Why do we Hate Elves?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sonnington, May 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sonnington

Sonnington Avatar

First off, I know not all of us hate elves. This is more of a general question in regards to why we dislike seeing classic fantasy races in our games. I've seen comments about it before from the Ultima community in particular and I'm aware there was a debate over elves coming to UO back in the day.

So why do we hate elves but tolerate things like gargoyles? Personally, if a game features elves I'm turned right off, but it's almost never just elves. If a game features elves they're going to feature other races like dwarves, orcs, trolls, gnomes... bobbits, etc. I think part of it is the lack of creativity. The writers are taking well established fantasy races and putting them into their game whole sale to fill out large swaths of story with the most generic well known fantasy elements they can find.

Conversely, games like Ultima 6, Mass Effect. and Kingdom's of Amalur never turned me off with their use of different types of races. So it's not the racial tension or the overuse of race conflict and interaction. I also rather enjoy LotR and embrace its use of fantasy races, but only there and in that context.

So what is it that make so many of us hate elves?

Schmidbauer and FrostII like this.
  2. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I don't hate elves. I don't usually play an elven character. I think it is just personal preference. In the movie Lord of the Rings the elven race was beautiful and pure looking almost with a glowing kind of stature. The key word is fantasy and the ability to play a race that is not like real life and add fantasy roleplaying to the experience. So I'm not sure why someone else wanting to play an elven character should stop you from your desired path of fun. We are all after all realistically in real life humans playing a fantasy game. The picture does not have to look the same for each one of us and could not do that anyway. No one is exactly of the same mind in real life. That can add interest and interesting viewpoints and magical experiences to occur outside of our own thinking. True sometimes not magical experiences and the experiences are not good, but that is not the point of playing a game. There are many reasons to do this. I do think our elven characters can look more beautiful than the enemy elves in the game like in greymark forest with customizations eventually. I do not have an answer for why 'you' hate elves, that is of course your perogative. I have friends who love to play the elven character so I wish them to have that experience if that is what they enjoy. Well you asked and since I don't 'hate' elves perhaps I am derailing.:)

3. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

I am ok with elves. However, I can see why some might feel they have been over done and have lost their mystique. From the makes of it, this game will provide some good lore on why to loathe elves though.

TRLobo likes this.
  4. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

Elves? Them pointy eared bastages. Let them come underground and feel the wrath of me hammer.

Now humans! Them been done to death.

5. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

They don't taste very good...

6. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Exactly!

7. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

I'm not a fan of elves, being one of the most generic fantasy creatures but SOTA elves don't look too generic, they look kind of pale vampiric looking which is a good change

Schmidbauer likes this.
  8. Gareth Caliborne

Gareth Caliborne Avatar

Lack of creativity, like you said. If you're going to create your own world and lore, then create YOUR OWN world and lore, don't just take old overused stuff and pack it in there just for some sort of fantasy-based brand recognition or something.

Then again taking bits and pieces from other places and mashing them together has kinda always been Garriott's thing.

9. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

I'm pretty sure we will know more about Fomorians when the game will get out.

The clues about truth and Vertas Pass told by the Oracle are enough to tickle my curiosity.

Likewise with kobolds. Once you have a deep talk with their camp leader, many things change perspective...

Vyrin likes this.
  10. twotrees123

twotrees123 Avatar

Elves, where women look like women and men look like...well, women.

11. Epona

Epona Avatar

I like the diversity the elven race extends to the game. Elves are mysterious, mystical, hyper intelligent, aloof and powerful. Humans are too often a bit dull, greedy, a little barbaric and not terribly good-looking. It's a little tiresome to interact with just humans all the time. Elves are just as xenophobic as humans. The two races contrast yet also have in common the virtues.

Most players probably prefer a human avatar, so there wouldn't be an over-abundance of elves. I would appreciate the freedom to choose which race my avatar will be and I think diversity is healthy for the game.

FrostII likes this.
  12. Epona

Epona Avatar

I am not attracted to other women but I am attracted to Legolas. :) Elven men are beautiful specimens. LOL

13. Heradite

Heradite Avatar

I like how Dragon Age: Origins did Elves. It presented them in a slightly different light.

I'd love to see a more traditional take on Elves rather than Tolkeinesque Elves in games though. There's actually Christian theory work out there that posits Elves as demons or who saw Elves as angels who remained neutral during Lucifer's uprising so they were banished to Earth rather than hell.

Obviously Christianity doesn't exist in SOTA's world but I think it does show that there are rooms for different interpretations of elves than the ones we normally get. I don't know how SOTA plans to treat elves but hopefully it's less Tolkeinesque and more....original.

14. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

It definitely is an original take on elves. Blade of the Avatar should be required reading.

FrostII likes this.
  15. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Ok, so I'm sorta fascinated by the topic here, having several elf chars in another place - and nothing really peaked my interest until I see twotrees take on the topic:
    And that, of course, made me lmao, so to speak.....
    And I'm thinkin', hmmm I can't argue that....

But then I see Epona's post:
    And I'm back to thinkin' - yea, Legolas.... Ok, we're good..... ;)

Forest_Dweller likes this.
  16. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Glad to see you're still with us, twotrees - and welcome Epona......;)

Epona likes this.
  17. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Oh, and WE don't ALL hate Elves - btw.... I see them in a much more favorable light.

They're nimble, occasionally live in trees, are supurb archers - and - from what I understand, make incredible sexual partners - all excellent qualities in my mind....

When I think of how I'd want my Elf char to be, here's how I envision her.....

[​IMG]

Her armor is as minimal as she is...

And with nothing but her bow, her wits and her allure - she will do just fine, thank you - as will all of her descendents...

And for whoever it was who said: "They don't taste very good...", well - are you sure about that?

[​IMG]

18. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

Mmmm. Well, these elves are twisted creations.
    [​IMG]

19. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Hey, those are the offsprings of some bizarre Obsidian encounter.... Poor things.:mad:

20. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

Literally.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.