made that choice by flagging themselves for PVP, then from one respect everyone is there because they want to be involved, they expect PVP, and indeed they already are engaged in it by participating in the posturing and positioning that goes on even before a blow is struck. If you can see it this way, you don't have to feel quite so bad about landing a first blow. Combat is about combat. Waiting to be jumped in PVP might seem honorable. But valor is a virtue too, and sometimes a better tactic.

I agree that role playing can add to things in open PVP. Not in arena PVP where everyone has is rushing to meet a goal. But in open world PVP, yes. It can be a lot of fun when a group on opposing sides brings the posturing and positioning parts of PVP to life with a little drama. In some regards, it is that communication between opponents that makes the PVP battle more honorable, thank if the combat had just happened frantically without any words exchanged at all. One has to work at it though, and go out of your work to make that RP visible. Else things just quickly advance to the combat only.

Dewderonomy likes this.
  9. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Blake... Jacob was not banned for PVP and what he does is NOT PVP. He logs in for the day and does whatever he can think up that he believes will upset the most possible people. This ranges from real world threats (including stalking and contacting people outside of the game), preventing non-PVP events from happening by spamming them, abusing people in chat,mail and whisper and being a douch in general. Nobody fought back in that video due to the fact that we were asked not to, killing him has never been a problem for anybody. I am really surprised that that is the kind of behaviour you of all people would support. Somebody flagging PVP does not give you the right to insult and abuse them, does not give you the right to search and share their personal information, does not give you the right to disrupt their events simply because the mechanics are (or were) not in place to prevent it. Open PVP is about encountering an opposing force, fighting them and going about your business after it is done, it does not call for actions which this individual (and his ally) employ. It is a sad state of affairs when people even consider it acceptable in any way shape or form.

FrostII, Lord Lonn, Kara Brae and 5 others like this.
  10. Blake Blackstone

Blake Blackstone Avatar

Themo, this is foul play. I hope that you didnt mean it to be the way it is written. I have never said that I support these things.

If they are true, that is one thing, and completely justified. If it is because he interrupted your events by killing people with a PvP tag, then I take tremendous issue.

Moonshadow likes this.
  11. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

no it didn't actually read as i intended, i should have written " I am surprised at your stance on this issue since you have been the victim of it in the past". I also made an assumption that you knew more about what was going on there than you did, apologies. You are also out of line btw with..
    "The only difference is when you are teaching classes on PvP, Jacob is out doing it."
    .. since the Jacob vs Net kill count is insanely tipped towards Nets favour.

Lord Lonn, Arianna and Gaelis like this.
  12. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Is this Jacob the "Therion" (spelling) that complained about being banned for a week when he Blatantly stated all he was going to do since he was Not allowed to participate was basically "Dirsrupt / Harrass" as much as he could, the post was flagged and removes after like 15 minuts, but I Saw it and replied.

If this is him - sorry Blake but you should have learned A lot more before you posted your message. It does make you come off as supporting him.

If it isn't him, well his actions are blatant disregard for Play, so he gets what he deserves. He is not in the game to play but to just be a thorn in ANYONES side :-(

13. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

that is him yes

14. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

his statement alone to me would warrant a Perma Ban since he clearly stated all he was going to do was cause as much trouble as he could :-(

He would only give any respectful PvPer a bad name and worsen any, and destroy any productive efforts any rightful person would make in a positive direction

15. Tartness

Tartness Avatar

If I walk into an open PvP zone and announce to everyone in the zone that I'm going to cause as much trouble as possible for everyone there, you would want to have me perma-banned?

16. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

If it was limited to PVP it wouldn't be an issue, use your heads people. If ganking was a ban offence there would be 20+ pk'ers on here screaming about being banned. Envy pk'ed people for a month with no issue and so did many others.

17. Tartness

Tartness Avatar

You can't really predict what some people are going to come out with here, I'd rather not guess at what they are saying and just ask what they are saying.

Themo Lock likes this.
  18. Net

Net Avatar

I do not know what was the cause of his ban, but it was well deserved and it was not probably caused by single report, I think he collected a few and there were more people quite upset with him, but not reporting.

Actually, they were three PvPers, but one was not much active. And with broken invisibiliy, healing and area of effect it was not that hard for them, though we could do better. That is partly reason why I am upset with OpenPvP, the inactivity of some people with flag.

Sure. Log out, log back on the map, reenter the scene, basically exploit the game? I could do that but my point is that I do not want to. Calling back up is nice and all, and we did that few times, but it does not solve the basic issue - should I interupt the event because I know someone is about to attack me and the best way to defend is to attack first? Or should I let them have first attack, so I am not seen as the bad guy even though it will likely kill me? That is the choise I do not want to face.

Well, that is what the whole "Goodbye Open PvP" thread is about, that I unflagged:p

I teach only because I was asked to repeatedly. I never tried to say I am the best PvPer. I do not even consider myself PvPer, not the one like Jacob anyway. Only one of my class was about PvP. And yes soem people are good at using every broken mechanic of pre-alpha game and taking advantage of it.

Jynx, Lord Lonn, Gaelis and 1 other person like this.
  19. Deathblow

Deathblow Avatar

Working with Bill long before UO. A controversial subject was brought up, concerning a particular anti-tank gun. People in the tourneys concerning them, called out,they were overpowered.
    This was changed due to popular opinion. It did not match history, but it made everyone happier. The scenario was the initial attack on Poland. That gun in it's proper use created the Phoney War.

His company was later sold and isn't as good as it was. Hail SSI.

Anyone that wants to chew the fat on tactics, my door is always open, through PM. Hail UO and SotA.

20. Blake Blackstone

Blake Blackstone Avatar

Yes. If Jacob roleplays a "murderer" and you are a defender of "peace" you would kill him as many times as possible to defend the peace. Keep killing him until he never comes back.

I'm sorry that you are leaving OPEN PvP but it is not for everyone.

WindSilvermoon and Moonshadow like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.