POT and them not having trainers

Discussion in 'Player Owned Towns' started by Duke William of Serenite, May 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Duke William of Serenite

Duke William of Serenite Avatar

So I received word that devs do not plan on putting trainers in Player owned Towns...

If you have ever felt a quick kick in the nuts this is what it felt like when I found this out.

The reason we go into town is to train and sell/repair... Now wouldn't it be nice if all that can happen in your home town where you live? Instead of having to make the trek to owls head or Ardoris? What is the reasoning behind this? Do devs want us to visit their NPC towns just to train? I can't see why not allow POT to have them?

2. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Trainers wont be the same as they are now, there will be trainers for certain skill trees at varying levels and the top tier spells will require questing. I think that is why they are off the table.

3. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Well he has got a point anyway.
    Plus: PoTs have a lot of other logistical problems as well. Would you move into a town without a bank? I wouldn't. And i guess most people wouldn't. THat foces smaller PoTs to "use up" their NPC buildings with a bank. And so forth. You can do this with every "important" NPC building.

4. Duffrey Blake

Duffrey Blake Avatar

As Themo said, trainers will work different. Tier 1 trainers could be found on many locations while tier 5 trainers will be very rare and maybe hard to find.
    I agree that a bank is more or less essential to pots. So portalarium, why not sell all pots with a bank already included + x npc owned buildings?

5. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

Player owned towns were an afterthought. They are meant to give people a place to live with their friends or alone.
    They're really not part of "the game".
    I don't think traveling to a nearby NPC town is such an imposition.

Banks are a bit different. Theoretically, a resident of a town has a home to store things in, so a bank is not so essential.
    Even a person without their own home, who calls a POT home, will probably have permission to use a friend's home for storage.

6. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Not quite sure why people seem to think banks are essential for PoTs. Remember banks are local and essentially store items. People who live in a PoT will have their house to store items....... The only real need for a bank is if your in a PvP pot (store resources for quick restock - important for non residents) or if you have a PoT with many NPC options and a bank would fit well.

7. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

I also guess that we shouldn't base our fears and concerns on what is ingame right now.

We have only one POT, and a few "know-it-all" trainers: Ard, OH, KS, Braemar, Soltown.

We don't know how many POTs will litter the map and where, nor how many NPC cities will have trainers. For instance, Paxlair will be very close to Brittany, and I guess there we will find many trainers. But at the moment Brittany is not ingame: to train skills the closest place is Soltown.

But I wouldn't be surprised if most POTs will have places to train pretty close to them.

8. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

I can understand a desire to be able to stand in ones one town and do skill rebuilds at a trainer. That would be convenient.

But it makes sense to me that trainers are not in player run towns for a few reasons. First, I thought the devs said that different trainers for different levels of skills would have to be found? Not sure. Second, I view a game mechanic that requires one to explore, revisit a past town, or be seen in public socializing a good thing. If everything including crafting stations, trainers, suppliers, and more were placed in a player home, we would have a player home simulator for a game, and wouldnt really need a world to explore and be seen in.

9. Duke William of Serenite

Yes I agree bank is a must. A small city can get away with one bank and a reagents vendor.

Themo Lock likes this.
  10. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Sure. What dose a holdfast do?

11. Earl Atogrim von Draken

I couldn't disagree more.
    PoTs are what we make of them.
    I am pretty sure PaxLair will be damend essential for the game.

12. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

I actually wasn't going to have a bank in mine, but i don't see market stalls in list anymore so maybe i will now.

13. Sir Frank

You're free to disagree. I put "the game" in quotes, because I'm referring to the story that Portalarium hasn't put into the game yet.
    If Pax Lair is essential for playing the game, Portalarium isn't delivering what they promised.
    You know, that whole Friend mode and Solo mode thing.

14. Duke William of Serenite

Some really good posts here, even those that disagree with me have made me look at things in a different light.

thank you.

Katrina Bekers and Themo Lock like this.
  15. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

We are not essential, just really really good looking :3

16. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Ok, so i guess you and me are playing the game very different. Which is fine of course.
    I couldn't care less about the solo thing to be honest. But sure, from that point of view you are right.
    On the other hand, do PoTs vanish in solo mode? If not, what keeps Portalarium from placing quest NPCs there?

Still, i see PoTs as very important part of the game. Like EvE 0.0 Sec, if you know that one. In PoTs we can creat our own story and i am sure it will, at some point, make it into the lore.

17. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

My POT won't have a bank. My POT won't have vendors.

If it has NPC's they will not sell things.

The POT shouldn't be a way to exclude yourself from the rest of the game (that's what single player mode is for). POTs should be another destination in a long list of possible destinations. If everything was one stop shop it would be a very boring game.

18. Sir Frank

Portalarium has to view all modes of the game and have them exist together.
    It would be helpful if players took the entire game as a whole into account when making suggestions.
    Their suggestions might then have a better chance of being something Portalarium can consider.

I understand MMO fans, especially large guilds wanting all trainers and services available right there in their home town. I don't mind if that happens. But we must remember that there will be players in the offline mode that will not have access to those trainers, so they need to be available in NPC towns also.

We must also remember that POTs were not in the original plan, and the more features we add to them, the more we take away from the rest of the game, or the more time it takes to finish the game. And I care about how long this is taking, in spite of the folks that say nobody cares when we launch.

19. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Also keep in mind that not all players may have access to all player owned towns, if players can be banned from towns then there should be no content in those towns like quests and trainers. Jerks need quests and trainers too.

20. Duke William of Serenite

I guess I keep trying to inject my thinking from Darkfall. How our towns were everything to us. We wouldn't dare leave far away from them in fear of being raided. Alot of that thinking doesn't apply well here since we are not open pvp everywhere and can not take each others holdings.

Good point.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.