Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

/zone changes

Discussion in 'Release 18 Feedback' started by parallelogram, May 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. parallelogram

parallelogram Avatar

Hey guys, I am not sure if I am posting this in the right forum but your team has made an awful mistake.

I assumed that /zone wouldn't be changed until something like recall/mark/gate travel was implemented. Maybe even a moon gate? 15 minutes to /zone is insane considering there is only an overland map.

The current travel system is pathetic. Every time I indulge in overload travel I think to myself "so glad we have /zone!!!" Not being able to zone to locations in pre-alpha is going to heavily detour me from participating in pre-alpha. This is going to put a massive barrier to entry on new players trying to explore the map.

However I can troll this entire system and go pay to play for travel perks. I can purchase new accounts and place houses all over the map and I can zone to them more quickly! Let's show all the new players this trick and see how long they play.

You would think that something as simple as /zone wouldn't have a huge effect on players. I am ready to set Shroud aside until this is changed.

Any time I reach a situation where I need to travel and /zone is not available, I will opt to log out and do something else. I am not opting for the lazy path as travel in this game is too painful for me. Expanding a map and limiting travel in a game where travel is awful is not logical.

2. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

Since this is not a bug moving to feedback

Duke Raas likes this.
  3. Heradite

Heradite Avatar

"Current thinking is that this will be a spell that requires reagents and will have a very long windup and even longer cooldown to prevent exploits and reinforce local economies."

Well you are going to hate the final launch game then because teleporting like /zone will be a spell with reagents-so it's currently moving there. You also won't just be able to zone to your house.
    The real exploit though is following a party leader.

SmokerKGB likes this.
  4. parallelogram

parallelogram Avatar

Heradite, you are missing my point entirely. This is pre alpha and there is no spell with reagents that is implemented yet. The intention is there, I have read that as well but that spell is not here yet. Thus, we must live with this pain until then. They should remove /zone when they add that feature.

I was a huge fan of Siege Perilous on OSI. I loved the local economies. I loved how hard skill gain was. It was awesome. Siege Perilous did not have an overland map to travel. Overland map travel is like taking a 300 mile road trip alone with no CDs. This is no Siege Perilous.

FrostII, amaasing and Moonshadow like this.
  5. Heradite

Heradite Avatar

Ok. Why do you hate the current travel system and do you think those problems will be addressed by the time the game is launched? The overland map isn't going anywhere so if they can't make the travel system "good" for you then are you going to like this game at launch when teleporting is more difficult? Right now it just has a warm-up period and a cooldown and you are already unhappy.

I don't know what Siege Perilous is so using that as a reference point is lost on me.

6. parallelogram

parallelogram Avatar

What is your in game name Heradite?

7. Heradite

Heradite Avatar

I'm not in the game atm but it's currently Heradite I believe in both servers.

8. Quenton

Quenton Avatar

I don't understand how you've been playing up till now with the mindset of "thank god I have /zone because overland map travel is terrible"?

The slow walking through forests etc was removed a release or two ago, so overland travel is pretty great now. But you're still finding it intolerable?

Atogrim likes this.
  9. rob2

rob2 Avatar

The slow walking is back. With R17, overland travel was a breeze, now it's miserably slow again :(

I'm not sure why they decided to do this, but it's a real drag.

Epona, Heradite, FrostII and 2 others like this.
  10. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

Yesterday in R18 travel off the beaten path was at a snail's pace (at least for me), so I assumed that slow movement was back in. I only mind this at night, because it is so dark, I can't see where I'm going.

The ability to zone to players is certainly convenient. ("I have loot to sell - is anyone I know in Owl's Head?") So is the ability to buy lot deeds in-game and claim up to 3 lots to zone back and forth from. I was already feeing that I was getting spoiled by all the convenience, and that playing the released game would seem like a hardship and not as much fun in comparison. For this reason alone I am rather grateful to be slowly weaned off the mechanics of fast travel that won't be easily available in the released game.

I do hope that the fast travel spell is introduced soon.

11. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

From what I can see, the slow walk is back in.......and yeah it's pretty intolerable.

Epona, amaasing, Heradite and 3 others like this.
  12. Quenton

Quenton Avatar

OK I haven't had a chance to get on since R18 came out. So if it's back in, blarg !

13. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

One of the biggest arguments to remove fast travel has been to support local economies........will it? Really?

The world is way way too small for it to have a realistic impact. How long would it take a player to travel to the other side of the map? A week?, a day? An hour? Or more like 15-20 minutes at the most if there is a good population. If there isn't a good population it would take longer due to control points....buy hey if there isn't much of a population there's not much of an economy to protect.

So the real answer behind all this is that fast travel is not introduced in order to 'encourage' players to travel over world map and take part in the random/roaming encounters.......if the over world map was the best player experience ever then there wouldn't be much of a problem......the issue is that probably about a 3rd of players aren't that keen on the map system but live it with; there are many players who find travelling across it tedious (was a lot better last release, but now it's slow again), I'm yet to really find anyone who enjoys the random encounters....I expect most who get pulled in just say a few choice words and leave the scene. The danger is that it all becomes a massive turn off.

Epona, Drystone and FrostII like this.
  14. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

The other detrimental aspect is also the effect on group activities. Yes it may be fine for "organised" events....... For me as a PvPer I don't really take part in them (and there are many like me).....what about organised PvP events?.... Well not my thing either really......I like more spontaneous activities.

It's hard enough to get a good response time out of players when using voice chat and instant travel......trying to get a group of players together based on the current system; by the time everyone gets to the location players will have had to log off to do rl things or the reason your meeting up is no longer relevant (those group of players who we were going to attack have now gone).

So we talk about a "community" but if there is a lack of fast travel, it will be classed as one of the most anti-social mmo type games in existence.

FrostII and Moonshadow like this.
  15. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Slow overland travel is definitely back. R17 fast travel was so refreshing, made the game eminently more enjoyable and playable. R17 I actually played a little. R18 I just did the hat quest and probably won't do much, if anything, until the next release.

Such slow travel will kill this game for many, many players. Please speed it back up.

And not being able to zone to your house, in future releases, will be a killer too. I fail to see how removing this feature will do anything but detract from the playing experience.

Epona, amaasing, Parallaxe and 4 others like this.
  16. Parallaxe

Parallaxe Avatar

I do not understand why one would limit /zone during test/alpha. It's OK to have a cooldown once the game has been released. But for testing purposes during alpha, this makes absolutely no sense to me. Testing in alpha should bring players quickly to the places where they want to test something. The 15 min cooldown on /zone is prohibiting this. I'm with Budner, I will only do the hat quest.

17. redfish

redfish Avatar

Anyone have experience with using /zone after a forced logout?

Sometimes I'm kicked out of the game by a graphics performance problem -- then, when I log back in, I'm in a different instance. So, if I'm at an event, and I need to be in the older instance to be at the event, its a problem, and I use /zone to get back to where I need to go.

However, that could be a problem it if I'm blocked by the zone timer.

Epona and Budner like this.
  18. Erastus

Erastus Avatar

I think everyone should listen to the words of this song...

Slow down and enjoy the game... Everything shouldn't be automatic.

19. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

I have experienced this but mostly at the pvp arenas in owls head and adrios

20. Quenton

Quenton Avatar

Guys if players are missing events because they can't zone, they need to find a way around it. They shouldn't rely on it like that, and certainly not after the game is out when the real deal events will be taking place.

FrostII and Hazard like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.