Conversations

Discussion in 'Avatars & NPCs' started by High Baron Asguard, Jul 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. High Baron Asguard

High Baron Asguard Avatar

I am watching the demo and I have 3 issues with the way conversations are carried out

1) This form of coversation is going to be potentually limiting to people such as myself who struggle with spelling, not to mention those who are English as a second language.

2) Will this handle UK English or just US English concidering that even Google tries to Autocorrect Colour

3) how will you handle regional naming. for example a wippersnipper is the only way I would discribe this
    http://www.sunshinestatemowers.com.au/stihl_whipper_snipper.jpg

But aparently in the UK its called a weedwacker

BTW I have left all the spelling mistakes there on purpose to show point one

2. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

I'm kind of hoping I can dictate to the game. So I can just speak to the bartender with no typing involved.

3. High Baron Asguard

that could be even more problematic, look how bad Siri is at recognising words and though that may help with the subtle spelling differences and the spelling errors you are adding issues of regional dioloects and accents which need to be taken into account and you still have the 3rd issue where you end up playing guess the noun\verb which old adventure games were plaged with, that wasn't a fun puzzle to be solved, it was just a pain in the ass

4. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

I know having to type and spell things correctly is a challenge, but I wouldn't call it limiting. It's true that word processors, email software, and even this forum have spell check, so I don't see why the game wouldn't have a spell check system as well. I personally would hope that it's an option we could toggle on or off in the settings menu though. I for one, and many of my friends, learned to read and write by playing text-based games like the Ultimas back in the 80's, and I think people playing these games would find the challenge both immersive, and very enjoyable.

derek6665 likes this.
  5. Jimirillo

Jimirillo Avatar

I'm in the process of watching the demo and was just thinking this myself, and was wondering if it would be possible to add support for Windows inbuilt voice recognition (I'm sure it's been inbuilt since XP), that way, the windows regional settings and training should remove the problems with accents and regional dialects.

6. knoxiTV

knoxiTV Avatar

Actually afaik, it's called a Strimmer. Weedwhacker is a brand name. Regional names and brands in SotA though will luckily be regional to New Britannia, and not the UK, US etc.

I dare say that if you're worried about your spelling or English, that this type of language centric gameplay is exactly what you do need, as it will no doubt help you improve your typing and language skills. Luckily though auto complete and auto correction technology is so extensively used these days that I doubt you'll have any problems, it works everywhere else, it will work in SotA.

docdoom77 likes this.
  7. Silver Sterling

Silver Sterling Avatar

One question would be aswell, if it works with other languages? My motherlanguage is for example german. I read aswell, that the game will be translated to german, but will this system work in german aswell?

8. High Baron Asguard

When he showed off the text window in the hangout it showed one of my issues

The "G'day mate" is a perfect example, lots of more country Australians use that (not so much us city folk, except maybe Tasmanians) put would someone from the US or even the UK expect that as a greeting?
    Would imagine a US example would be something like "Yo bitches" :p

Another example is that when someone asks me to do something, my natural answer is "no prob" "no problems" or "no prob :)"
    Now obviously the smily isn't going to be in a game like this but is the game going to recognise "no prob" as a "yes?"

I loved the old Sierra games but I was quite fortunate that I played them latter after the internet came out because the "guess the verb" game was just not fun, it wasn't a good puzzle it was shear stupidity

9. Miracle Dragon

You know, I always like to say " 'ello m'lord/m'lady! " when i'm roleplaying.. I wonder if it would be possible to input our own common phrases into the system, like in a chat options menu, so we can all have our very own personal preferences for basic speech patterns and make sure they are recognizable throughout the game?

10. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

They could have some sort of system to learn from players to get better however you have to expect that a USA made game is going to use USA English. I would expect a Uk made game to use Uk English. As for German that's been said to be officially supported any other language will have to wait. More than likely nothing will be translated until the game is completed enough to release. It's only been three months into development so I wouldn't expect to much in the translation department.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta

11. bcxanth

bcxanth Avatar

This is actually something I hadn't thought about much. When my girlfriend and I saw the chat system in the RT demo we both thought it was awesome. But I hadn't thought about how typos, slang, etc would impact the system. I wonder if it would be possible to launch the chat system in a testing format on the website and let the system learn from players by letting us have conversations with it.

12. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

Cool idea!

Sir Stile Teckel likes this.
  13. stile

stile Avatar

yeah, great idea. If its feasible it may not only be something they could develop for Sota but then offer it back to the unity using community (whether free or as a way to gain additional income).

14. bcxanth

bcxanth Avatar

Very true! :)

Sadly, this is all speculation based on assumptions about what the interactive chat system is capable of. I would love to know more about the system and what it's capable of. Is it a system that can learn from the conversations it has, or does it depend on generating a list of variants on different key words used by the player in order to trigger scripted responses? That's really the question at this point.

15. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

We should ply Lum with alcohol until he tells us what we want to know!

Sir Stile Teckel and bcxanth like this.
  16. Miracle Dragon

Based on what we've seen in videos, I'd say it's the second option, at least right now anyway. But I still like the idea of being able to help test the system here on the website. If nothing else, it'd allow us to grow accustomed to using it, so even if it can't learn from us, at least we'd have some time to learn from it. :)

17. stile

stile Avatar

Or bribe him with mountain dew.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

18. Seneschal

Seneschal Avatar

I think this is a good system... as long as we're all prepared for the inevitable comedy screenshots of all the times it goes wrong!

19. Myth2

Myth2 Avatar

Ja! Ich kann ein bischen Deutsch sprechen, aber bin ich zu blod fur Deutsch (Ich habe umlauts nicht). I imagine, the system will have to work in all languages supported, so German should be in.

20. hanskrsg

hanskrsg Avatar

I hadn't thought of this problem before you mentioned it Asguard. I do have a couple of dyslectic friends, and although one of them actually have less trouble with English than our own language when writing and reading, they would both have a lot of trouble if the chat system in this game is not flexible enough. Ingame spellcheckers and the sort people have talked about seems like a good idea. Thankfully I don't think syntax will matter much in the proposed system, but I am not a 100% sure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.